Obsession

Ron&Hermione

• Paid Members

^^^

I love this whole post. Amazing that you had VHS tapes of A Prince Among Men. That shit never left the BBC studio after its first airing. I dont think it ever got an actual release.

No it never got an official release. I mentioned I had it on a RD forum and immediately got offers for it. Had all 12 episodes (2 series) and think I got £30 for them. If I remember rightly series 2 was shown hidden away on a Sunday. 

Its easy to forget how big Red Dwarf was in 97-99. Series VII was massive at the time hitting 6-7 million viewers on BBC2, and Series VIII did better than that. There was merchandise everywhere. BBC2 even ran a special Red Dwarf Night including a Can't Cook, Won't Cook crossover (Can't Smeg, Won't Smeg).

Was probably the only reason Prince Among Men had okay viewing figures and got a second series because it was ripped apart by critics, although I enjoyed it (well, the 1st series anyway).

I enjoyed Crime Traveller when it was originally airing. I only watched it because Kochanski was in it (and I'm into time travel shit.) I went back and watched a few episodes on YouTube recently. It isn't very good. Had completely forgotten Michael French was in it.

I wasn't quite on your level, Krytie, but I was a big fan of RD, still am (FU, Sickboy). I must have broke the VHS of the episode which features the cast singing Tongue Tied by watching it so many times.

• Paid Members

I was big into RD when I was younger but not by these standards. I had them all recorded on VHS, wrote a book report for school on the Programme Guide, bought the Tongue Tied single and I have a photo of me wearing my Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers T-shirt. I met Kryten, Cat and [female] Holly last year and still fangirled over them all. Robert Llewllyn was well impressed with my White Walker make-up too.

My main obsession when I was younger (between ages 8/9 to 17) was Keanu Reeves. I collected everything I could get my hands on - over 200 posters, postcards, stickers, calendars, books, all his films (even massively obscure ones), clothing from his band, live recordings of his band, I even had a life size cardboard cut-out of him from Speed that was also a stand for videos so I kept all of his in it. I also went to T in the Park in 1996 specifically to see his band - Dog Star. It was amazing. It was the only time I've ever lost it at a gig and totally understand screaming girlies at boyband concerts. Just after I moved to London, the premiere of the third Matrix film was on. I took the afternoon off work and went down to Leicester Square. Keanu came along the crowds signing stuff and was right opposite me (about 4m away) and when he came to the end of the row, instead of starting on my side, he turned and went back the way he came. I screamed after him (as you do), he turned and I showed him I was wearing a Dog Star T-shirt. Then - my biggest claim to fame - Keanu Reeves threw me the horns. Hah! I still go a bit wobbly over him now. I heard he's filming with Jonathan Ross tonight so I've been daydreaming all week about bumping into him and what I'd say...

I think one of my biggest obsessions at the moment is still Band of Brothers. Going to Normandy again in June for another actors reunion.

• Paid Members

I also went to T in the Park in 1996 specifically to see his band - Dog Star. It was amazing. 

I was there too, when Keanu threw his drum sticks into the crown my mate got one of them and he had to fight off loads of teenage girls to keep a hold of it. You were probably one of them.

Obsession is something that is close to me at the moment, purely because I'm trying to get a non- molestation order on the ex. However I can see why people become obsessed and infatuated with people they cant have or want. They have something success, looks or a joie de vivre, that the the other cannot possibly obtain and as such crave or want it or get involved in the cult around it to the point it becomes a drug  they cannot live with out.

Fascinating topic and hope that it spreads out further, because the intricacies behind it are something at present I'm very interested in 

Archived