UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course that's what you meant David. 

You seriously don't think McGregor knew that such a segment would make for good viewing and a bit of publicity? Of course he did. 

I'm not saying he wasn't genuine in wanting to meet the guy, but I'm fairly sure if he'd said to the cameras that he wanted to do it without being recorded they'd have obliged him. He knew that the situation would make for good viewing, and that it would be popular, which has been proven since, hasn't it?

So what was the point on bringing it up to begin with then? To simply say Mcgregor was clever filming the event? Of course he is, he'd be an idiot if he didn't. It's pretty obvious really. 

Just a general observation, my friend. I didn't think there'd be quite as much toys being launched from prams over one comment.

• Paid Members

So what was the point on bringing it up to begin with then? To simply say Mcgregor was clever filming the event? Of course he is, he'd be an idiot if he didn't. It's pretty obvious really. 

Just a general observation, my friend. I didn't think there'd be quite as much toys being launched from prams over one comment.

No toys, but we all know what your intention was. 

• Paid Members

Nobody is launching any toys, so relax with that. It was your smarmy implication that it was just a PR stunt - that you'll no doubt now say you weren't implying, even though 4 or 5 people picked up on it that way and it's your MO.

How Conor is going to work out Nate's reach advantage and size advantage is going to be fascinating. 

In recent times, I have been nervous before McGregor's fights. An emotion I have not had for a MMA fighter in years (probably since Lesnar). This will be no exception. 

Watching the highlights reels of Diaz teeing off on opponents, really set the scene. The highlights of the Johnson and Maynard fights in particular really underlined how destructive Diaz can be in the striking department. Looking at his record, other than a knockout loss to Josh Thomson, he hasn't been beaten on the feet in recent times. All his recent losses have come through his opponent out-grappling him (Kim, Rory, Bendo). However, my recollection of his fight with RDA is fuzzy, I seem to recall RDA having success with leg kicks and grappling, so that could be another exception. 

Either way, if McGregor can make Nate's striking look ordinary, it would be another impressive notch on his resume. I don't see Saturday night as a formality for McGregor. 

• Paid Members

Without question Jim. As I mentioned earlier, I can't really recall anyone beating Nate standing (at 155).

It's a massive task for Mcgregor, I just hope Nate's fitness is up to scratch. You get the impression, like his brother, he stays fit, despite putting on a few extra pounds between fights.

Nobody is launching any toys, so relax with that. It was your smarmy implication that it was just a PR stunt - that you'll no doubt now say you weren't implying, even though 4 or 5 people picked up on it that way and it's your MO.

I have no doubt at all that it was a PR stunt of sorts, yeah. Otherwise he'd have told the cameras to stay behind. He didn't though, because he knew it would be good viewing and would gain some publicity, didn't he?

Was he genuinely happy to meet the guy? Yeah, but he could have done it without the cameras. He didn't though, because whilst he was happy to make the guys day we wanted to use the situation to add a little more publicity to his own cause.

After all, it's all about the money and the brand.

• Paid Members

If it was a "stunt", he would have hired cameras specifically to be there - like when the pope brings a homeless guy into the Vatican for breakfast. McGregor already had cameras there - it'd actually be dumb to tell them to stay behind when they're supposed to be filming everything he does.

Is it good PR? Of course.

Is it a "stunt"? No. Because 1) the intent was genuine, and 2) camera were already following him.

If the cameras weren't there, I believe he still would have called in. He drives by there every day on his way to the gym.

If it was a "stunt", he would have hired cameras specifically to be there - like when the pope brings a homeless guy into the Vatican for breakfast. McGregor already had cameras there - it'd actually be dumb to tell them to stay behind when they're supposed to be filming everything he does.

Is it good PR? Of course.

Is it a "stunt"? No. Because 1) the intent was genuine, and 2) camera were already following him.

If the cameras weren't there, I believe he still would have called in. He drives by there every day on his way to the gym.

Adding to the argument that it was genuine, the production of it isn't he best, if it was a gimmick you'd have had a number of beautiful shots from multiple cameras. Looked like there was one, producing the over the shoulder shot of McGregor meeting the fan and that being it.

• Paid Members

Who really cares if it was a stunt or not!? That's the real point. Just chill out and enjoy it for what it is. Your (David's) constant desire to be contrary just for the sake of being contrary - with posts like the one above about it being set up - adds nothing to the conversation and is now SO tedious.

It's OK to enjoy something that's popular. Nobody is judging you for it.

That's why I reacted anyway. I guess it's more fool me for not just ignoring it.

• Paid Members

The camera being present benefited the fan. Given that he's clearly a huge MMA fan, I'm sure he will get a kick out of being on Embedded. 

Edit: Come on chaps. let's not blow this out of proportion. 

The only thing that would have made it better if Mcgregor plucked out a couple of tickets. 

Archived