David Franklin - UKFF's 'Old David' - passes away

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

David Franklin, who anyone attending a BritWres show south of Birmingham this century would have likely met, has sadly passed away after a long illness.

He used to post here as Old David, though not for a few years. A top bloke, who loved British independent wrestling as much as any person I have ever met.

David used to frequently give me lifts to and from shows when I had no car and was having terrible matches across the South West. I'll always remember one time he had somehow heard that I liked classical music. Rather than taking the piss, which would have been the reaction I expected, he brought a CD of Rachmaninov's second piano concerto for the journey to and from the venue. Every interaction I had with David was in that mould. A kind and decent man in an environment that often seems the opposite.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

(I've copied what I wrote on his Facebook wall.)

So sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed meeting up with David at shows and loved his enthusiasm and knowledge as one of the few people who was a regular at shows right back to the 60s, but still enjoyed, supported and talked up the scene today, and was quick to point out that there was good and bad in every era. He also had the humility and perspective to acknowledge that wrestlers and matches that weren't to his personal taste might still be right for the audience at a particular show and didn't hold that against people.

I particularly remember his realisation that he must be the only person in the country who has seen both George Gordienko and Grado live, along with him surely being the only person whose first response to seeing Session Moth Martina was that she reminded him of Billy Torontos.

I hope Mickey knows how much David appreciated her putting up with him disappearing seemingly every weekend when wrestling was going through busy spells. I hope this doesn't seem too weird a thing to say, but I'd see David posting about going to shows, country walks (and country pubs), and his D&D sessions and think to myself that if that was my life at his age, I'd be pretty happy!

This is very sad news.

Old David was a lovely man and an expert on all aspects of British Wrestling - old and current.

I know he had a particular affection for Klondyke Kate (don't we all!).

Those of us who met David at the British Wrestling Reunions in Kent will remember him as a friendly man, full of good humour.

Rest in Peace old friend.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, JNLister said:

(I've copied what I wrote on his Facebook wall.)

So sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed meeting up with David at shows and loved his enthusiasm and knowledge as one of the few people who was a regular at shows right back to the 60s, but still enjoyed, supported and talked up the scene today, and was quick to point out that there was good and bad in every era. He also had the humility and perspective to acknowledge that wrestlers and matches that weren't to his personal taste might still be right for the audience at a particular show and didn't hold that against people.

I particularly remember his realisation that he must be the only person in the country who has seen both George Gordienko and Grado live, along with him surely being the only person whose first response to seeing Session Moth Martina was that she reminded him of Billy Torontos.

I hope Mickey knows how much David appreciated her putting up with him disappearing seemingly every weekend when wrestling was going through busy spells. I hope this doesn't seem too weird a thing to say, but I'd see David posting about going to shows, country walks (and country pubs), and his D&D sessions and think to myself that if that was my life at his age, I'd be pretty happy!

Not really much to add to this. A truly wonderful human being and someone who's positivity and support, personal and professional, got a lot of people through some of the bleaker times in "the business". 

I couldn't find a picture of Old David and I together (although I know I have them somewhere) so to show what he meant to people here is a team of us he assembled enjoying one of his legendary quizzes.

RIP Old David

Screenshot_20200706-220325_Gallery.jpg