Good, Bad & Great American Bash

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, air_raid said:

There are loads of fun matches in the midcards between 96-98. As mentioned Rey debuts in 96 against Dean Malenko and gets over immediately.

96 has a fun Benoit & Sullivan brawl and the surprisingly good flair / Arn vs Mongo & Green tag too if I remember right. Not to mention that boss looking jacknife on Bischoff. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

I liked GAB '92 but I can understand why it didn't go down too well at the time. The Arena looked very basic and sparse WCW normally had elaborate set decorations for PPV, nothing for this event, just the ring in a dark arena, and no mats surrounding the ring either. The PPV was the world title match and the NWA title tournament, Vader pretty much dominated Sting and pinned him clean to win the title, and Williams and Gordy won the tournament, also cleanly.

Not in 1992. That’s the way the shows were presented in WCW at the time. Very basic but I don’t mind it. The big entrance sets and PPV logo on the canvas and stuff didn’t start until a few years later.

The no mats at ringside would be because GAB 92 came during the period when Bill Watts was in charge. No mats outside the ring, coming off the top rope was banned etc. 

I'm sure Beach Blast '92 had palm trees etc by the entrance way.

I definitely remember GAB '92 looking very bare bones, another thing was there was no interviews or backstage segments that I recall either (maybe they were edited off the VHS), it was just match, match, match.

The TV was great under Watts but the PPVs seemed to suffer, Beach Blast was great (that might have been before he really started running things), Halloween Havoc '92 was poor and Starrcade '92 was just a mish-mash with too much going on (two world title matches, plus the King of Cable final, plus the Battle Bowl) and the likes of Sting and Vader had to do triple duty and work three matches. SuperBrawl III was great though, one of the best WCW PPVs.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

I'm sure Beach Blast '92 had palm trees etc by the entrance way.

I definitely remember GAB '92 looking very bare bones, another thing was there was no interviews or backstage segments that I recall either (maybe they were edited off the VHS), it was just match, match, match.

The TV was great under Watts but the PPVs seemed to suffer, Beach Blast was great (that might have been before he really started running things), Halloween Havoc '92 was poor and Starrcade '92 was just a mish-mash with too much going on (two world title matches, plus the King of Cable final, plus the Battle Bowl) and the likes of Sting and Vader had to do triple duty and work three matches. SuperBrawl III was great though, one of the best WCW PPVs.

Some of the earlier WCW shows were edited down for home release for some reason.