Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

It's not right is it? Eubank without the lisp is like a Jeremy Kyle guest with a full set of teeth. It just doesn't work. It's alien and its not as funny.

I grew up hearing that lisp. That dentist has robbed us of our childhood memories. Is this treatment reversable? They must bring back the lisp.

• Paid Members

Just a heads up for anyone who's got Premier Sports.

The Rafael Marquez vs Toshiaki Nishioka fight won't be shown live now because UFC on Versus 6 is being shown at that time free to air.

Marquez/Nishioka will be shown on delay the next morning at 5.15am from what I gather and probably shown a few times on Sunday. It's only viewable if you subscribe to the channel I'm afraid. Only the UFC show will be free.

• Paid Members

Watched this yesterday

The-Definitive-Boxing-Legends-4-DVD-Box-Set-Fabulous-Four-Hagler-Hearns-Leonard-Duran-Tyson-Muhammad-Ali-and-The-History-of-Heavyweight-Boxing.jpg

I'd been watching a bunch of the fights from these 4 recently and my brother bought me this DVD a while back so I thought I'd give it a watch.

I was hoping it would be a documentary type thing but it was pretty much just a bunch of highlights with a voiceover bloke narrating. It was decent, pretty enjoyable to watch and the Hagler/Hearns 3 round war is on there in full but it could have been so much better. If you've seen the fights this doesn't offer anything else. It barely even touches on the 'No mas' fight between Leonard and Duran.

I'd love to see them do a proper documentary on the rivalry between these 4 while they're all still about. So many interesting stories, great fights and controversy between them.

I watched the Leonard vs Hagler fight last night for the first time in a while. It's one of the most debated decisions in boxing history. Razor close. Watching it last night I had Sugar Ray winning by a point but I could see how people would think Halger won because he was more aggressive and seemed to land the more damaging punches. Either way, it was a great performance from Leonard considering he'd been out so long and came back against a killer like Hagler.

One interesting story I read about Leonard/Hagler (think I read it in the Four Kings book). Coming into the fight Leonard got pretty much everything his way, from the size of the ring, having it as a 12 rounder when Hagler wanted a 15 round fight and he got to choose the type of gloves. The only thing Hagler's camp insisted on was that British judge Harry Gibbs be replaced by a Mexican judge (Hagler's camp were still pissed off about the treatment he got in Britain after he beat Alan Minter so didn't want a British judge).

Anyway, as it turned out Leonard won a split decision and the Mexican judge Hagler's camp insisted on ended up scoring the fight 118-110 for Leonard, which was a ridiculous margin of 10 rounds to 2. Gibbs the original judge watching at home, said he scored it for Hagler.

So if Hagler's team and left the judges how they were Hagler would have won the fight. Bet that pisses him off to this day.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Tim Bradley is fighting Joel Casamayor on the Pac/Marquez undercard

so the card is looking like this now

Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez

Tim Bradley vs Joel Casamayor

Mike Alvarado vs Breidis Prescott

Luis Cruz vs Juan Carlos Burgos

Brandon Rios vs Kevin Mitchell was rumoured aswell but that's likely going ahead in December now, possibly on the Cotto vs Margarito card or the week after.

• Paid Members

What a great first night of fights on Box Nation. Really strong show top to bottom.Walsh vs Appleby was a fucking tremendous fight. Back and forth and impossible to predict what would happen next, proper edge of the seat war that was. When Walsh got knocked down I really thought he was done. Great comeback.Karo Murat vs Gabriel Campillo from Germany was excellent aswell.Cracking night of boxing and I've still got Marquez/Nishioka and Martinez/Barker to watch yet.

• Paid Members

Yesterday was the 36th anniversary of one of the greatest and most famous fights in boxing history, Ali vs Frazier 3 - the 'Thrilla in Manila'

ALI%20FRAZIER(1).JPG

and on the subject of Ali here's one of his appearances on Parky in the 70s (part 1 leads to the rest of the interview)

Part 1 -

if you haven't seen it watch it, it's TV fucking gold.

Edited by wandshogun09

I'm probably the only boxing fan who could never warm to Ali. After seeing the way he treated Joe Frazier back in the day, and how the media simply forgot all about it when he started to suffer from his illness doesn't sit well with me.I prefer Frazier & Marciano as my favourite fighters, and believe that Marciano is the greatest heavyweight of all time.

• Paid Members

Box Nation are repeating the weekends boxing from 8pm tonight. Starts with the Cunningham vs Hernandez show which also featured a cracking fight with Murat vs Campillo.

Then the Walsh vs Appleby fight is on at 10. Go out of your way to watch that one if you missed it Saturday. Great bunch of fights.

Sky channel 456, get it Sky+'ed.

• Paid Members

whats everyone's opinion on last weekend's Martinez/Barker fight?been a kind of weird reaction to the fight. I watched the Sky broadcast, which was very pro-Barker. They made me feel like the fight was really close and gave nothing but praise to Barker after finally losing in the 11th round. I picked up Boxing News this week though and the reaction across the pond was apparently a lot different, saying that Barker was poor with many believing he took a bit of a dive to get out of the fight.where do you sit?

• Paid Members

I deffo thought Barker gave a good effort, he was just outmatched imo. The Sky commentators did seem a bit pro Barker to me, I never gave Barker more than 2 or 3 rounds myself and had Martinez comfortably ahead before the stoppage.

I thought Barker done well, but always got the impression that Martinez could step it up a gear whenever he wanted. I had him winning a few rounds from about 3-6 then the others up till about 9 were close I thought. As for taking a dive that is just ridiculous, he was just fatigued and apparently when you get hit with a shot where he did it

Edited by Mr Lawrence