Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I didn't actually say who won, just that it went to a decision. The whole thing's up on youtube (or was, as of yesterday)

But it went to points so no chance of seeing a knock out so no mater how close it may look to beinhg stopped, I know it won't be. Either way, don't matter.

Fair point. you'll really enjoy it when you see it, I'd say it was better than the other 2 fights, and one of them was last years best fight so it stands a good chance of winning that award again.

I'm finding it harder to keep up with the big fights with so many of them going over to Setanta, but I caught this a couple of hours ago on youtube. I pariculairly liked big Macs' drunken stumble as he tried to get up and work out what day of the week it was. I had to get on the blower and rub my Grandads, who also likes his boxing, face in it as we've been arguing about the winner since this match was announced and I've been picking Haye. I hope he still packs that punch at heavyweight, he could shake some life back into that division.

Bugger, Enzo got owned. What does everyone think to Haye stepping up to heavyweight?

He'll get fucked over fairly quickly.Even if he retains his power and doesn't sacrifice too much speed he still won't be able to cover up the fact that he can't take much of a shot. I like Haye and he is good fun but unfotunately God made him the wrong size - too big to be a cruiser and too small to match up at heavyweight.

What the fuck? Seriously, don't be silly. Chagaev and Peter are shorter and have a smaller reach. Haye was coming down from 215-220 lbs to make 200lbs. He'll be a 235-240lb heavyweight and he won't be fat with that, as Peter is at 250.

What the fuck? Seriously, don't be silly. Chagaev and Peter are shorter and have a smaller reach. Haye was coming down from 215-220 lbs to make 200lbs. He'll be a 235-240lb heavyweight and he won't be fat with that, as Peter is at 250.

Haye weighs between 210 & 215, you can't put on 15-20lbs of muscle and still function properly (unless you are a freak like Holyfield). It also doesn't change what the fact that his weight isn't the issue - when he gets hit on the chin by a genuine 230 pounder he'll be on silly street. As a cruiserweight all of his other assets allow him to cover up (most of the time) the fact that he has a glass jaw, at heavyweight that won't happen.Peter (who is shit) would kill him.

• Paid Members

Haye weighs between 210 & 215, you can't put on 15-20lbs of muscle and still function properly (unless you are a freak like Holyfield). It also doesn't change what the fact that his weight isn't the issue - when he gets hit on the chin by a genuine 230 pounder he'll be on silly street. As a cruiserweight all of his other assets allow him to cover up (most of the time) the fact that he has a glass jaw, at heavyweight that won't happen.Peter (who is shit) would kill him.
Haye put the weakness in his chin down to the fact that he has to cut so much weight to make Cruiser...he said at heavyweight there'd be no problem. If that's true is yet to be seen obviously.

Haye put the weakness in his chin down to the fact that he has to cut so much weight to make Cruiser...he said at heavyweight there'd be no problem. If that's true is yet to be seen obviously.
The Carl Thompson fight was before he was seriously cutting weight, no one intending to get hit by a big heavyweight should struggle when getting hit by Thompson - who was a small cruiser at best. The gap between heavywight and crusierwight is so much bigger than people think - just ask Johnny Nelson.I just don't buy the whole Haye for heavyweight thing. I might be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) but I'm gonna stick with the theory that the first time a big stong heavyweight starts landing it will all go a bit Pete Tong. Edited by Joe_the_Lion