RIP John Short

AshC

blob?bcid=qNM8nwKEjr0EWA 

I was sad to hear that British wrestling MC and super fan John Short has passed away.

Some wonderful tributes on social media today, from wrestlers, promoters and friends.

John was a character and a fixture of shows in the south-west of England, in particular.

He spent more than 60 years in wrestling, in a variety of capacities - from raffle ticket and merchandise seller to ring announcer.

Be it postering shows or serving as timekeeper, he wasn't up there taking bumps, but he was there to help out at so many cards.

A speedway enthusiast as well, he retained a love of wrestling right to his last days, still getting to shows and planning for more.

Few who worked any events with John will forget his other gig as possibly British wrestling's all-time greatest autograph hunter!

John had a bit of recognition last year, presented with a 'Services to Wrestling' award at the annual British Wrestlers Reunion.

He even popped up on the WWE Network a while back in a Drew McIntyre documentary.

And here's John as MC for the Owen Hart vs Danny Boy Collins match in 1991.

He was a part of the furniture - and a real unassuming guy.

John Short was a fan of British wrestling.

And British wrestling was a fan of John.

RIP sir.

• Paid Members

While I knew him through wrestling, he was also our neighbour for three years. John was unique and there was no mistaking which was his house, but he was always extremely kind and courteous to my family. As with David Franklin ("Old David" on here), I always enjoyed picking his mind as somebody who'd been watching wrestling since the sixties and was still a fan today, and would give honest opinions about the good and bad of every era. It was also greatly amusing after moving all my stuff to be able to point out to my wife that I had only the second biggest collection of memorabilia in our street. (Among other things, he had literally tens of thousands of autographs of wrestlers, speedway people, circus performers and theatre stars.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...