The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

Thoughts on the Christmas Day games?

The Nets and Knicks both looked dreadful. Ugh, it was horrific to watch. JR Smith was just jacking up every shot he could. OKC were just eating them alive by the end.

Loved Heat/Lakers. This LA team without Kobe or Nash are playing aggressively and it's great to watch. Nick Young's long 3 over Lebron was awesome. Unlike JR Smith, Young seems to play with heart, despite his flaws. Lebron's two dunks were CRAZY though. He's quietly getting even better this season and it's getting somewhat lost in all of the Pacers/Portland/Clippers buzz, which is scary.

As expected, GSW/Clippers was the game of the day. Just fantastic stuff from start to finish. Really thought LA were going to get the win and thought that Crawford was going to land that 3 in the final second, but it was not to be. Some horrific officiating in this one too - there's no way Griffin should have been ejected when he was. Awful, awful call. I liked the tempers flaring between these teams again and can't wait until their next game on Jan. 30th!

Al Horford is out for the rest of the season too. They might as well just give the Heat the title now, Lebron is getting so lucky with all these injuries!

On a serious note, it's probably been the worst NBA season since 98/99. A lot of stars are going down and for long periods too, a lot of ugly basketball being played and the East just being a laughing stock. I'm not sure how you rectify it either, other than player a shorter season. It's a mess.

Losing Westbrook for 27 games is an absolute killer. He was then getting back to top form, the Thunder have been killing a lot of teams too. I still think they'll be a top 2 seed but it's frustrating, losing momentum.

So that's Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, Kobe, Horford, Brook Lopez, Deron Williams and Melo who have missed at least some game time this season. It's killing the league at the moment, attendances are down around the league and it's hardly a surprise. At this rate, the Bobcats are legitimate contenders for the 3rd seed in the East. What a clusterfuck. Not the way David Stern would have wanted to go out.

• Paid Members
Thoughts on the Christmas Day games?

The Nets and Knicks both looked dreadful. Ugh, it was horrific to watch. JR Smith was just jacking up every shot he could. OKC were just eating them alive by the end.

I was at the game. Even though Knicks have had an awful start to the season, the atmosphere was really good. That is until they went 25 + points behind and the crowd were just on their backs. They just looked so poor, one of their top scorers Stoudemire looked like he was missing the simplest of shots. Durant made it look too easy against them all. Also, before the game, I didn't know who Ibaka was, but he was quality too.

On a side note, I absolutely loved MSG. Such an awesome arena, and knowing what has taken place there wrestling and not wrestling wise made the feeling even more special.

Cavs @ Celtics live on BT Sport 2 now. Been a good game so far. I actually think Cleveland will be better off without Bynum, who's been suspended and apparently doesn't want to play basketball anymore...

Good comeback for the Cavs, I personally hope Bynum stays in Cleveland could see my Nets trading for him and he is all we need for to continue train wreck of a season even though I have seen a Pierce for Bynum trade rumored which we then see the Nets waive Bynum to reduce the luxury tax with have to pay this season which I would be cool with.

Cavs @ Celtics live on BT Sport 2 now. Been a good game so far. I actually think Cleveland will be better off without Bynum, who's been suspended and apparently doesn't want to play basketball anymore...

Good comeback for the Cavs, I personally hope Bynum stays in Cleveland could see my Nets trading for him and he is all we need for to continue train wreck of a season even though I have seen a Pierce for Bynum trade rumored which we then see the Nets waive Bynum to reduce the luxury tax with have to pay this season which I would be cool with.

Bynum is done. He'll be waived by the Cavs before the 7th, I'm certain of it. I'd actually take a punt on him in OKC if it meant getting rid of Perkins. Pierce back to the Celtics seems to be a rumour with more legs to it. I think it could happen. Trouble is, half the Celtics roster is full of players the Nets didn't want in the first place and Pierce didn't want to leave Boston in the first place. It's a mess. I'm not sure how big Brandon Bass' contract is but I suppose he could be one option. Anything other than a disinterested coasting to retirement KG would be better. They really need to fire J Kidd first though, before they do anything. He's lost that dressing room a long time a go.

• Paid Members
Fuck. Chris Paul (shoulder) out 3-5 weeks. Jesus Christ...

There's also talk of a Blake Griffin for Carmelo Anthony trade, which I'd HATE to see happen. I love both the Knicks and the Clippers, but just no.

Oddly, I dont hate it. But then I do love Griffin....

Clippers have already moved to say that their not interested in moving Blake, and rightly so too. As much as I love Melo, there's no sense in the move right now. I think from Melo's shortlist of clubs he wants to move to, Clippers, Bulls or Lakers, he's most likely to land in Chicago, I think it's a massive reason why they didn't really strengthen their bench this year and they haven't gone all out to extend Deng's contract. Melo and a fit again Rose would be the best team the Bulls have had since 98. I think they'll move Boozer too, free up some cap space. This off season is going to be brilliant viewing.