General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

1 minute ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

In this case, it needs to be noted again that whilst Walker's head was certainly turned by a massive wage increase, the fact that he fell out with Poch and was no longer guaranteed to be first choice at right-back also contributed heavily to his leaving. That doesn't excuse WHERE we sold him to, but there ya go.

Yeah - I know it's not quite on the level of Arsenal selling Van Persie to Man Utd (effectively gifting them the league), but it's still ridiculous.

If a bit of savvy had been used here, Spurs could have taken someone off them as part of this deal which would have at least provided some consolation. Jason Denayer is fucking quality, and he won't be playing for them anytime soon. Mangala too is probably surplus to requirements.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
8 hours ago, Van Dammer said:

I actually think City have got the best end of this deal. I think it was Rummenigge that said that the goal of a transfer isnt just to strengthen yourselves but also to weaken somebody else and City have achieved that here.

Although I don't think this will impact Spurs anywhere as much as you'd have thought if this happened 12 months ago, the above is absolutely true- especially when it is a league rival.

This is why I reckon Sanchez will now stay at Arsenal (for this season, anyway)- there's no way we will sell him to City this summer. It's unthinkable. When we did it years ago with the likes of Toure, Adebayor, Nasri etc things were different- we needed the money. Now we don't, so we'd be fucking stupid to let it happen. If it happens next summer on a free, well so be it. Hopefully he'll pick Bayern then, who are probably only steering clear because they can't compete with the big English clubs when it comes to transfer fees.

• Paid Members

Absolutely. What's £50m to a big PL side these days, especially if that player can be the difference between qualifying for the Champions League or not, which will surely result in revenue greater than £50m in itself.

• Members
21 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Absolutely. What's £50m to a big PL side these days, especially if that player can be the difference between qualifying for the Champions League or not, which will surely result in revenue greater than £50m in itself.

To reinvest in areas you need it? I dunno man, that just seems a bit naive if that's the case. I get he's a  top top player (TM J Redknapp) but that just seems a bit balmy if he's intent on going. 

I guess no one really knows what he wants to do. 

13 minutes ago, METAL ON METAL said:

He really, really isn't.

Watched him for a year in Scotland playing for Celtic and I thought he fucking strolled it on route to becoming the Player of the Year - while Van Dijk was there playing alongside him. He also performed well and improved at Galatasaray by all accounts, so I'm assuming you're not impressed with his performances for Sunderland.

Paolo Maldini 1995 could have played in that Sunderland side and they'd have gone down, so poor were they. Denayer spent half his time there deployed in midfield instead of his preferred position at CB. Also had a few injuries as well, didn't he?

The boy's done quite a bit in the game and he's only 22. Well worth a chance in a decent PL side, for me.

Exactly, he was good in the Irn Bru league. You're talking about him going to/being an improvement for an actual big team like Spurs.

Sunderland going down has nothing to do with individual performances. Despite the team being a steaming pile of horse dung, several players (like Defoe, Pickford, Watmore) still managed to impress - Denayer was not one of them.

If he was so good, we wouldn't have been his best option last season and still being available on deadline day no less.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

To reinvest in areas you need it?

We've got the money to reinvest though. If Sanchez goes, then that's another position to replace now- rather than worrying about it next year. And that's a big fucking hole to fill that would probably cost us far more than £50m in this market, with somebody that probably won't be anywhere as good as Sanchez. Whilst at the same time, one of our rivals have gained a top class player in signing him.

• Members
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

We've got the money to reinvest though. If Sanchez goes, then that's another position to replace now- rather than worrying about it next year. And that's a big fucking hole to fill that would probably cost us far more than £50m in this market, with somebody that probably won't be anywhere as good as Sanchez. Whilst at the same time, one of our rivals have gained a top class player in signing him.

No I get it and I'm not being contrary but if you could bring in someone for a bit more on a long contract ala Lacazette then it would be worth it? I know there's not much out there though 

FWIW I do think he's going, and you can't fault him. He's given everything to Arsenal (and Chile) for years and he does deserve greater success in my opinion. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

No I get it and I'm not being contrary but if you could bring in someone for a bit more on a long contract ala Lacazette then it would be worth it? I know there's not much out there though 

FWIW I do think he's going, and you can't fault him. He's given everything to Arsenal (and Chile) for years and he does deserve greater success in my opinion. 

If we could bring in somebody that is on his level already in that position (we're narrowing this to a very select few, none of which are attainable), then maybe. But otherwise we are effectively losing our best player and giving a top 4 or title (lol) rival a massive edge. That isn't worth £50m to me. He absolutely deserves success given his talents, but fuck it- he's still under contract.

If Kane had a year left and Chelsea came in with a cut-price offer that was half of his true value (say £40-50m), and he wasn't kicking up a stink (transfer requests, refusing to train- but was just getting on with things), and you didn't need that £40-50m to strengthen your squad, would you take the money or keep him for that final year and hope he either signs a new contract (no matter how unlikely) or even signs for a club abroad?

Remember, £50m will get you exactly 1 x Gylfi Sigurdsson.

2 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

In a world where Sunderland earned £100m last season from tv rights and "prize" money alone, £50m for Sanchez should mean fuck all to Arsenal.

Absolutely.

Archived