The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

- This has probably been asked, but what is the longest wrestling match in history?

The longest match of any kind was a 9 hour plus amateur match in the Olympics (1912 I think).Longest pro match was William Muldoon v Clarence Whistler in 1881 which went to an eight hour draw.The longest match I can think of that was definitely a work was a 1965 Dory Funk Jr vs Mike DiBiase death match in Amarillo which supposedly went three hours ten minutes. I've also heard it billed as 1 hour 44 minutes, though this may be a separate match.Antonio Inoki v Masa Saito in a Jungle Island death match was billed as 2 hour 5 minutes, though I'm not sure much of this actually happened before witnesses.The longest worked match I know of that is verifiable by videotape is the last Chikara Torneo Cybernetico which goes 1 hour 44 minutes.
But the question is, are they any good? I can't imagine going more than about 40 minutes myself, I'd just run out of things to do. I imagine there a very different style than we're used to seeing to go that long, either that of they guys just go through everything they've ever learned.Anyone seen these matches who can comment?

• Paid Members

Wasn't the Aries/Danielson match from Testing the Limit supposed to go nearly 3 hours, with the first 2 fals being 60 minute draws and the final fall going 57 minutes- but it was mucked up due to Aries getting injured during the match?

The story I heard was that they did have that plan, but midway through the first fall Danielson decided the crowd on the night wouldn't go for it, so he made the call to cut it to "just" 75 minutes.

I understand that Jim Cornette was suspended from OVW because of a physical altercation with a wrestler. After his suspension, what was he fired for?

That, and a combination of other things leading up to that altercation where he slapped a trainee. I heard of him flying off the handle with Bubba Ray Dudley and Mordacai as well. Add to that a proper wrestling guy like him doesn't have a lot of allies left in WWE, and he's gone.
That trainee, is now doing a MMA gimmick as Boris Alexiev in OVW.

Just watched a 1995 ECW event and Joey Styles said that the Heavenly Bodies had left ECW, and that one of them had "totally flipped". He then said, that if you weren't laughing at that, you would be in two weeks. So I assume one guy returned to WWF? But what was the significance of the phrase Joey used?

Just watched a 1995 ECW event and Joey Styles said that the Heavenly Bodies had left ECW, and that one of them had "totally flipped". He then said, that if you weren't laughing at that, you would be in two weeks. So I assume one guy returned to WWF? But what was the significance of the phrase Joey used?

Tom Prichard left ECW to go and be Chris "Skip" Candido's partner. His name was intended to be "Flip" but (I think) a 60s band called "Flip and Skip" threatened a trademark lawsuit and they changed Prichard's gimmick to "Zip". Joey was just being cute about the story, then in hindsight not looking so smart after all.

Just wondering if anyone knows the name of the music that James Gibson came out to in ROH? Also on a similar vein, the music that Nigel McGuinness used in the same period of time. McGuinness' sounded very much like a punk tune.

James Gibson came out to the weirdly appropriate ‘A Country Boy Can Survive’ by Hank Williams Jr.The Nigel McGuinness Song was ‘Roll On’ by The Living End.

Just wondering if anyone knows the name of the music that James Gibson came out to in ROH? Also on a similar vein, the music that Nigel McGuinness used in the same period of time. McGuinness' sounded very much like a punk tune.

James Gibson came out to the weirdly appropriate