Public Performance

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Statto said:

Panics, plays the first thing that comes into his head...

This is tremendous.

One of my last gigs with an old band, we'd not rehearsed at all, and we had our own in-jokes around the Jurassic Park theme. The frontman was completely out of it, and between songs, when he couldn't remember what we were doing next, he just started singing the Jurassic Park theme. Crowd joined in, so we kept doing it. At some point it became a medley with "Do You Think I'm Sexy?", a song none of us had ever played before, so were mostly just all singing/shouting it and making a vague effort to play something similar - apart from me, as I was on synths, which I can't play at all, so just bashing out random noises. We were never asked back.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have promoted on and off for 20 years now. My biggest high was curating and running my own stage at the Offset Festival in 2008 which was 10'000 capacity and awesome! I had a really strong line up over that weekend and many good memories. The lows are many. Had single figure attendances for several shows, especially in my local area of Twickenham/Richmond where I just can not get things going for love nor money despite numerous efforts. Ran a movie/comedy night akin to 'How Did This Get Made' about 3 weeks ago and just got in to double figures despite a lot of physical and online promotion but no support, not even a retweet, from locals despite concerted efforts to contact them and possibly try and have them involved.

I've been doing stand up comedy around the UK (and occasionally Europe) for around 7 years now. Got to the stage that I'm frequently getting to play some of the best rooms in the country. Glee, Backyard, Top Secret Got my first full weekend at the comedy Store in London booked for next year which is just ridiculous in my mind.

Been scaling back lately to focus on other projects so only doing a couple of shows a week but I still bloody love it.

Best experience in terms of performing was the relief of getting the first laugh at my first gig. Overall though, I got to do a double show with Harry Hill and had an hour or so down time in between just chilling and chatting with him about music and other such things (he loves the kinks). Which was amazing to work with and chat with someone as a peer who I'd been watching on tv for over a decade.

Worst experience. In my first year of comedy a man in Dudley got his dick out and tried to invade the stage. No security even attempted to resolve the situation.

On 12/4/2017 at 8:47 PM, Kaz Hayashi said:

That’s all I needed to know. Marvellous.

When I rhyme the dirt shakes, you tremble like an earthquake, I overtake with the venomous spit of a cobrasnake
You sound monotonous whilst lyrics flow from my oesophagus, your styles preposterous like a skinny white rhinocerous
Critically acclaimed, I leave rappers lyrically slain, hurt em so bad they're left physically in pain
Forget the sorry, no apology to those that go off on me
Literate mythology is classic like Homers Odyssey
Your Mobb aint Deep, this lyrical Prodigy's wreaking havoc
You're weakling (insert slur for gay people which I thought was OK at 16 and rhymes with maggots), devour wack emcess so excuse my filthy eating habits
My teachings pure British, defeating poor gimmicks, I got by like Popeye just eating raw spinach
You stutter when you see, stop r-r-r-reapeating your lyrics
Sacrifice you to the afterlife, I'm still beating your spirits

It's fair to say, 'I had bars'. Surprised I remembered so much of it!

Archived