DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Brosnan will go down as a really excellent Bond, he's easily up there with Connery and it's always difficult after a good Bond to be the next generation Bond.Sean Bean would have been a bloody good Bond, but he was a bloody good villain in Goldeneye so it shall suffice.Daniel Craig doesn't excite me much...I'm not a huge Bond fan, but I likes what I likes.

Japanese Film InfectionAbout a group of docters who cover up an operation that went terribly wrong.Some very creepy and disturbing scenes, great acting, genuinly scareyat times, im a lover of all things asian and Japanese, J films are the greatesthorror movies you could ever see, none of that blood and guts garbage fromamerica these days, its psyhalogical horror which is the best kind.Fantastic film, will be watching Chinese horror film Dumplings soon.

Star Trek: Generations

In the late twenty-third century, the gala maiden voyage of the third Starship Enterprise (NCC-1701-B) boasts such luminaries as Pavel Chekov, Montgomery Scott, and the legendary Captain James T. Kirk as guests. But the maiden voyage turns to disaster as the unprepared ship is forced to rescue two transport ships from a mysterious energy ribbon. The Enterprise manages to save a handful of he ships' passengers and barely makes it out intact...but at the cost of Captain Kirk's life. Seventy-eight years later, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-D find themselves at odds with the renegade scientist Soren...who is destroying entire star systems. Only one man can help Picard stop Soren's scheme...and he's been dead for seventy-eight years...

I'm not a star trek fan, but as I have said earlier in the thread I watch the films as they tend to have a great mixture of sci-fi, action and human drama.

This film bridges the link between the old school star trek serial and the rejuvenation the series went through in the 80s, and in a lot of ways is a closing chapter in an era.

The story is fairly weak, with the whole plot revolved around a simple ploy, giving a tv episode feel to the movie, which is probably the films weakest point. However, it is well directed full of great acting sequences and is a really great concept (the fight with Picard and Kirk on the same team at the end is surreal to watch).

It layers on the human drama heavily, and very effectively, and presents a change in the entire franchises through a series of dramatic (and sometimes) brutal events, which I won't spoil for you.

Probably not the best trek film to watch if you haven't seen any before, but for fans of the films/ TV series it is a satisfying and slighty sad view, as a certain history of Trek is closed for good.

Human Traffic

Ahahaha, what an amazing film. Danny Dyer is so class as Moff, and the guy who plays Jip (can't remember right now) puts in a really good performance too. Everyone should see it just to see Moff's theories on Star Wars (whilst high as a fucking kite)~!

Edited by lokmad

Clerks 2

The bad reviews made me think twice about this, but I went anyways. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, so I'm glad I took the risk. Some of the stuff was just incredibly ridiculous but funny at the same time. Randal's rant about the racial slurs was good. The LOTR rant was even better.

Click to Show/Hide

"Even the fucking trees walked !"

There was some really boring parts though. The stuff with Dante and Rosario Dawson's character ( can't even remember the name ) just didn't catch my interest at all. Silent Bob was also pretty boring, but Jay was pretty funny, and it's good to see where Robbie Williams stole the intro for 'Advertising Space' from.

16 BlocksWatched this last night, and thorougly enjoyed the story, very simple movie but affective. Bruce Willis plays Jack Mosley, washed up cop who get all the crappy jobs. He is asked to take a guy to court to testify, this being Mos Def, who plays a guy called Eddie Bunker.They have 2 hours to make it, and have to travel just 16 blocks - but with police corruption about to be blown open by Eddies testifying, there are lots of cops out to kill Eddie, and its up to Jack to save him.Its a great film and a touching ending. I got the Dutch Steelbook edition and it has an alternate ending, which isnt a happy one, but is actually a better ending in my opinion.Id give the film a 9/10

• Paid Members

I watched Bad Santa last night.This was a great Christmas Film! I'm gonna be watching it again come December, for sure...

blasphemy! you can't watch a christmas film in september! anyways it is a great film and has joined my yearly xmas viewing tradition with Scrooged & National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

• Paid Members

Parenthood - man, ive gone Steve Martin mad recently, he's one of the comedic actors that are just easy to watch. Parenthood at the core is a very serious movie, it's about 3 sets of parents in 1 family who all have the daily pressures of raising children. Of course it's all smoothed over with some funny stuff and some typical Martin slapstick, but the parent-part is what it's all about. Great film.

Only The Lonely - underrated and forgotten John Candy movie, Candy again like Steve Martin is just one of those guys that easy to watch. This film is great, it's only just been released on dvd and is well worth picking up. A romantic comedy about a guy trying to have a relationship with a chick, only to have his mother pretty much get in the way of everything. Entertaining movie, if you're a Candy fan you gotta see it.

The Secret Window

Mort Rainey (Depp), a successful author, is passing through a hard period in his life. After catching his wife sleeping with another man, they separate and he moves away from the city to somewhere in the country. One day a man appears at his door, presenting himself as John Shooter, and accuses Mort of copying a story from him. Although Mort believes things can be solved once he shows Shooter the original version, which had appeared two years before Shooter's version, written in 1997, while Rainey's was published in early 1995. He can't seem to be able to get an original copy in the time limit set by Shooter. Strange things then start happening that prevent him from receiving the needed original, and Mort tries to find out who Shooter really is and if he is responsible for the things that have been happening such as killing his dog and arson.]

This film has an intriguing premise to it, far more intriguing and interesting than it actually is. It is pretty much your straight forward thriller with a twist, rather than anything special that the trailer suggests it is (despite being based on a Stephen King story).

Depp, as usual, is brillant - easily the films best aspect. He finds the role of Mort so easily, although the character is clearly written for him, and is the only part of the film that is belivable.

The whole concept of 'stolen transcript' runs out of steam after about half an hour and the rest of the film is just padding before the 'twist' in the last 15 minutes. The twist is fairly lame and old hat (i.e. if you have seen 'A Beautiful Mind' you have seen this).

However, Depp's manipulation of the viewer ensures that there is always some degree of interest in what is happening on screen - despite how predictable it is, and the intelligent connection between the author's book and the plot creates a super subliminial thinking point.

You will only watch this film once, and at 90 minutes you won't get a sore arse and keep looking at your watch, but its hardly the blockbuster/ intelligent thriller it tries so hard to be.