UFC 179: Aldo vs Mendes 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There have historically been fighters who didn't speak fluent English who were still big draws or attractions or whatever. But it's mostly been in boxing where the Latinos have always been much more entrenched.

Julio Cesar Chavez drew a staggering 130,000-plus crowd in Mexico for one of the Greg Haugen fights. One hundred and thirty thousand plus people! And he didn't really speak English at all, much less fluent. He was just a little beast who went on a rudiculous near 90 fight unbeaten streak and he was beloved in Mexico. I don't know how he did on PPV but he was a big deal in America in the late 80s-mid 90s and it's undeniable he was a big star.

Manny Pacquiao isn't exactly fluent with his English either.

With MMA though, it's still a predominantly American sport. They're only just starting to really go international. In years to come you'll probably see fighters who are modest stars in America or the UK but are huge stars at home in Mexico or Brazil or Japan. Like Chavez.

It'll be interesting to see how Cain comes off in Mexico in November.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just rewatched Aldo vs Mendes 1 for the first time since it aired live.

Not how I remembered it. Aldo fucking schooled him. Schooled him. I remembered Mendes giving him more grief and Aldo repeatedly grabbing the fence being the only reason he was able stop takedowns and it being a big part of the fight. Wrong. Aldo easily stuffed three or four of Mendes' takedown attempts right in the centre of the octagon, ie: without even using the cage to help him stay upright. Just easily stopped the shots. There was only one fence grab, in the last minute of the round when Mendes tried to go for a belly-to-back slam. Illegal and not fair, but certainly not a repeat offence like I recalled. I think I read so many times and for so long that Aldo kept grabbing the cage that it warped my memory of how the fight actually went.

Seriously, if you've got Fight Pass or the fight on disc, rewatch it. Aldo worked him for the first four minutes. Mendes' only success at all was in the last minute, getting Aldo's back in a standing position and basically just holding him for a bit up the fence. The fence grab was still wrong but there's not much to suggest Mendes really had anything for Aldo that night when you watch the fight.

Undoubtedly Mendes has improved since then but I don't know if he's made enough of a leap to dethrone Aldo. I'd say he's the biggest threat to Aldo, I've thought that for a while and I'm sticking with it. I think it'll be more competitive this time, and more competitive than Aldo's last bunch of fights, but I think Aldo probably hangs onto his title.

Went with Aldo on points and Glover by KO in the poll. Surprised I was the first to vote for a Glover win actually. Thought that fight would be split pretty evenly on votes.

• Paid Members

I will revisit, i had Mendes winning the round in my head.

I think I did as well until I went back and watched it. It's amazing how everyone seems to remember that fight as Aldo sort of struggling. It was anything but that. Mendes really got nothing done. Aldo got right to business with some very hard leg kicks straight away as well. Which would've built up and only made Mendes' takedowns weaker as the fight went on. And Mendes' punches weren't finding the target either, nearly all looked to be deflected off Aldo's arms. It wasn't like Aldo was rocking him and stuff, but he was definitely winning and literally Mendes' only bright spell was just stifling Aldo by holding him for about 30-40 seconds in the last minute before getting his face kneed off.

Totally different than how I remembered it going.

• Paid Members

I will revisit, i had Mendes winning the round in my head.

I think I did as well until I went back and watched it. It's amazing how everyone seems to remember that fight as Aldo sort of struggling. It was anything but that. Mendes really got nothing done. Aldo got right to business with some very hard leg kicks straight away as well. Which would've built up and only made Mendes' takedowns weaker as the fight went on. And Mendes' punches weren't finding the target either, nearly all looked to be deflected off Aldo's arms. It wasn't like Aldo was rocking him and stuff, but he was definitely winning and literally Mendes' only bright spell was just stifling Aldo by holding him for about 30-40 seconds in the last minute before getting his face kneed off.

Totally different than how I remembered it going.

it's weird how fight perception changes from initial viewing and repeated viewings, you find yourself being subjective first time around cause you hope certain things will happen, it's a strange thing.

• Paid Members

Snowden is cack. It is a pretty shit card though. The main event and the Conor McGregor factor aside, there really isn't much to get excited about. Especially coming off 178. I like Glover and Maldonado but Glover's matched with the walking cure for insomnia and Maldonado's got a some fucker. It's basically a weak Fight Pass show with Aldo vs Mendes tacked on.

I do not have much of a opinion on Snowden. I enjoyed the Total MMA book he wrote as it has a great chapter about Bob Sapp's commercial success in Japan. I follow him on Twitter, but other than today's comments, he never says much that stands out.

That is the 3rd person to be named the "American GAD" on my count. 

1. Kenny Rice

2. Kevin Iole 

3, Snowden

At this rate we may as well say everyone involved in MMA Media is a hack.

Archived