The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• Paid Members

That’s a cool answer @DavidB6937, and can see why it works for you so much. The problem is what is NXT then? It’s either a developmental brand or it’s a second brand (like how AEW has RoH). If it’s developmental surely the plan is for talents to eventually move over to WWE, but if they are saddled with gimmicks which won’t work, what’s the point?  

You have DIY who are now reunited again after their main roster gimmicks flopped, but what got them over in NXT doesn’t appear to work on Raw/Smackdown. Then you have Keith Lee and Karion Kross which was the reverse in that they took everything away from the NXT gimmicks and tried to reinvent them and it failed miserably. 

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That’s a cool answer @DavidB6937, and can see why it works for you so much. The problem is what is NXT then? It’s either a developmental brand or it’s a second brand (like how AEW has RoH). If it’s developmental surely the plan is for talents to eventually move over to WWE, but if they are saddled with gimmicks which won’t work, what’s the point?  

You have DIY who are now reunited again after their main roster gimmicks flopped, but what got them over in NXT doesn’t appear to work on Raw/Smackdown. Then you have Keith Lee and Karion Kross which was the reverse in that they took everything away from the NXT gimmicks and tried to reinvent them and it failed miserably. 

You've certainly highlighted some issues there and they've been ones that have been consistent problems for years with the NXT to main roster journey. I don't think they've ever quite figured it out to be honest. And sometimes you don't know exactly what will work or not work until they've given it a go. I honestly don't know the answers there and I don't think they do either.

In the case of the Garganos and Ciampas of the world, I feel like they really suffered from a case of "who and why should we care?" once they'd gone to the main roster. Everyone went on their journeys in NXT and grew to love them and want them to succeed. But if you didn't watch that, there wasn't a huge effort to get them over really.

Some will just move to the main roster and get over immediately because they don't need any deep connection, while others have been hugely successful based off that relationship they built with the NXT audience.

In short - there's no one size fits all answer for call ups. But they should be smart enough to realise which ones need a little more introduction to the main roster audience.

44 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It's such a weird situation - it used to be that NXT was Triple H's vision of wrestling, and that meant some of its wrestlers struggled on the main roster as Vince McMahon's idea of what wrestling - and wrestlers - should be was dramatically different. 

You'd think his departure - and the introduction of Triple H's vision to the main roster - would fix things, but for whatever reason NXT has veered off into a direction that resembles what WWE's main roster programming used to be like. A bit of a role reversal for each show. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

It's such a weird situation - it used to be that NXT was Triple H's vision of wrestling, and that meant some of its wrestlers struggled on the main roster as Vince McMahon's idea of what wrestling - and wrestlers - should be was dramatically different. 

You'd think his departure - and the introduction of Triple H's vision to the main roster - would fix things, but for whatever reason NXT has veered off into a direction that resembles what WWE's main roster programming used to be like. A bit of a role reversal for each show. 

Yeah like I said, I don’t care if you’re a developmental system, or a different wrestling brand, but pick a lane!

How I see NXT at the moment is they seem more fresh than the main roster. With the constant new characters from the PC or TNA or guys they signed from aew. 

Pèrez is so good, her facials are good she feels like she's legit. While in the other women's match Jordon was doing moves buy had no face expressions. 

I have to admit the start of Wes Lee vs Wentz match annoyed the hell out of me, it was meant to be almost a blood fued type match and they were doing flips and smiling.