Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

It's been hyped really well. There face-off on Ringside was sensational. Remember when Hayemaker had there deal with Setanta and Groves would go on and run his mouth about beating Degale in the ABAs. Degale's been almost Mayweather-esque in his last two outings i.e. the way he picks his shots off and defends himself by tucking in his shoulder.

Still think Groves will shock the world though. Even David Haye agrees -

We had a welcome visitor to training camp this week, as Commonwealth super-middleweight champion George Groves arrived in Miami to begin preparation ahead of his own upcoming title fight.

George has been a training partner of mine for a number of years now and it's great to have him out here in Miami. They say success breeds success and, if that's the case, it can only be a positive thing to have the pair of us working in tandem.

As you will probably know by now, George is set to face his big rival James DeGale on May 21st at the O2 Arena in London. Up for grabs that night will be the British and Commonwealth titles. It's a massive domestic showdown for the pair of them, and brings to mind my own fight with Enzo Maccarinelli in 2008.

I know what it feels like to engage in that kind of grudge match and I know how it feels to fight on another promoter's show. I boxed on a Frank Warren show the night I defeated Maccarinelli in two rounds, so I've been there and done exactly what George will look to do on May 21st.

I just hope he can tap into that experience out here in Miami and use anything I can offer to his benefit. George is a level-headed guy and is very mature for his age, so I've got no doubt he'll have his head screwed on and will be in frightening shape by the time fight night arrives.

While my fight with Maccarinelli three years ago had a certain edge to it, nothing can compare to what has gone on between George and James. They have both known each other since they were little kids and they've never really seen eye-to-eye. This was evident last week at their press conference to announce the fight, as both guys took turns to slag the other one off.

The whole scene was a boxing fan's wet dream and I can imagine it won't be too difficult to shift tickets for the event now. Everybody loves a grudge match and they don't get much more authentic than this.

It goes without saying, the victor in May will be the guy that can best keep his head and emotions in check. We'll be working on keeping George as cold and clinical as possible over these next few weeks and we feel we have the tools at our disposal to ensure he is ready to beat DeGale when it matters.

Despite what DeGale says, there is no way he will be better prepared than George on the night of the fight. He won't have the sparring, training, advice or facilities that George will experience in the coming weeks. George will be working alongside genuine world-class fighters and will be sparring world-class fighters on a daily basis.

DeGale can talk all he wants, but he's not testing himself the way George is in the gym and he's not mixing with world champions the way George is.

Nobody blows smoke up George's arse and he's never been wrapped in cotton wool. He's had to learn the hard way, and he's a better fighter for it. He knows Miami won't be a holiday, and he wouldn't want it any other way.

Until next time...

David Haye

AKA 'The Hayemaker'

Also, check out his padwork:

• Paid Members

I was wondering what Herbie was up to. He's recently been campaigning at cruiserweight and was on a bit of a win streak (http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=2039&cat=boxer). He then seem to drop off the face of the map and hasn't fought since last April.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-12939717

1 April 2011 Last updated at 17:28

Herbie Hide appears in Norwich court charged with rape

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Herbie Hide has appeared in court in Norwich charged with rape.

Mr Hide, 39, of Long Lane, Bawburgh, Norfolk, appeared before magistrates on Friday charged with raping a woman between 1 November and 7 November 2010.

Mr Hide, who entered no plea, was remanded in custody to appear before Norwich Crown Court on 15 April.

He held the World Boxing Organisation version of the title twice, including a two-year reign from 1997 to 1999.

imV7LW.gif

Samuel Peter got laid out big-time on Saturday night!

Damn right he did.

Ouch! Thats pretty lax from referee there. Should be getting mouth guard and rolling into recovery position when they are sparkled like that, and, quite clearly not going to make 30 let alone a 10 count.

Kahn vs. McCloskey has been moved from Sky Box Office to Sky Sports 3!

The fall-out from the Audley Harrison fiasco is temporarily knocking Amir Khan off the pay-TV money-go-round.

Khan

• Paid Members

Glad the Khan fight is on Sky Sports this time. Wouldn't have paid for it to be honest so would've had to make do with a stream or download the next day which would've meant somehow avoiding the result. Be nice to watch it live.

Been watching some old fights lately. Some I'd seen before and some I hadn't. Loved the shit out of these

Nigel Benn vs Michael Watson

(I'd seen both these guys vs Eubank but never saw this for some reason. I've seen this called the British Hagler/Hearns and I can see why, wild non stop fight with a big finish)

James Toney vs Vassiliy Jirov

(this was a cracking fight, 12 round battle all the way. The knockdown by Toney at the end sealed the win but it was a real competitive fight to that point)

Evander Holyfield vs Riddick Bowe trilogy

(fuckin awesome stuff, easily one of the best trilogies in the history of the fight game. Holyfield/Bowe 1 in particular is an all time classic, deffo one of my favourite HW fights ever)

• Paid Members

great news about the Khan fight! I was going to pay for it, but i'll happily take it for free :) Probably has something to do with the box office show in May as well, 2 in 2 months might be a bit much.

• Paid Members
Glad the Khan fight is on Sky Sports this time. Wouldn't have paid for it to be honest so would've had to make do with a stream or download the next day which would've meant somehow avoiding the result. Be nice to watch it live.

Been watching some old fights lately. Some I'd seen before and some I hadn't. Loved the shit out of these

Nigel Benn vs Michael Watson

(I'd seen both these guys vs Eubank but never saw this for some reason. I've seen this called the British Hagler/Hearns and I can see why, wild non stop fight with a big finish)

James Toney vs Vassiliy Jirov

(this was a cracking fight, 12 round battle all the way. The knockdown by Toney at the end sealed the win but it was a real competitive fight to that point)

Evander Holyfield vs Riddick Bowe trilogy

(fuckin awesome stuff, easily one of the best trilogies in the history of the fight game. Holyfield/Bowe 1 in particular is an all time classic, deffo one of my favourite HW fights ever)

watched Bowe/Holyfield II not long ago, great fight obviously remembered for the fan-man deal, but a great fight all the same. Holyfield was a beast.

I need to get some James Toney stuff, ive seen more of his later stuff but i do really need to get some old shit when he was in his prime.

great news about the Khan fight! I was going to pay for it, but i'll happily take it for free :) Probably has something to do with the box office show in May as well, 2 in 2 months might be a bit much.

According to The Sun, they have pulled it from box office because it is the same day Man Utd play Man City, and they are worried that people wouldn’t stay in and pay for boxing when they could go out and watch the football.

According to the Gurdian, it is because of a weak undercard, and the Mail have decided it is “them Darkies” fault, and come to the conclusion that because Haye Vs. Harrison was so poor, that no one will buy this fight.

Edited by Mr Posh

• Paid Members

According to The Sun, they have pulled it from box office because it is the same day Man Utd play Man City, and they are worried that people wouldn

• Paid Members
watched Bowe/Holyfield II not long ago, great fight obviously remembered for the fan-man deal, but a great fight all the same. Holyfield was a beast.

I need to get some James Toney stuff, ive seen more of his later stuff but i do really need to get some old shit when he was in his prime.

have a watch of Toney/Jirov if you can get hold of it. 26/04/03 the date was if that helps. Haven't seen a lot of Toney really, but this was my favourite fight I've seen of his so far, great watch.