UKFF Fish Keeping Topic

The Four Horsemen

I had a look around the forum and couldn't see anything about this so thought I would start a thread.

So my setup is a 60 litre Tetra Aqua Art tank, with not a huge amount in it stock wise.

4 Plattys (3 female, 1 male)

2 Red Horn Snails

6 Yamoto Shrimps

3 Zebra Danios (1 male, 2 female)

Its a new tank, just got it today after upgrading from a 35 litre tank, but followed the advice from the fish shop and used the water from the old tank as a base for the new tank.

So is anyone else into fish keeping then?

Chat On!!

• Paid Members

I got a 30 litre tank a few months ago and it took a bit of time (and several casualties) to settle. Started with a couple of Golden Gourami, still going strong, but a few weeks later I added 2 each of Neon Tetra, Glowlight Tetra, Rummy-nosed Tetra and Harlequins. All died within a week.

A month later added two Corydorus- one still alive, the other 'vanished' while I was on holiday. Weird. Other fish must've devoted it, the poor bastard.

Having a big fucking problem with snails at the moment- dozens of the buggers. Any tips to get rid of them? If so, let Minnow.

Don't be koi.

Anyone else find when you go into places like Pets at Home, it's like the Spanish Inquisition? Went in there the other week to get a bog standard simple goldfish right? Discussion went something like:

"How big is your tank?"

"About 20 litres"

"How many fish are in there already?"

"3"

"Hmmmm, how long have they been in there?"

"Oldest one is about 9months"

"How long have you been keeping fish?"

"About 5 years"

"Do you clean the water regularly?"

"Yes"

"Do you have a filter?"

"Yes"

"Do you have any other living fish or suckers in there?"

"No"

"Do you have any live plants in your tank?"

"No"

"Is the tank in direct sunlight?"

"No! I just want a bloody goldfish!"

I appreciate they have the animal welfare at heart, but funnily enough they had no answer when questioned why in their 15litre(ish) tanks they have about 30 fish, but I'm not allowed to have more than 4 in my 20 litre tank at home.....

• Paid Members

Yes I had that experience too, and I'm glad. Perhaps annoying for someone that already knows about fish-keeping inside and out, but even for intermediate experienced keepers like myself I took their advice on board when I was buying fish for my new tank. Better than years ago when those massive pet shops would just sell anything to any old gillable customer.

@Benoit- I love the fact you named your son Jake The Snake Roberts.

Pardon my French but Pets At Home are basically shite.

I have found out since getting my new tank that my Platty's do not like anything less than 19c, also the tanks that the fish are kept in are effectivley one huge tank which increases the likely hood of the fish catching that horrible white spot disease.

And after seeing this Watchdog

I will personally never use them again, it will be independent Fish shops for me from now on.

I've also been advised that my Platty's and Danio's should be a shoal of at least 6 so will be topping them up and getting an air pump and air stone at the weekend. Then i'll take some pic's and upload.

• Paid Members

I guess each store is different, but I don't entirely blame your stance. When I lived at home and kept fish for several years we completely avoided PetCity of whatever they were called then, because we had bad experiences from there and you get the impression a sixteen year old working there part-time whilst at college isn't going to care as much as a bespoke independent trader. But I've been quite impressed with the Pets At Home around here. The bloke certainly seemed to know his stuff and although originally I wasn't going to get any fish from there, I did and they're still fine (bar the cannibal victim corydorus while I was away). All fish I've bought from an independent this time round have died within a week or so, though in fairness that's probably more down to my tank not being settled enough.

At the dreaded risk of sounding like I know what I'm talking about, I don't think platies are a shoaling fish. I've only been recommended that you outnumber males with females (or have no females) so females aren't pestered. Danios are shoaling fish but to be honest in my experience they are so hardy and borderline indestructible (my girlfriend dropped one on the carpet and we just chucked him back in and he got on with it) that you can probably have less than 6 without them being too stressed. Tetras and Harlequins are def shoaling and I believe get stressed in fewer numbers. Corys are ace and very amusing with their rummaging, ascending to the top for gulps of air etc. I have a 60 litre with Danios, a platy, cardinal tetras and leopard corys.

I optimistically bought a pair of rather fancy Blue Ram Cichlids that are very hard to keep and prefer soft water (mine is hardish) and they predictably died within a few months. I think the main thing is to check your water quality/type and cater your fish selection around that and don't go mental with stocking.

I think i'm going to leave the Platty's at the current level, the Danio's i'll add another male and 2 females taking it to 6.

My other half loved the Cory's when we saw them at the weekend so may get a couple of them and 3 or 4 others to take it to maximum level.

I'm also going to invest in an air pump and hook it up to either an air stone like i've said above or one of these LED strips that has a bubble curtain built in.

• Paid Members
I'm also going to invest in an air pump and hook it up to either an air stone like i've said above or one of these LED strips that has a bubble curtain built in.

What are these things?

I got an airpump yesterday, shit the Gourami's up big time. I'll probably find an airstone at some point this week for it.

I finally got a light for the tank, hand-me-down from my brother-in-law. Need to get a hood now though, are Clearseal hoods the best inexpensive ones to get? I want a flip lid to make feeding easy, I've seen them online for about

What are these things?

I got an airpump yesterday, shit the Gourami's up big time. I'll probably find an airstone at some point this week for it.

I finally got a light for the tank, hand-me-down from my brother-in-law. Need to get a hood now though, are Clearseal hoods the best inexpensive ones to get? I want a flip lid to make feeding easy, I've seen them online for about

Archived