Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

If I was Hatton, here's what I'd do. Forget about going up any more weight classes, stay at light welterweight. Make it a goal to clear out the division, he's still the linear light welterweight champion but there's 4 guys walking aroung with paper titles, none of whom he couldn't beat. Start off with Gavin Rees, who isn't really world class in my opinion and only has a belt because his opponent was sleep walking through the match. Get in there as quick as possible as well, he's not getting any younger and can't afford another year where he only fights once. Dismantle this kid, it'll re-build his confidence a bit and put a belt around his waiste.After that, target IBF champ Paulie Malignaggi. It'd be a pretty big fight as he's making a name for himself in America. Now I can see this being an ideal fight for Hatton, Malignaggi is slick but can't punch at all, Hatton won't have to worry about getting hit and can get inside and rough him up as he likes too. Probably best to stay clear of Rocardo Torres, who's the opposite, a banger.After that, build up too a big domestic unification fight with Junior Witter, the WBC champ. Drum it up and I'm sure they could sell out a football stadium for this, make it the biggest British bout since Benn/Eubank. People have been running down Hatton since the Mayweather fight like he was a glorified journeyman all along, forgetting he beat Kostya Tszyu, one of the all time great light welterweights. Witter looked good in his last bout, but Vivian Harris is no Tszyu, and who's he beaten other than that to give the impression he'd beat Hatton?And don't fight Oscar De La Hoya. If you can't beat welterweights don't fight middleweights.

If I was Hatton, here's what I'd do. Forget about going up any more weight classes, stay at light welterweight. Make it a goal to clear out the division, he's still the linear light welterweight champion but there's 4 guys walking aroung with paper titles, none of whom he couldn't beat. Start off with Gavin Rees, who isn't really world class in my opinion and only has a belt because his opponent was sleep walking through the match. Get in there as quick as possible as well, he's not getting any younger and can't afford another year where he only fights once. Dismantle this kid, it'll re-build his confidence a bit and put a belt around his waiste.After that, target IBF champ Paulie Malignaggi. It'd be a pretty big fight as he's making a name for himself in America. Now I can see this being an ideal fight for Hatton, Malignaggi is slick but can't punch at all, Hatton won't have to worry about getting hit and can get inside and rough him up as he likes too. Probably best to stay clear of Rocardo Torres, who's the opposite, a banger.After that, build up too a big domestic unification fight with Junior Witter, the WBC champ. Drum it up and I'm sure they could sell out a football stadium for this, make it the biggest British bout since Benn/Eubank. People have been running down Hatton since the Mayweather fight like he was a glorified journeyman all along, forgetting he beat Kostya Tszyu, one of the all time great light welterweights. Witter looked good in his last bout, but Vivian Harris is no Tszyu, and who's he beaten other than that to give the impression he'd beat Hatton?And don't fight Oscar De La Hoya. If you can't beat welterweights don't fight middleweights.

Good theory but there are some parts I don;t agree with. Hatton Vs. Rees will be awful and I agree with you, Rees got the right guy on the right day to win that belt. Maliganggi is over rated. He has one good fight where he put up a brave battle against Cotto and can see Hatton smacking him around the same way. The thing with Witter is no-one wants him. There can be no doubting he has been avoided as a fighter and I genuinely believe that Hatton has not done anything Witter couldn't have (other than beat Tszyu with a body shot). I am not saying I don;t agree and I think the route you suggested may well be the one the Hatton camp takes but it is not the one I would like to see as a fan.Ona side note, how do you think Froch will do against Inkin in March? Do you think if he wins then Calzaghe will take him on. Now THAT is a domestic fight I would kill to see.

Hatton Vs. Rees will be awful and I agree with you, Rees got the right guy on the right day to win that belt

As a fight probably, but it'd be good for Hatton, recent interviews he's done make him sound like a broken man, mentally. rees is as weak a world champion I've ever seen, smacking him arounf at the MEN arena before a sold out 100% pro Hatton crowd for a world title would be good nfor him and his fans.

Maliganggi is over rated. He has one good fight where he put up a brave battle against Cotto and can see Hatton smacking him around the same way

He looked good against Edner Cherry. He's got a fight coming up, we'll see how he does there. But it's a fight that could be high profile, not a "superfight", but a big one against a American with some name value that Hatton could win.Then hopefully he'd face Witter, put an end to all this ducking talk. If he rebuilds himself a bit then that is easily the biggest fight available to him at light welterweight. Taking a rematch against Mayweather, or staying at welterweight to fight Shane Mosley, Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya or anyone else pretty much guarantees defeat.

Ona side note, how do you think Froch will do against Inkin in March

I've never seen Dennis Inkin, so I'm not sure. This fight makes the winner Calzaghe's mandatory doesn't it? I like Froch, he leaves himself open with his sloppy defence but I think he beats anyone at super middleweight except Calzaghe or maybe Kessler.

Do you think if he wins then Calzaghe will take him on

Probably not. He's after big pay days and looks like he'll abandon super middle to fight Bernard Hopkins. I don't see what other fights are going to make him money in that division after Hopkins though, maybe after that he might fight Froch. If Calzaghe does leave the division I wouldn't mind Froch vs Kessler to declare a new leader of the division.

He looked good against Edner Cherry. He's got a fight coming up, we'll see how he does there.

Well that Malignaggi fight was dodgy as hell. He lost that by at least 3 rounds. How one judge reckoned Malignaggi won by 6 clear rounds I will never know! The only thing I hate about boxing, American judges!!!!Wanted to go to the Haye Vs. Macaranelli fight but too expensive as everyone said. It is going to go about 6-7 rounds I reckon and will be one hell of a slug fest! Keep an eye on the Johannsen fight this Friday too, should be a cracker!

Hatton talk.

It's looking highly possible Ricky Hatton will be taking on Gavin Rees in his next fight, looking to regain his old WBA light welterweight title. Gavin Rees may have the most pathetic record of any "world" champion ever, more than half his fights have been with guys who've lost more then they've won, and he'd never fought anyone of even domestic title quality until he some how won that belt from a guy who must not have got enough sleep the night before or something. Hatton will murderize him. I don't know why they're talking about a fight in May though, does he really need 4 months to train for Gavin Rees?

Sadly I don't think it will and it is Hattons camp that have been dodging this fight for nearly a decade. Good domestic fight on Saturday with the Mitchell borthers both doing their bit. I really hope the Mitchell Vs. Johanssen match does happen on the Haye/Macranelli undercard as it would be a domestic fight to behold!Interesting to see Thaxton Vs. Khan could be on again. Won't hold my breath though! Lastly for now, expect to see Skelton get murdered by Chagaev this weekend but hope he proves me wrong. And as for Jones Jr. Vs. Trinidad... I hope it isn't too washed up fighters there just for a pay day.

That Mitchell fight on Saturday was apparantly awful , a 39 year old on a losing streak, takes a beating. Hardly main event stuff. Apparantly Small V Takaloo was good, though.

I watched it and Kevin Mitchell fought what was in front of him (a third choice opponent after 2 pull outs) and sadly, Torres wasn't up to the job. Vinny Mitchell was in a blood and thunder bout against Robin Deakin that could have been held in a phone box and is the best 4 rounder I have seen in a long time. I would be more than happy to see a re-match of that one.The Small/Takaloo match was the good domestic match I was talking about. Takaloo showed his age and as much as I like the guy I wish he would now retire. In saying that, Small finally showed what a good boxer he is (although he really needs to stop showboating sometimes or he is going to have a 'Barrera' moment and he came damn close at the weekend)

The Guardian are reporting that ITV may pull out of their Sports Network contract due to other sports rights cost, namely the FA Cup and England matches. While theres only a live fight on terrestrial once every so often, its good for fight fans with no access to Sky or Setanta. Heres the article anyway...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jan/14/itv.television

The Guardian are reporting that ITV may pull out of their Sports Network contract due to other sports rights cost, namely the FA Cup and England matches. While theres only a live fight on terrestrial once every so often, its good for fight fans with no access to Sky or Setanta. Heres the article anyway...http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jan/14/itv.television

Same as the BBC. They dabbled, found they couldn't compete and gave it up. Damn shame really however hats off to Setanta. The talent of matches they show and their announcing team is the sole reason I have it now, sod the premiership games!