DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I finally got round to seeing Dark Knight.

Brief thoughts...

...I loved this version of the Joker from the serious side of it to blowing up the hospital, had fanboy moments with Dent's face getting burned, the geeky moment goes to the 'You want to move your head?' and I thought the sonar gimmick was a bit too Daredevil. But... overall it was pretty good, if a bit long. Wasn't so keen on the extra Darth Vader element in Batmans voice though. On the flip side I can see why Ledger got a lot of praise as he really lost himself in the part.It'll be a hard act to follow if they bring the Joker back.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about Batman's voice being strange around people, in Batman Begins didnt he have a breif chat with Fox about things he would require, one being a voice changer of some sorts? :confused:

At least they're trying to avoid the stupidity that some superhero movies hold with the secret identity.

Superman is the most annoying with the secret identity.

"oh he looks like..."

"no, superman doesn't wear glasses"

Watched Sideways a few days ago. Was picking up 3 DVD's for a tenner and choose that one randomly has I already had 2. Has good reviews online and won Golden Globe as Best Comedy(so it says on the box!). It's a film about 2 guys and one of them getting over his divorce and his love of wine. The film is exceptionally boring and has a lack of any funny one-liners or jokes. Even the situations aren't particuarally funny. As a drama(if it's supposed to be that, because it barely even attempts comedy), it has pretty 2-dimensional characters, none of which were particulary likeable.

Critics seem to have loved it - http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/sideways?q=sideways Anyone seen this film?

• Moderators

Yeah.. I was gonna say just before I disappeared to my last meeting... It's not a comedy as such, but you would find it a lot more funny if you like the characters because it's all about the relationship between the guys. If you buy into that, then the little moments are all that's needed to make you laugh whereas full-on 'comedy' would just totally ruin the tone..

• Paid Members

Holy fuck, I hated Highlander 2. I'm assuming you've not seen it before? If you have, why would you subject yourself to it again? I was about 13 the last time I saw it and I have absolutely no desire to ever see it again. Terrible, terrible film.

Anyway...

Let The Right One In: I was worried part way through this film that all the praise that had been heaped upon this film may have been a bit over the top and the fact I'd collected 5 people to come and watch it may reflect badly on me. As it turns out it was just because my housemate wouldn't stop talking and then kept asking really annoying questions which, when explained to her, she'd respond with "Oh. I've not really been paying attention have I?! :D" After the third or fourth time of this, I eventually said "No, you've not shut up for the entire film" and fortunately, she seemed to quieten down after that. I really enjoyed what was left of the film. It did seem that it was perhaps a little slow to start but was absolutely fantastic after that. A lot of things that I think would be quite true if vampires actually existed.

How To Lose Friends and Alienate People: Took a great book and turned it into a predictable comedy full of all the cliches in the book. Quite amusing in places and generally entertaining but I don't think I'll ever really understand why a character putting themselves in infuriatingly awkward circumstance is funny. Overall, lazy and could have been much better than it was given the source material.

I have to agree with Chest and Mortimer.

Sideways is a really good little movie, I don't know if it's a movie you're going to enjoy if you're under 20 unless you've had a lot of life experiences as it seems to be aimed at the older filmgoer, the two friends are polar opposites but doing their best to get on with each other and it creates a few really silly things and a few really poignant ones, you realise these two are two lonely guys looking to get something out of life but they don't know what.

I really enjoyed it.

All this talk about Batman's voice being strange around people, in Batman Begins didnt he have a breif chat with Fox about things he would require, one being a voice changer of some sorts? :confused:

It makes sense to protect the identity, it's just not very pleasant on the ear. He sounds like Dierdre from Coronation Street.

At least they're trying to avoid the stupidity that some superhero movies hold with the secret identity.

Superman is the most annoying with the secret identity.

"oh he looks like..."

"no, superman doesn't wear glasses"

I loved that they had the kid realising the resemblance and the chat with Lios and her husband over Clarkes stats in Superman Returns.

Though I also loved that they parodied they glasses thing in Mystery Men.

"Lance Hunt is Captain Amazing"

"Don't start that again. Lance Hunt wears glasses. Captain Amazing doesn't wear glasses"

"He takes them off when he transforms"

"That doesn't make any sense... he wouldn't be able to see."

Watched Sideways a few days ago. Was picking up 3 DVD's for a tenner and choose that one randomly has I already had 2. Has good reviews online and won Golden Globe as Best Comedy(so it says on the box!). It's a film about 2 guys and one of them getting over his divorce and his love of wine. The film is exceptionally boring and has a lack of any funny one-liners or jokes. Even the situations aren't particuarally funny. As a drama(if it's supposed to be that, because it barely even attempts comedy), it has pretty 2-dimensional characters, none of which were particulary likeable.

Critics seem to have loved it - http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/sideways?q=sideways Anyone seen this film?

I quite like Sideways though I never really saw it as a comedy and quite liked the characters. It was on Channel 4 not so long ago and I caught the second half of it, though I've seen it before and was tempted to buy it yesterday.

went and saw the wrestler today, wow.. really really good! Have always liked Mickey Rourke his performance in this is fantastic. Was great to see Rourke get a golden globe and i hope he gets a oscar he is worthy of! ***** 5 stars. have to add Marisa Tomei is great too and smoking hot! Top film! See it!

Edited by donnie420

• Paid Members
oh and to anybody who's seen beyond the mat and have just checked out the wrestler, does anybody recognise the similarities between Rourkes character in the film and Jake the snakes life in Beyond the mat?

oh and to anybody who's read through the thread, does anybody recognise the similarities between Steveo2007's post and every other post already in this thread and the thread about this film that make the same point as him?

oh and to anybody who's seen beyond the mat and have just checked out the wrestler, does anybody recognise the similarities between Rourkes character in the film and Jake the snakes life in Beyond the mat?

oh and to anybody who's read through the thread, does anybody recognise the similarities between Steveo2007's post and every other post already in this thread and the thread about this film that make the same point as him?

Last birthday thread I ever make for you

Blah Blah Blah.

Nobody likes you.

YOU'RE A BELLEND.