DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members
Like someone said, an explanation for how Xavier ended up in the wheelchair would be interesting and I can imagine that could be explained in the Magneto Origins.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

The truth is fairly boring in that Xavier got into a fight with an alien called Lucifer who dropped a big rock on him.

There's not been much mentioned about the character though so I imagine that someone else will get drawn into that story if they ever put it on the big screen.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Wolverine was fucking rubbish.

So boring I can't even really be bothered to say much more than that.

For a film to be so poor that even when I know all the characters it still gave me no reason whatsoever to give a shit about them is pretty bad form. The action wasn't anything special, and there wasn't much of a story, just stuff happening... It just plain sucked.

Could have done with more Ryan Reynolds, too.

I also recently watched Failure to Launch. Has JLM reviewed that one already? Anyway, it was OK until the sappy final 3rd. Drivel, but watchable. Matthew McDonohue is suprisingly likeable.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

i just saw Wolverine and i thought it was a good fucking night at the cinema. I think people over analyze these types of movie..."so is his jacket indestructible too?", who gives a fuck?? it's a comic book movie.

As for the relating stories to the other movies and whatever, not really bothered. You can kinda look at this as a stand alone piece. Obviously there's a nice little cameo tie-in to the first X-Men film, but continuity and that didn't deter me from enjoying it in any way.

I liked.

When you can attempt a decent argument and not go for the whole predictable and clueless over-analysing deal (in a topic about reviewing films shockingly) then come back and attempt to defend the film, you fool.

• Paid Members

A lot of people have been saying this and it's so, so true.

I'm wondering if he pissed someone off and had his part made smaller because he's only in the trailer for literally about half a second. I remember when I first saw it in the cinema thinking "I'm sure Ryan Reynolds is in that film..." and he does have a fairly big part yet he's just skimmed over for the most part.

• Paid Members
Wolverine was fucking rubbish.

So boring I can't even really be bothered to say much more than that.

For a film to be so poor that even when I know all the characters it still gave me no reason whatsoever to give a shit about them is pretty bad form. The action wasn't anything special, and there wasn't much of a story, just stuff happening... It just plain sucked.

i don't really see why you can say there was no story? explain.

• Paid Members
i just saw Wolverine and i thought it was a good fucking night at the cinema. I think people over analyze these types of movie..."so is his jacket indestructible too?", who gives a fuck?? it's a comic book movie.

As for the relating stories to the other movies and whatever, not really bothered. You can kinda look at this as a stand alone piece. Obviously there's a nice little cameo tie-in to the first X-Men film, but continuity and that didn't deter me from enjoying it in any way.

I liked.

When you can attempt a decent argument and not go for the whole predictable and clueless over-analysing deal (in a topic about reviewing films shockingly) then come back and attempt to defend the film, you fool.

haha, sorry man for pissing you off.

i'm just saying the movie was easy entertainment. I've been over on the imdb boards and the hatred is pretty distressing. I just find people go out of their way of hating things, it seems people are in competition to say how much they hate something more than the next. I think i'm fairly privileged in the fact that i'm fairly easily entertained. It's a movie, its not meant to change your life, it's just there to give you a night out.

sorry i can't analyze in great detail, i just find there's no need cause i fucking liked the movie.

• Paid Members
Wolverine

This is the most cliche movie I think I've ever seen. I probably predicted the entire storyline in about twenty minutes and it was painful to watch. So Wolverine's jacket and bike are indestructible too? And if he has his memory wiped how did he find them again later? The only thing that was ok about this entire film was the Gambit, Deadpool and Sabertooth characters.

seeings that you've just deconstructed the movie in 'intense detail', i'll counter-analyse.

The jacket and bike?? why even argue about that? the jacket just looks fucking cool, that's all there is too it. As for the bike, well that was fucking cool too. If you wanna argue about that in a movie where a guy can slice moving bullets with a sword and a man can make the floor shake by smacking it with his cane, you sir are fucking stupid.

as for the memory thing, like i said, you can kinda watch this movie as a stand alone piece. The fact that Wolverine walks off at the end doesn't really mean anything other than it shows that Wolverine's lost his memory and he left alone. The time between this movie and the X-Men is a good few years, what's to say that something doesn't happen in them years that leads Wolverine back to Magneto and his new crew? it's not really worth thinking about. Having said that, i wouldn't be surprised if there's a dvd extra or something which explains what happened.

If there's an argument I hate more than "You can't criticise something unless you've done it" it's "Dude, the film is a comicbook/fantasy/space opera/cartoon/etc and therefore you can't criticise its many problems, flaws and outright lapses in logic because the platform of the film wasn't grounded in reality to begin with!".

Then again, I should probably apply such surface logic, realise I'm dealing with the always profound and articulate Ebb, and just ignore it.

Edited by Mr. Seven

• Moderators

Oh yeah, I was just reminded of another reason this film sucked balls. Gambit was a lameass Bam Margera-looking dickhole jobber.. Seriously disappointing.

The way he was shuffling cards about when they first encounter him is just so... gay. I don't like to use that word as a catch-all pejorative where I can avoid it, but it really was.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

As a film it was a total dud. I was willing to accept this if it managed to vaguely string together a plot that could make me give a little bit of a shit, with all it having to really offer me is the realisation of comic characters I enjoyed in my youth and some good action.

Making one of my favourite characters a fucking douchebag in a film that already sucked is a big X in my book.

I liked.

haha, sorry man for pissing you off.

i'm just saying the movie was easy entertainment. I've been over on the imdb boards and the hatred is pretty distressing. I just find people go out of their way of hating things, it seems people are in competition to say how much they hate something more than the next. I think i'm fairly privileged in the fact that i'm fairly easily entertained. It's a movie, its not meant to change your life, it's just there to give you a night out.

sorry i can't analyze in great detail, i just find there's no need cause i fucking liked the movie.

You're right to an extent mate. People do over analyse movies such as this to the point where it is genuinely annoying. It creates a sense of alientation because you like a movie as a stand alone, yet you have people putting it down because it doesn't fit into the story of the first X-Men movie or to the comics.

I can also understand why some people do tend to over analyse, specifically when it's a character you may have read about for years in the comics and loved the first two X-Men movies. It's understandable to see why someone would want things to coherently connect. I guess it's just the differing perspectives.