Ranking The WrestleManias - The Middle 10

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

I think it's a pretty decent middle 10 because most of those shows are forgettable rather than terrible. I'd find it pretty hard to separate them, really. For instance, although I found WM2000 pretty shit apart from a couple of good matches, I'd say similar about WM22. Cena/Trips and Edge/Foley were really good. Nothing else was up to much. I'd go with WM7 and WM8 ahead of 22 because they're far more enjoyable despite some of the minor (pointless) matches.

Can't really top air_raid's ace post on WM18 although I remember liking Undertaker vs. Flair at the time. Also agree that WM12 should be in the bottom 10. It's shit. I'd swap it for WM9 which is miles better.

WM13 is so odd. It's awful. But it features probably the best match they've ever presented and was the WM in the middle of the best year of TV they ever did. It's a massive anomaly. Although for Russo, perfectly reasonable.

I had to google 25 & 26 because I have so little memory of them. Even now I'd not be sure I've even seen them even though I have. Taker and Michaels were great. The rest is a mystery to me.

• Paid Members

Don't get me wrong, I loved Corporation X, but still, on the night it was urggh.

I would say the swerve got them where they needed to be but that's Nash's defence of the fingerpoke of doom

The defence holds up better if they'd actually followed up with the premis, which was decent - Goldberg works through each of the nWo "elite" in turn before eventually getting back in the ring with Hogan for the belt. That they pissed away loads of goodwill with dumping the heavily promoted Nash-Goldberg rematch for a poor swerve AND that it ended up being for F all other than promoting the Goldberg/Hall tazer match at Souled Out....... YEAH.

Love the responses here, and the podcast discussing the Middle 10 along with reading a lot of the feedback posted here is now up and available at this link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/w7ueqx/SCGRadio32-RankingtheWrestleManias-TheMiddle10.mp3

This ended up being a really fun one, breaking down the different elements of all the shows in the Middle 10, and with it being the middle group, there are many polarising views on what should be higher or lower. Check it out and let me know what you think, as we talk Manias 7, 8, 12, 13, 16, 18, 22, 24, 25 and 26!

• Paid Members

Good stuff. Three things stood out upon first listen, in reverse order of sillyness :

1) I thought I was getting a handle on what does and doesn't "do it" for Carl but it surprised me that he liked the ending to Flair/Michaels. I had that down as too hammy for him.

2) "Over-booked piece of shit" is the most succinct description of the Mania 16 main event possible. Good work, Liam.

3) "Hogan, who has a better moustache" - definitely the highlight of the build for Mania 7. Nailed it.

Looking forward to running the rule over the top 10, which if memory serves/process of elimination hasn't failed me will be 3, 10, 17, 21, 23, 30 and some others I've forgotten about. But you'll have 17 top because it's the best one.

Love the feedback as always, its very much appreciated, and I'm glad we were able to get some of your great comments in the show as well.

Yeah honestly that kind of surprised me too about the Flair/Michaels finish, I don't feel quite as mushy about that. The visual of Flair with his fists cocked, crying his eyes out did more for me than Shawn's "dramatic moment" dejour...

• Paid Members

Looking forward to running the rule over the top 10, which if memory serves/process of elimination hasn't failed me will be 3, 10, 17, 21, 23, 30 and some others I've forgotten about. But you'll have 17 top because it's the best one.

Shows how average WMs have been if 3 is in the top 10. The Savage/Steamboat match is great for the time and the main event is iconic but the rest is tosh. Though I did like the midget tag when I was a kid. Is there even a decisive finish in the midcard?

Archived