The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Originally in Eastern Championship Wrestling he came to the ring with a surf board and in a surfer's outfit, which I guess is where the idea behind the name came from.Also The Sandman comic was very popular in the early 90s and may have something to do with the wrestler's name, as well as the Sandman character of American folklore.So... I dunno, but they'd be my main guesses as to why though.

Edited by Natural Born Thrilla

Another ECW question. Can anyone explain why at November to Remember 98 Rob Van Dam had the TV title belt that ECW would use from May 99 until its closure. Yet at Guilty as Charged and Living Dangerously 99. had the Wing Eagled style TV title belt?

I was always under the impression that the main NWA syndicated show, ergo the JCP show, was NWA Saturday Night.

There was never an NWA Saturday Night. This was the show that was renamed from World Championship Wrestling when the promotion decided to rename itself in the early 90s. So you're not strictly right, not strictly wrong, yada, yada, yada...

Did his entrance music have anything to do with the name?

Also possible as the Black Album came out in '91, so the song would have been well known enough for the public to recognise the name and the song. But I have no idea when Sandman started using 'Enter Sandman' as his entrance music, I'd be very surprised if he used it when he was Mr. Sandman, the surfer heel.

Did his entrance music have anything to do with the name?

Also possible as the Black Album came out in '91, so the song would have been well known enough for the public to recognise the name and the song. But I have no idea when Sandman started using 'Enter Sandman' as his entrance music, I'd be very surprised if he used it when he was Mr. Sandman, the surfer heel.
He didn't.I'm sure Sandman mentions it in one of his shoot interviews that someone (probably Heyman) suggested the idea for the music and he totally hated the idea but went with it anyway, so the song came after the name.

I'm typing up some results and need to know, what is another name for a move just like the Vader Bomb? As in the match I was watching, Mr. Fuji uses that move twice and then pins Tgier Chung Lee, but I want a better term to describe the move. Thanks.

I'm typing up some results and need to know, what is another name for a move just like the Vader Bomb? As in the match I was watching, Mr. Fuji uses that move twice and then pins Tgier Chung Lee, but I want a better term to describe the move. Thanks.

I think it’s usually described as a Corner Press.

• Paid Members

Sandman started using the music in late 94, several years after debuting with the name (which was originally Mr Sandman in line with the surfer gimmick).His original ECW music was Surfing USA by the Beach Boys, and later The Bitch Is Back by Elton John, performed by Tina Turner. This was more a reference to his manager Woman than anything to do with his own character.

Could someone please confirm the date of an episode of WWF Shotgun for me. I have searched google and found nothing. It is either January 11 or 12, 1997. Matches that I remember include Rocky Maivia vs Fake Razor Ramon and Savio Vega vs Faarooq plus Sunny's XXX video with a big elmo. 11th or 12th January, 1997 but which one?

Could someone please confirm the date of an episode of WWF Shotgun for me. I have searched google and found nothing. It is either January 11 or 12, 1997. Matches that I remember include Rocky Maivia vs Fake Razor Ramon and Savio Vega vs Faarooq plus Sunny's XXX video with a big elmo. 11th or 12th January, 1997 but which one?

Well the 12th was a Saturday, so logic would suggest it aired on the 12th with it being Shotgun Saturday Night.

Sandman started using the music in late 94, several years after debuting with the name (which was originally Mr Sandman in line with the surfer gimmick).His original ECW music was Surfing USA by the Beach Boys, and later The Bitch Is Back by Elton John, performed by Tina Turner. This was more a reference to his manager Woman than anything to do with his own character.

He defineltly used the Elton John version of that song a little earlier - just after he'd turned in early-94. Certainly at that point, I think it was more of a reference to the break-up from his wife Peaches (I recall a pretty awesome interview, where Sandman was sat in the back being interviewed by Jay Sulli. This may have been the first time he'd been seen smoking on TV: "Life's a bitch...(takes a drag)...and then you marry one". Pretty shocking at the time)...

I'm just watching the first ECW PPV and I'm up to Rick Rude debuting without the mask, did he do much while he was there?

That was the climax of his feud with Shane Douglas. From then onwards he played a babyface colour commentator until a cage match around September/October 1997 (cant remember the show) where he pretended to be Dreamer & Sandman's surprise partner against Sabu, RVD and Jerry Lawler (iirc, not positive) but turning heel on them by locking them in the cage 2 against 3 and smacking Beulah face-first into the cage.It wasn't long after that he stopped appearing on ECW after going to the WWF.