DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
CLOVERFIELD - 7.5/10, I'd been meaning to watch this since it 1st came out but all the copies I came across were shite quality then I totally forgot about it till it turned up on Sky Movies this week. I thought it was pretty good better than some of the reviews I'd read for it even tho the handheld camera way the made it done my tits in at times, the ending was pretty shite tho.

Out of interest, how would you have ended it? Personally I thought the ening was absolutely perfect.

I'll put my post to this in spoilers cause the ending to Cloverfield is described.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Nah, the ending was far from perfect. You want a perfect ending to that film? End it at the helicopter crash. Then its perfect. I loved the film, every single minute of it - even through all the "bad" bits - right up until the film continued on from the crash. So, the helicopter goes down, and the only ones who manage to survive are our "heroes", but not only that, but the camera survives too. Then they pull Rob out of the wreckage and preform first aid on him (all while somehow not noticing the giant monster standing right there looking at them), Hud runs back towards the camera, which is also towards the monster and still doesn't notice it, before they do the whole; "Hud, its behind you!" malarky. The monster then eats Hud and the camera, which the camera manages to survive again, spits out Hud and for some unknown reason, fucks off without bothering to attack Rob and Beth.

I didn't mind the whole bit under the bridge so much, but the sequence in between the helicopter and the part under the bridge was one of the worst pieces of cinema I have ever seen. Totally went against the entire feel and tone of the movie up until that point, and I felt it was down to JJ Abrams bottling it and giving caving in to give the audience that one good, long, clear shot of the monster. I think he felt "you never really got to see the monster that clearly" was going to be a common complaint, and he jusr gave in with this bit.

Watching in the cinema I thought the film was going to end at the crash, and I thought that would have been a wonderful place to end it. When Hud eventually picked the camera up again, I just rolled my eyes and let out a sigh, and my enjoyment of what I thought was an excellent movie up to that point, took a serious nose-dive.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Saying it went agaisnt the whole tone and feel of the movie is utter tosh, but I guess you were right it wasn't great. When I was saying the ending was perfect I was more refering to the final bit under the bridge and then when it reverts back to the original footage that was on the tape of them at the fair. With the extra detail in the background which goes some way to explaining the whole film, but only if you're paying attention (true JJ Abrahms magic) and the short but excellent dialogue between the two characters it left me with a great taste in my perverbial film watching mouth

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by KFR42

I honestly don't know what the worst thing is on the previous page. Someone saying Marley And Me cannot be faulted, the phrase "true JJ Abrahms magic" or the fact that people are discussing CLOVERFIELD like it's an arthouse flick.

Edited by Mr. Seven

I honestly don't know what the worst thing is on the previous page. Someone saying Marley And Me cannot be faulted, the phrase "true JJ Abrahms magic" or the fact that people are discussing CLOVERFIELD like it's an arthouse flick.

It's funny because it's true.

• Paid Members
planning to watch gran torino this week, heard good things about it

i loved it, a guy who works with me asked had i seen it though (at which point i hadn't) and he said 'don't bother, its fucking shit'.

i think it'll split audiences down the middle. The trailer is a little misleading, it looks like your gonna get some kind of neighbourhood siege movie, when it's mainly a buddy flick with a racial theme surrounding it.

I'm a huge Clint Eastwood, so to see the old man on screen laying down the insults like it was 1970 made it great for me.

I recommend it.

• Paid Members

oh, i finally started to watched a film i couldn't finish the other day (and i'll sit through anything)...The Vanguard - a case of being sold on a dvd cover this one. The cover, and quotations on the case made it sound like it would a fun movie. It wasn't, it was like some kind of university student project, very little dialogue, just a bunch of 'fancy' shots of guys running around in the woods randomly being attacked by the most least threatening looking zombies ive ever seen in my fucking life Gweedo.

Seriously, it was bad.

If it wasn't for the fact this post managed to go onto a new page we'd have another possible contender. Seriously, no one thinks cloverfield is some classic film, I was simply stating that I loved the ending, and yes, the was definate JJ Abrahms magic! Note: JJ Abrahm magic is not intended to be a serious comment, please don't judge it as such.

Marley and me is clearly shit though, I agree with you there.

Watched Snake Eyes today. Slow start to the film but really picks up. I think in some people eyes the ending was too dragged out but i felt it ended right. Nicholas Cage was the most animated i've ever seen him and Gary Sinese was typical cold blooded brilliance. I liked the film, a fun story which unravels slowly but logically and alot of nifty camera angles. But i'm not kidding myself, it is never going to be considered a classic.

planning to watch gran torino this week, heard good things about it

i loved it, a guy who works with me asked had i seen it though (at which point i hadn't) and he said 'don't bother, its fucking shit'.

i think it'll split audiences down the middle. The trailer is a little misleading, it looks like your gonna get some kind of neighbourhood siege movie, when it's mainly a buddy flick with a racial theme surrounding it.

I'm a huge Clint Eastwood, so to see the old man on screen laying down the insults like it was 1970 made it great for me.

I recommend it.

Really?

Saw Watchmen, great film, a bit disgusting, great soundtrack (especially the first fight scene) but the Orchestral score just annoyed me. It made it seme really shit and attempting to be epic and then they play some Jimi Hendrix or Simon and Garfunkel. Plus I sat right under a speaker and it just ruined the movie for me, wish they'd stuck to the soundtrack of awesome music

• Paid Members
Saw Gran Torino last week, its a great film. It came accross as a great commentary on modern day family and social values. Echoes of 'Dirty Harry' too

Is it Clint laying down some vigilante justice in his neighbourhood? I quite fancy that film.

Saw Gran Torino last week, its a great film. It came accross as a great commentary on modern day family and social values. Echoes of 'Dirty Harry' too

Is it Clint laying down some vigilante justice in his neighbourhood? I quite fancy that film.

then you will like!

I'm going to see Bronson today