DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Just watched the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie with my flatmate who also loves the series and my other flatmate who has never seen the show, We laughed all the way thru it, He hated every second of it, It truely is one of those love it or hate it films. It has zero plot and makes no sense but is genuinely laugh out loud hilarious.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Funny you say that because I'm a huge ATHF fan and I HATED the movie. Too much focus on the Plutonians and the Robot Chicken who I can't stand. Easily the two worst characters, they never made me laugh in the show and they don't in the movie either. No where near enough Carl and none of Master Shake abusing Meatwad. I know the show was never famous for it's plots but I think the movie definitely needed a solid plot that actually went somewhere. I would have liked it if the the team were faced off against one of the Mooninites evil plans or something. I was really dissappointed.

• Paid Members

The Bourne Ultimatum - absolutely outstanding, the best of the series and a cracking way to tie it all up. Without doubt one of the best movie trilogies of all time.

1408 - ropey ass movie, id been led to believe that this was a cracking little chiller. I found it to be a great idea executed badly, John Cusack despite reviews had a mare, it was a laughable performance...the comedy elements at the begining were good and it did feature a few decent jumpy scares, but it was over the top bunk for the most part. I'd wait for the dvd if you wanna see it.

After a recommendation from Mr. Seven (i think?) and seeing it pop up in a couple of 'favourite film ever' threads here and elswhere i decided to watch Glengarry Glenn Ross. Pretty amazing adaptation i have to say, every single one of the characters involved from top to bottom were so convincing it was scary but Jack Lemmon in particular was top drawer. It did seem to end very quickly though, seemed rather abrupt. I know the dialog and screenplay was that good and sequential that it tied everything up and you knew what the end outcome was with the double swerve on the robbery but it was almost teasing you to want to see a broken man get caught and how he'd handle the prospect of jail or whatever followed.I'll probably watch this again during the week on my days off as there is usually a lot of subtle touches on these films which don't sink in upon first viewing. Very impressed though.

• Paid Members

After a recommendation from Mr. Seven (i think?) and seeing it pop up in a couple of 'favourite film ever' threads here and elswhere i decided to watch Glengarry Glenn Ross. Pretty amazing adaptation i have to say, every single one of the characters involved from top to bottom were so convincing it was scary but Jack Lemmon in particular was top drawer. It did seem to end very quickly though, seemed rather abrupt. I know the dialog and screenplay was that good and sequential that it tied everything up and you knew what the end outcome was with the double swerve on the robbery but it was almost teasing you to want to see a broken man get caught and how he'd handle the prospect of jail or whatever followed.I'll probably watch this again during the week on my days off as there is usually a lot of subtle touches on these films which don't sink in upon first viewing. Very impressed though.

This movie is just awesome and you'll be hard pressed to find a better cast, top to bottom, than this. Alec Baldwin should have gone onto greater things based on his performance in this film but it just never seemed to happen. In a career full of fantastic performances I still rate this as one of Jack Lemons best, alongside The China Syndrome although his character has been tainted slightly by the awesomness that is Gill in the Simpsons

• Paid Members

Oh While I remember Had a John Carpenter nite last night and watched Escape from New York and They Live, both great films with aspects that obviously haven't aged well but still hold up. While watching They live I am always genuienly stunned at how natural an actor Roddy Piper was, Ok hes never gonna win an oscar but he was charismatic and played the part to a tee, and if interviews with John Carpenter are anything to go by ad-libbed a lot of the dialogue himself. Keith David rules and his constant kneeing of Hot Rods balls to break up the fight has me laughing everytime.Escape From New York is still a fantastic film and Kurt Russell will always be one of my Fav Actors, a man who has been great is so many good films. the only problem I have with the film is the synth score which really dates it but that seems to come part and parcel with Carpenter. I got the special edition dvd which has the original opening with the robbery which does set the Snake character up a little better but I can understand why it was omitted for pacing/ changing Snake from a loner into a team player

Rocky IIIThis part of the Rocky double trilogy sees Stallone face off against Clubber Lang aka Mr. T. This is the first Rocky flick films I saw, and it is no doubt one of the most famous for 'The Eye Of The Tiger' and the fight with Hulk Hogan at the start.It is a good fun movie, light on the raw emotion of the first two, and the first proper Rocky-routine flick (aka get beaten up/ training montage/ win the final fight). However, that is not neccesarily a bad thing, it plays a safe hand and it works out fairly well, giving Rocky fans everything they would want. And c'mon, it wasn't aiming for 'Best Picture' material anymore.

You forgot to mentiobn the romance, the homoerotic scenes between Rocky and Appollo are simply beautiful.

• Paid Members

Escape From New York is still a fantastic film and Kurt Russell will always be one of my Fav Actors, a man who has been great is so many good films. the only problem I have with the film is the synth score which really dates it

Fuck that. The synth score is awesome.

• Paid Members

Escape From New York is still a fantastic film and Kurt Russell will always be one of my Fav Actors, a man who has been great is so many good films. the only problem I have with the film is the synth score which really dates it

Fuck that. The synth score is awesome.
Ha didn't say it wasn't awesome, in fact I own the soundtrack to it :music: but you have to admit synth = 80's thats musical maths!!I just wish that when they show John Williams on the classical channel with his gigantic orchestra doing the score to Phantom Menance they would follow it up with John Carpenter in a room, on his own with his Casio keyboard on his lap playing the theme from Escape from New York....... A man can dream can't he

• Paid Members

Up until the other week I can't recall ever thinking about favourite directors, and I've come to the conclusion that it's got to be Carpenter. Big Trouble in Little China and Halloween are two of my favourite films, with good mentions for They Live and Christine. I've been thinking about getting some more of his stuff, particularly buying The Thing since it's got ace reviews and it's rarely on TV (that, and the mighty Kurt). Any suggestions?

Hatchet:

In a film that's enjoyed good reviews from the festival circuit for the last year, Kane Hodder, much like in his role as Jason Voorhees, plays a disfigured, once presumed dead man who preys on a group of stranded tour boat punters.

Nowt special or original there, although the story of how he came to be is a decent touch, and the deaths are quite decent. Apart from Mercedes McNab and cameos from Robert Englund and Tony Todd, all the actors are pretty much unknown, but they pull it off well. Definitely one of the best horrors this side of the year 2000.

Edited by Stug Rivers

• Paid Members

The Thing is brilliant. One of the best horror movies ever made. The special effects are still incredible to this day.

I second that, It is easily one of the best horror films of the last 40 years and you need to buy the dvd for the awesome commentary track from Carpenter and Kurt Russell where they just get drunk, it truely rocks.As far as his other films go as much as I love his work its quite a mixed bag, The Fog is an awesome film and you should definatly try and see it.Assault on Precient 13 shows just how good a director he was, cranking the suspense up, some people complain its just a remake of Rio Bravo but who cares when its this good.Prince of Darkness is ok, but I always found it kind of a muddled film, worth checking out though.Oh and check out Elvis the Movie, the original tv edit of it, I wasn't expecting much but thought it was really good, plus it has the mighty Kurt in it!!!!