Old sweeties

Sergio Mendacious

I spent my whole childhood reading anything and everything I could get my hands on. First it was comics - Beano (DING, anyone?), Buster (was Leopard of Lime St in here?), Whizzer and Chips (I may be the world's only Chip-ite), and Nutty (pre Bananaman being on TV in a dodgy shaky Rhubarb and Custard show). Next I went across to Eagle (the Doomlord photo stories were terrifying), Scream (The 13th Floor), and everything Marvel inc Secret Wars, Zoids and Transformers.

On the book front, I was given a book called Citadel of Chaos which led to me having a collection of over 40 novels that I would carry around in a very heavy box wherever I went. The Fighting Fantasy Books were such a big part of my growing up, not that I ever went anywhere near a dice for the combat. I was all about the cheating - keeping my finger in the previously read entry in case I ended up on an instant death page. House of Hell was a nightmare for dead ends.

After all this I started reading Crash and the Speccy mags. When I joined a new school school I was almost considered a God on the first day for clutching a copy of Sinclair User with the cover mounted cassette of the Operation Wolf Demo. From here I went on to read Computer and Video Games (Jaz Rignall - what a tosser), Mean Machines, Super Play and everything all the way up to Retro Gamer.

Wrestling mags have been done to death elsewhere, so I won't dwell on them too much here, other than to say I had them all too. I've also forgotten to mention all the annuals, comic libraries, Viz, Star Wars Comics and film mags. I still have most everything I've listed in the loft and storage - I can't bin it all as it gave me so much pleasure growing up.

This started as a thread about sweets so I'd just like to ask if anyone remembers a couple of old ones that I loved as a kid - Trebor Mummies, a tube of boiled sweets that had a horror story printed on the inside of the label, and Ipso - a sort of Lego brick filled with citrus tablets?

• Paid Members

I still have every Beano I ever bough, or was ever bought for me to be more accurate.

They are all in box files in chronological order. I've not read them for years, and I'm sure a couple still have the Wham bar sellotaped to the front as well. When I get to them as part of moving house I'll have to get them out and do something with them.

I still get the annual for Christmas every year, it's tradition of sorts.

• Paid Members

After all this I started reading Crash and the Speccy mags. When I joined a new school school I was almost considered a God on the first day for clutching a copy of Sinclair User with the cover mounted cassette of the Operation Wolf Demo. From here I went on to read Computer and Video Games (Jaz Rignall - what a tosser), Mean Machines, Super Play and everything all the way up to Retro Gamer.

I found an end to Crash's "Tamara Knight" stories online, but it really was a disappointment.

• Paid Members

I still have every Beano I ever bough, or was ever bought for me to be more accurate.

They are all in box files in chronological order. I've not read them for years, and I'm sure a couple still have the Wham bar sellotaped to the front as well. When I get to them as part of moving house I'll have to get them out and do something with them.

I still get the annual for Christmas every year, it's tradition of sorts.

They also sometimes did Highland Toffee bars on the front, didn't they?

I also bought all the computer mags, or almost all of them. Total! was my favourite, it had quite a different style to it and they also had a nice sideline in swearing and made-up words. Ace was like the Sight & Sound of computer mags.

Archived