DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I am in an absolute glut of comedy films at the moment. So far today I've watched Dumb and Dumber and have just stuck on Planes, Trains and Automobiles.Jim Carrey and John Candy are two of the best comedic actors ever. Steve Martin is shit in it though.

Awesome film.When that kid sings "Everytime you go away" during the end credits I always have a secret crying session.
I've paused it for the time being. You'll set me off in a minute...:(

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

There's a Ghibli season on Film 4 at the moment, so I took the opportunity to watch 'My Neighbour Tortoro' again. Fuck you, Disney, that's how you make a children's film. The scene at the bus stop > All of Snow White.

Agreed. Studio Ghibli can make very simple scenes feel like the most magical thing you've seen in your whole life.

There's a Ghibli season on Film 4 at the moment, so I took the opportunity to watch 'My Neighbour Tortoro' again. Fuck you, Disney, that's how you make a children's film. The scene at the bus stop > All of Snow White.

Agreed. Studio Ghibli can make very simple scenes feel like the most magical thing you've seen in your whole life.
Studio Ghibli made Spirited Away, didn't they? It's one of my favourite films and, in my opinion, is much better than anything Disney have ever done. So, I'll definitely try to catch My Neighbour Totoro whenever it's on.Reservoir Dogs

Five total strangers teamed up for the perfect crime. But something went wrong. Something got f---ed up. One of the men is the rat, an infiltrator working for the cops. But who?

I enjoyed every minute of this film. It's just incredibly entertaining from beginning to end. Reservoir Dogs is stylishly directly, filled with terrific dialogue and features an array of great characters and memorable scenes. At times, it's very violent, but occaisonally delves into comedy, too. Top stuff.I'm officially a Quentin Tarantino fanboy now. Edited by Van_Dammer

I watched White Chicks last night, with the commentary on. Three of the Wayans brothers (Keenan,Marlon and Shawn) were providing commentary, and were high-larious. Definetly better with the commentary on. New Mouth ~

Scent Of A Woman

Charlie Simms (Chris O'Donnell), A prep school student needing money, agrees to look after a blind man, Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade (Al Pacino). However, the job is not at all what he anticipated.

Scent Of A Woman is a solid film. At its core, it's the story of two individuals who need to put their lives into perspective in order to make life-changing decisions. In some respects, a lot of it is akin to your standard drama in terms of execution and the sense that it's a typical heartwarming, uplifting affair. Nonetheless, it is beautiful at times and does feature a number of outstanding scenes.The true highlight of Scent Of A Woman is, undeniably, Al Pacino's superb performance. He won an Oscar for his role as a blind, retired ex-militant and he totally deserves it. In fact, this film confirms my belief that he is the greatest actor of all time. Pacino portrays the complexities of his character perfectly, enabling the viewer to see different sides of Frank Slade. He may be a stern and, sometimes, obnoxious man, but he can be funny and thoughtful, too. One moment, he's friendly towards Charlie, his temporary caretaker, and within a second, he can snap. The character development is great in regards to both Frank Slade and Charlie Simms, though. As the film progresses, they gradually reveal more elements of their personality. As such, Scent Of A Woman has a lot of key points and great lines throughout. In short, it's a decent drama with a magnificent performance from Al Pacino. Hoo-ha! Edited by Van_Dammer

Miami Vice I really really really wanted to like this film after the great trailer and Mann's previous films. However, I was let down and felt that the film was poor.Visually I thought the film was spot on - beautifully shot, great landscape and super dark colour work and the soundtrack created an atmosphere that the audience could easily soak up.However, the plot was so confused and unclear that the film was a flop. I was left with question after question as the final credits rolled as to why the film had developed as it had, and who certain characters were.The dialogue was sketchy, and there was just one too many generic sex scenes in the middle hour.My view on this film is if your intrigued by it either through the trailer, the press or the original series your quite likely to see it - and for you it is worth it. It is a spectacle if nothing else. However, this film will soon be forgotten and will lurk in the shadows of Michael Mann's CV next to the likes of Heat, Collateral and Manhunter. DVD Pile for me to watch this week: Ong-BakDuneStar Trek: GenerationsMatrix RevolutionsDances With WolvesThe Eagle Has LandedKing PinThe Buddy Holly StoryHeatAmerican History X