Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

According to the good folks at eastsideboxing, The Khan ppv did about 49,000 buys. Franks Warren said before hand they needed about 250,000. Ouch, springs to mind.Sky have finally done something to justify the money I pay by bringing us Shane Mosely vs Ricardo Mayorga tonight. I'm going with Mosely, TKO somewhere in the last third of the fight.

I'm going to be honest, I'm surprised the Khan fight did that many buys. And that buyrate will drop hugely for his next fight on December 6th-the same night that the first major world title fight of ITV's new Boxing deal takes place, when Carl Froch challenges for the World Super Middleweight title on itv1.Forgive the well worn saying, but that is one, epic, epic fail.World title fight on free TV, or a Khan v Johnny Jobber fight on Box Office?

Have you heard it confirmed that his next fight will be on ppv? I'd assumed they wouldn't have the gall to expect people to pay for his next fight after what happened last time.

By the way, I found the article, an interview with Frank warren, where he states that it was Khans' financial demands which meant they had to take him to pay per view. So I'm officially a hater now.

Click

Have you heard it confirmed that his next fight will be on ppv? I'd assumed they wouldn't have the gall to expect people to pay for his next fight after what happened last time.By the way, I found the article, an interview with Frank warren, where he states that it was Khans' financial demands which meant they had to take him to pay per view. So I'm officially a hater now.Click

I haven't heard it officially confirmed-but seeing as they need it to be on PPV to make any money out of it I'd imagine it would need to be on SBO.Obviously, if it is on PPV, you are going to need a massive "undercard" fight to sell PPVs, but the quandry is-it cant be a fight too big otherwise it would upset the Khan peeps that he isn't top billing.Put it this way, I would be surprised if his next fight isn't on Box Office. It would an absolutely stupid decision if they did, particularly with Carl Froch on primetime free TV the same night.

The ending to that Mosely fight was like something out of a movie. I honestly couldn't beleive my eyes. I thought Mayorga was miles ahead on points, even with a knockdown in the last round he still should have won, all he had to do was stay vertical for about 5 more seconds, then boom, down he goes again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

just watched Vitali Klitschko/Samuel Peter...the fact that Samuel Peter held the most recognised heavyweight title is a sad indication of how bad heavyweight boxing is. He was hopelessly outclassed from the opening bell. The guy was basically a punching bag for 8 rounds before (wisely) pulling out.Klitschko looked pretty good, but he was fighting such a slow labored fighter i think it would have taken something catastrophic for him to fuck this up. Two brothers now are heavyweight champions at the same time, first time it's ever happened. oh and speaking of the shitness of heavyweight boxing, Evander Holyfield is fighting for a heavyweight title again in December, why!?!?

• Paid Members

just watched Vitali Klitschko/Samuel Peter...the fact that Samuel Peter held the most recognised heavyweight title is a sad indication of how bad heavyweight boxing is. He was hopelessly outclassed from the opening bell. The guy was basically a punching bag for 8 rounds before (wisely) pulling out.Klitschko looked pretty good, but he was fighting such a slow labored fighter i think it would have taken something catastrophic for him to fuck this up. Two brothers now are heavyweight champions at the same time, first time it's ever happened. oh and speaking of the shitness of heavyweight boxing, Evander Holyfield is fighting for a heavyweight title again in December, why!?!?

Just finished watching the Klitschko fight, I honestly believe most of the rounds must have been 10-8 rounds. Peter did nothing - he knew he was in out of his depth from the opening bell! Holyfield is getting yet another shot because nobody out there has the name value to draw money - even though Holyfield will likely lose badly! The heavyweight division is doomed unless someone new breaks through. Its the same tired old names. David Haye is a possibility but lets see how good his chin actually is first!

That's fucked any chance of seeing an undisputed heavyweight champ anytime soon, I don't see anyone one on the horizon capable of beating either brother, and they'll never fight each other.

I doubt he'll retire. If he wins impressively there'll be too big a payday on offer for him to retire. If he loses he won't want to retire on a loss. Only if he wins un-impressively or gets a gift decision do I think he'll retire.

Agreed. He's not had any wars so he is a stupidly young 36/37. I still think he will end up fighting Pavlik. I think Calzaghe can still do the business and outclass him. But he won't fight Froch, there is absolutely NO money at all in that one. It would be a good domestic fight but Calzaghe left the domestic arena behind as soon as the Lacy fight started.