DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Jurassic Park on Sci Fi this evening. Havent seen it in an absolute age, used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. Still a decent film though, although now Im much older theres no way I'm buying that Raptors can open doors...

Yeah I caught the second half of this. I expected it to have aged pretty badly, but the dino's still hold up pretty well. Still a good film after all these years.

• Paid Members
I watched Jurassic Park on Sci Fi this evening. Havent seen it in an absolute age, used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. Still a decent film though, although now Im much older theres no way I'm buying that Raptors can open doors...

Yeah I caught the second half of this. I expected it to have aged pretty badly, but the dino's still hold up pretty well.

I still don't understand how the CGI in this, The Abyss and Terminator 2 are still superior to movies made in the last couple of years.

Bascially, epic film, classic good vs evil, Transformers are cool, many classic characters get mercilessly slaughtered lulling you into "anything can happen in this movie", tremendous soundtrack.

They Kill Fucking Optimus Prime and Megatron and Starscream ffs.. epic event of teh decade tbh ( i know it was all about the toy sales, but still)..

desoite people saying its shit. No nostaglia, its genuinely a good film, it pulls on the heart strings, has a plucky young hero pit against the possible end of everything as we know it... and a cracking sound track (Stan Bush him of Bloodsport, KickBoxer Soundtrack fame. Vince Di Coia, him of Rocky IV soundtrack fame... what more do you want.. Weird Al Yankovic.. yep he's there too!)

The American cut in the Ultimate edition sucks donkey balls with its supermanesquer titles

First 25 minutes and last 20 minutes are are superb. In the middle it really slows down a bit. The stuff with Eric Idle is crap.

The death of Ironhide is great, and the Optimus Prime/Megatron showdown is one of the great movie showdowns.

Still annoys me a bit the way Wheeljack - a major character in the cartoon series - is killed off offscreen and shown lying dead in a corner somewhere.

• Paid Members

Yeah I caught the second half of this. I expected it to have aged pretty badly, but the dino's still hold up pretty well.

I still don't understand how the CGI in this, The Abyss and Terminator 2 are still superior to movies made in the last couple of years.

Dunno about The Abyss and T2, but IIRC, Jurassic Park wasn't 100% CG - there were model bases, I think.

I watched GI JOE the other night, and despite it being way too long and having lots of unintentional humour, I had a lot of fun. I personally don't feel the need to take a film to task that's as gloriously silly as this. Joseph-Gordon Levitt was ridiculous fun and if they are planning on recasting The Joker for the next Batman movie, I'd put him up there as a frontrunner.

I watched GI JOE the other night, and despite it being way too long and having lots of unintentional humour, I had a lot of fun. I personally don't feel the need to take a film to task that's as gloriously silly as this. Joseph-Gordon Levitt was ridiculous fun and if they are planning on recasting The Joker for the next Batman movie, I'd put him up there as a frontrunner.

Better than Transformers 2? (Which was piss-poor by the way)

Is that the same Joesph-Gordon Levitt from Third Rock from the Sun? I must watch this film if it is.

Dunno about The Abyss and T2, but IIRC, Jurassic Park wasn't 100% CG - there were model bases, I think.

All three films used a combination of CGI and models.

In reference to the general standard of today's CGI effects it comes down to time, money, talent and politics.

Those 3 films were used to push the benchmark of what effects could do during a time when Lucas's ILM were the main guys to hire. With that, they also had the best talent and time wasn't really an issue because with no Star Wars films in post-production, they didn't have a heavy workload (except for the fact it was taking a week to render a frame of CGI in those early days - now, it's just a day).

A few years later, some of the key ILM staff disbanded and created Digital Domain with James Cameron, before Michael Bay purchased the company. This effectively means that any Michael Bay production will get their top talent, time and attention. Peter Jackson has WETA to do all his films, in the same way.

There are a few other worthwhile effects companies, like Framestore, Rainmarker and Rhythm & Hues, but unless you've got the budget to hire them and they've got the time to actually work on your film, then you've got to go further down the chain with smaller companies that just don't have the same level of talent.

:yinyang: I've just been to see "A Perfect Getaway" and it was actually a good little thriller. I thought they did a good job of building up the suspense and the sense of paranoia before they let loose with the inevitable but still fun plot twist and "Halloween" style hysteria in the last 20-30 minutes. While it's in no way a five star classic i'd still recommend it to anyone who likes a good thriller movie. Edited by insert_name_here

just back from watching G.I.Joe

not a bad film BUT

jeesus i`m feeling motion sickness now. What is it with using substandard special effects then covering them up with shakey cameras and explosions! and seeing 2 rather attractive women walking about in leather catsuits is not my idea of fun. Its my idea of fucking heaven.

Is that the same Joesph-Gordon Levitt from Third Rock from the Sun? I must watch this film if it is.

christ, thats where i seen him from! you know i couldn`t make the connection, stupid me!

and another thing, just cause you can do s . l . o . w . m . o . t . i . o . n action scenes doesnt mean you have to!