The Dragon Gate thread

JLM

• Paid Members

I did find a definition for 一色 (issou) a while back, but can't find it now. It's slightly deeper than just 'one colour'. Apparently it's an old feudal system of indicating social status by means of the colour you wear, almost like a uniform.Apparently ε†  (second kanji in aagan) can also mean 'naming' or 'designating', so I'd be tempted to translate the whole thing as 'caste of bad guys identifiable by the colour they wear'. So more or less what Adam said.I suspect the use of a feudal term was a worked rebellion against the foreign influences on Ultimo's promotion, because they said when they were formed that they were fed up of everyone having English or Italian or Spanish names and just wanted to be Japanese.

Yeah, I should have checked the Koujien or the Classical sections of my dictionary - they don't put specific terminology like that in the English/Japanese section.Will check it now.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a somewhat-related note: What's a Do Fixer and, indeed, why would my Do require repair?My thinking is that it's a dodgy Japlish version of "Way of making things better". Am I several miles wide of the mark?EDIT: Also, while we're here: those "Frolida" (sic) T-shirts are part of the gag, right? As in "Stupid Japanese can't spell American words right" or are they a legit fuck-up?EDIT #2: Either way, I still want one.Watched the "Hair, Hair, Hair & Mask vs. Hair, Hair, Hage & Mask" match this morning and loved it. Meestah Kenskee is my new favourite thing in wrestling.

There was something else I was going to ask as well, but I can't remember what it was. It'll come to me...Cheers for your answers Adam and thanks to those who asked & answered about Aagen Iisou and the Takagis; I was going to ask about both of those today too.Ah, that's it: Did Sugawara ever get his hair cut?He got me the angriest I'd been at a heel in a long time for jumping Anthony after losing their Hair match. I thought he was going to get his come-uppance when the President started laying into him, but no dice. Also, no Ryo? I thought for sure he was going to run out and save the day, especially after he sacrificed his hair for Mori previously.Apologies for dicussing last year's storylines; I've only just got the "Best of..." DVD (which is very good and you should all buy it. Yes. [/MOJ]) and it's all "new" to me.Finally, Over which shows does the Florida/Kenskee angle play out? I've seen Nov ("Hey, Johnson's bulked up a bit") & Dec (Masks & Hair), but how (and when, I guess) did we get there?EDIT: And should we be discussing this over at DGReview? It's looking a bit bare over there.

Ah, that's it: Did Sugawara ever get his hair cut?

Not as a consequence of losing that hair match, no. But he's restyled a little since leaving Dragon Gate. There should be a picture somewhere on the dragondoor site. (Irritating aside - his bio photo on that site shows him about to hit Mochi with the Shiisanpuuta. Subtle they ain't. :angry:)

Finally, Over which shows does the Florida/Kenskee angle play out? I've seen Nov ("Hey, Johnson's bulked up a bit") & Dec (Masks & Hair), but howΒ  (and when, I guess) did we get there?

Kenskee was originally a mystery opponent for them. Then he came back under the same circumstances, but ended up posing for the national anthem with them, and from then on was an honorary FloBro. He made I think one actual appearance for them before the Nov PPV - possibly the Sep show? DGUSA will have matchlists, anyway.And if you're not avoiding spoilers, go here, dammit!

It's run by Noriaki Kawabata, formerly BATAyan/Karaoke Machine #2. Financially backed by Livedoor. Asai is more than likely the wirepuller, but publicly doesn't have his hands in running it.It's affiliated with Toryumon, which remains active in Mexico.Dragon Gate is not affiliated with any of the above.

• Paid Members

Yay, Kinya is back. I presume dragondoor is more suitable for him as there isn't a touring schedule to deal with and he won't be working nearly as often.As for Shogo, yes it was me, but his run of ten star classics out-weigh the earlier duds with ease. So there.

at the time not showing much of a knack for carrying the offence in a match

:laugh: Delicately put sir.

• Paid Members

I thought, if The Tiger was supposed to be considered the real successor to Sayama, that would make him the third?I was under the impression that TM4 was the only generation endorsed by Sayama.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't seen the World show, but I did see the AJPW Champion's Carnival Finals show, which had a hugely fun AJPW vs. Voodoo Murders match: TARU, Giant Bernard (A-Train!), Chuck Palumbo, Shuji Kondo & Brother YASSHI vs. Keiji Muto, Kaz Hayashi, Tomoaki Honma, Kohei Suwama & NOSAWA Rongai. Cool stuff with the YASSHI and the gaijins getting most of the offence. He and TARU are both very over. Chuck Palumbo is HUGELY improved since going to Japan. Seriously, he's like a different wrestler. He and Bernard were just throwing all the younger AJPW guys all over the place until Muto tagged in and got everyone to join in Shining Wizarding the crap out of Bernard, who ended up kicking out and pinning NOSAWA anyway. Moo hoo ha ha ha.The rest of the show wasn't too hot, with Kawada vs Sasaki in particular being disappointing. Jamal vs Kojima was much better. No lie. The final was also pretty good.Anyone know if anyone's comped up the Voodoo Murders stuff at all? If not, is anyone prepared to commit to ordering a copy if I go and ask Paltaper or Mortimer to make a comp?

Archived