DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

SidewaysA pretty good film, which is humorous but not particularly funny, and also slow for the most part. It is a somewhat feel-good movie at times, has an interesting story, and the last 30-minutes are good (better and funnier than the other 90-minutes of the film), but the movie is long at 2-hours and works more as a drama than a comedy film. The movie does have a good cast (Paul Giamatti(Cinderella Man, Paycheck), Thomas Haden Church(Spider-Man 3), Virginia Madsen, Sandra Oh) and good acting though. I cannot really understand the praise and amazing (5-star) reviews the movie gets, but maybe it is a better film to people who can associate with the two main characters or really like wine (a lot of the conversations and situations centre around wine), otherwise I would recommend giving Sideways a miss.(***)

I'm a bit suprised, I really liked the film and listed it as one of my top three films of last year and I'm not a wine drinker or middle aged. I thought it was a well told story with superb acting from Giamatti and I was genuinely intrigued with the complex characters. The 2 hours flew by for me and I wanted to see more. Oh well.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrestlemania XV (to get in the big time mode)Magnum P.I. Series One (watched episodes 1-14 so far, just 4 left to go)dont see the point in rating them, waste of time if you ask me as nobody really cares what you think.

• 3 weeks later...

I've watched a couple films over the past week so i'll share my experiences.Revolver - Absoluty awsome movie, only thing its one of the baffling ones that you have to watch twice to really understand.Date Movie - Worst pile of shit ive seen in a very long time, so unfunny its unbelievable.Big Momma House 2 - Again a fantasic movie, had me lauging quite abit.

• Paid Members

The Italian Job - watched the re-make the other day, loved it...great movie, the heist is excellent and very clever, the cast is excellent the banter between them is entertaining and funny...i loved the film, i know some people will say it aint on par with the origional, but fuck it i thought it was great.

Candyman - one of my favourite horror movies, very creepy film...some great scares, but this film is more about the f'n creepiness, i can see why many people shit thereselves back in the day for this one. Tony Todd has got an aura about him which freaks me out. Excellent.

• Paid Members

Was just rewatching "Candyman" last night as well brah. That bit where Candyman rips apart the psychiatrist was very harsh. Creepy as f*uck.Taped "The Italian Job" over the Christmas period and I still ain't watched it. Might chuck it on.

• Paid Members

Date Movie - Worst pile of shit ive seen in a very long time, so unfunny its unbelievable.

I normally hate the "Scary Movie" type films, but this was film was amazingly funny. See the bit with the cat taking a dump, the "Bumfights" parody. I must be the only one in the world that thought it was decent.

This week i have been to see

Goodnight and Goodluck, This film was good but was too short for the type of film it was. Films based on historical events tend to last a wee while because if its worth making a film about there's usually some substance to the story. As it is, it's just over in a flash which means i can't give it more than 6/10

Lucky Number Slevin. I enjoyed this, but if its supposed to be a mystery, then it fails since its obvious who Slevin is from about 5 minutes in. Still, it was fun. 7/10

Other than that i've watched...

Double Indemnity. A classic film. Well worthy of its place in the imdb top 250. And another great Billy Wilder movie at that. Terrific storytelling and some great acting too. I'd give it 8.5/10

And as far as TV series goes, i've been watching the boxed set of

The House of Cards Trilogy. This is an absolutely brilliant TV series. Ian Richardson plays Tory Chief Whip Francis Urquhuart, who was been spurned by the new PM following Thatchers retirement. Urquhuart is told he is best remaining as Chief Whip, but he believes he is worth more than that, and sets about tarnishing the reputation of the PM so he will step down. Witty, dramatic and expert storytelling in this BBC drama from 1990. Urquhuart speaks directly to the viewer is Lovejoy-esque asides that succeed in making the viewer feel like a co-conspirator. I couldn't recommend this enough. 10/10

• Paid Members

The Hills Have Eyes

I don't rate most horrors around these days, i like horror films but invariably all horrors today churn out the same old, same old tired concept and story. TotalFilm gave this **** and i often find their ratings pretty on the money. Unfortunatly, here, they were dead wrong, as 'The Hills Have Eyes' was just like every other horror movie, only a tad worse. It was enjoyable in that 'lets see how gory it gets kinda way' but that was a letdown too as i was hoping the ridiculously gory deaths would/could save the movie. But, alas, no.

I found the films plot to be somewhat flawed too, as i found myself, for the most part, sympathising more with the 'mutes' and rather eagerly anticipating the commupence of the leading guy which *cough* SPOILER *cough* never arrived. I don't know if this was due to his lame character which i fail to see how anyone could get behind in the slightest or simply the poor acting. He wasn't alone there though...but maybe it's down to lack of direction but nobody exept Emilie De Ravin seemed to convincingly give much of a shit about the truly fucked siutation there were in and the sheer chaos insuing around them.

Im not one for ratings but if i must...**

Date Movie

An embarrassingly bad, stupid, pointless, and unfunny movie (from 2 of the writers of the original Scary Movie film). Nearly all of the jokes attempted miss the mark by a long way, there is no subtlety, and even though there were moments when I almost smiled, I didn

• Paid Members

SerenityDespite my love of sci-fi, I never bothered to check this out while it was in the cinema, and now I wished I had, as it's very, very good. SFX magazine described it as "As good as Star Wars used to be" and they have a point. I've never seen the tv show it's based on, but you apparently don't need to. Anyways, it's funny, action packed, has some good characters and it left me wanting more.Reccommended.

just watched it, i agree with what you said...very enjoyable movie, its just one of them entertaining from start to finish flicks. It's criminally overlooked too, critically acclaimed but you ask the average joe have they seen it and you'll get a blank faced reaction (same as with kiss kiss bang bang)...dickheads.