UKFF FPL 2021-22

Fog Dude

How do we solve a problem like Qatar 2022?  

1. 1. What do we do about a mid-season World Cup next time?

• Carry on Regardless
    • Press Pause

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/08/2022 at 07:45 AM

On 5/28/2022 at 9:49 PM, Shy Dad said:

Thankyou for putting this on and I have to say I'm never finishing that high again.

If you want any help collating all the information, putting it into tables and stuff but yourself picking the fixtures and being the face of the game, I'd be happy to pick up some of the admin side and send you over the stuff you need each week? It's a favourite part of my week so anyway I'd be able to help. 

The pleasure is all mine, friend. Especially when I hear that it's the highlight of somebody's week! I'll remember that if I'm ever struggling for motivation to make a post on time. Feel free to DM me if you have any detailed ideas for how a joint running of the FPL might work. Preparations for next season are too far gone (plus, the unique nature of it presents an intriguing logistical challenge) but that might be a precursor to me relinquishing control of it the following term after a whopping 15 years by that point. 

Anyway, as promised, here's how it all ended up: 

spacer.png

This version of the standings tells us a smidgen more that we couldn't glean from the main regular update. MVP RULZ got the most outcomes right, 225-223 over TildeGuy, and so was a worthy winner. Vegeta was still one of the better players but failure to convert correct guesses into three-pointers cost him dear. Rory and Briefcase both receive accolades on the left side of the classification, but the latter ends up on the right-hand side of the board as well thanks to the smallest number of single-point guesses overall.

I was the worst player by three different metrics and the only participant with a mean score below 7. If ultimo had picked on time every week, he'd have finished a place higher, above Stinky, since he has a better average. Then again, his real problem might have been a shortage of bonuses too. And yes, I count everyone as having played to the end because Briefcase never missed 3 rounds in a row. 

So, now back to the elephant in the room: what to do about the World Cup in November and December. I've gone back and forth about what to do regarding that, but this is what the relevant part of the spreadsheet currently looks like. It might be a tad optimistic to presume people will come back after a five-week break, even if everybody did so once before after the unexpected hiatus caused by the first lockdown in 2020. On the other hand, that summer people possibly didn't have a lot of better things to do. 

If the regulars are fine with stopping while Qatar 2022 is on and various top flights are suspended, then things are quite straightforward. If the usual suspects are in favour of carrying on in some form, then it raises a few more questions. Should it still count towards the main competition? Should those just be FPL Cup rounds? Or perhaps a one-off secondary Cup tournament? Will the cards consist of 'hybrid' rounds featuring international and domestic fixtures, or will only club matches be included? 

Let me know if you have, because if not it'll be left to my best judgement instead and you might not like that come the late autumn. I'll also set up a poll on the initial dilemma.

Lastly, let's look ahead to a tentative schedule for the start of 2022-23: I'm moving into a flat at the start of July, then I've got my much-delayed Masters graduation and am jetting off to the continent for a long weekend straight after that. Sorry for the triple humblebrag, but I mention all that because it does mean the sign-up thread won't go live until around 10 days before the Community Shield. There will then be a fairly swift turnaround with the big season-long thread being published on the 3rd of August and the first new table appearing on the 16th of that same month, by which time I ought to be comfortably settled back in North Wales again. 

In the meantime, enjoy the Nations League and the women's Euros, or – if you understandably don't like international football – take a break and I'll see you when the EPL is on the verge of coming back. 

Thanks for running once again @Fog Dude

My 4th win (2022,2020,2018,2014) if I recall correctly

So looking to 2023 to actually defend the title for once and go back to back.

I'm not sure how best to deal with the world cup either 

Only the Premier League and Championship are stopping (not sure of other lower leagues around Europe) so there is potentially enough games to do something, maybe taking a break from the league and playing the cup for those 5 weeks could work.