UFC 164: 'Henderson vs Pettis II'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Mir looks in good nick. Barnett wearing a t-shirt is a bit of a worry; what's he hiding in there?

Vera looks in okay shape, he doesn't look as fat as I thought he would at 241. The pictures on google images, if anyone's interested.

I'm one of those strange people who actually quite likes Mir, and I fancy him to sneak it tonight.

Yeah, Mir looked in good shape. I think at 240-250 he's at his best weight. He seems to move better when he's around the 240s. When he bulked up to 265 a couple of years ago he looked really sluggish. He's said himself the biggest positive thing the move to Greg Jackson's has done for him has been the improvement in his conditioning. And I think there were signs of that after one camp at Jackson's when he fought Cormier. He should be a better version of that tonight. I can't wait for this fight. Hoping Barnett destroys him though.

Here's Speedo Vera at 241;

ben-rothwell-brandon-vera-ufc-164-weigh-in.jpg

Yeah, surprisingly he doesn't look that much different. I thought he'd look like a Buddha at 241.

Palelei has been hyped as a fighter who could make waves for years, he has that stinker with Eddie Sanchez, and he did lose in Pride in a fight I have never seen (its meant to be beyond bad) But I have read he has improved since 2007.

I've said this before but I quite enjoyed that fight. I really don't get the hate. Give it a look sometime. It's not a FOTY or anything (wouldn't even have been FOTN on that card headlined by Wandy vs Rampage 2), but it's a fun heavyweight brawl with a finish. The Korean bloke, I forget his name without looking him up, was insanely tough. That's the lasting memory of that fight for me, I can't remember his name but I remember he ate some bombs and came back to finish Soa The Hulk.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've said this before but I quite enjoyed that fight. I really don't get the hate. Give it a look sometime. It's not a FOTY or anything (wouldn't even have been FOTN on that card headlined by Wandy vs Rampage 2), but it's a fun heavyweight brawl with a finish. The Korean bloke, I forget his name without looking him up, was insanely tough. That's the lasting memory of that fight for me, I can't remember his name but I remember he ate some bombs and came back to finish Soa The Hulk.

Fair enough, will give it a go some time :thumbsup: I know the Korean guy you are on about, lost to Sergai later on in Pride if I recall right.

Vera looks a bit broader in the shoulders, other than that I see no difference either. He has never been the most toned/ripped, even at 205lbs.

• Paid Members

If you watch it sometime, don't go in expecting a classic like Nog vs Randy or anything, but it's a fun enough fight. Something similar to what you might see on a UFC prelim featuring a Pat Barry, Lavar Johnson or Shane Del Rosario. I liked it though, and I really had no expectations going in, its just a DVD extra on the Pride 28 release. And all I'd seen of either at that point was Soa's turd of a UFC fight with Eddie Sanchez. It was a pleasant surprise.

I looked up our Korean friend. Choi Mu-Bae. You remember right, he later lost to Sergei. He has wins over Gary Goodridge and Dave Herman though. And he did beat the legendary Giant Silva.

The polls are interesting. Bendo currently leading 11-10 over Pettis, which shows how well matched those two are. Barnett and Mendes are both thrashing Mir and Guida 16-5 each at the minute.

Krylov could be a good prospect. 21 years old, 6'3" and he's 15-2 with all his wins by stoppage. He's Ukrainian and his nickname is 'Al Capone' for some reason. Look at him;

Be very wary of Krylov. He is meant to have a padded record and not very good from what I hear. Jordan Breen basically said he was King Of The Cage level the other day.

His first fight was july of last year, so he went 15-2 in less than ten months!

• Paid Members
His first fight was july of last year, so he went 15-2 in less than ten months!

That's incredible. Jordan Breen is being way harsh then. To go 15-2 in that short a time, at such a young age and with such little experience is quite remarkable regardless of the opposition. To expect a guy to be some world beater in his first 10 months is unrealistic. Most MMA newcomers would be looking at having maybe 4 or 5 fights tops in their first 10 months. This fucker's had 17! The experience he will have gained in his first 10 months is invaluable. It's a unique way to go about starting an MMA career, but he'll have learned a lot from it no doubt.

Jessica Andrade took a similar path. 21 years old, only turned pro in late 2011 and had 11 fights in about 18 months before her UFC debut.

Just watched the weigh in, couple of quick thoughts.

*Brandon Vera looked bigger in motion than he does in that photo above. His neck has disappeared and at least 20lbs of the extra weight appears to have gone to his face. Certainly doesn't look out of shape but definitely looks like he's really tried to bulk up. Not sure how that extra weight will lend itself to his style of striking but standing next to a huge heavyweight like Rothwell, he didn't look dwarved at all. And Rothwell cuts to make heavyweight.

*I completely forgot Ryan Couture was on this card. Unsurprisingly Randy wasn't at the weigh in. He most likely won't be at the fight either.

*The Roufusport guys all got loud reactions. Even Sunburn Erik Koch. Chico Camus got a pretty huge ovation as well being from Milwaukee. And Pettis obviously got the superstar reaction. I really think a big win for Pettis tonight in his hometown, could push Pettis into that superstar bracket in the UFC. Especially if he goes all Tekken mode again.

*Ben Askren might just have the flattest face on the planet. Maybe even more than Hendo's. He could bite a wall. And his protruding chin gives his face a nice crescent moon shape.

*Barnett got his tits out. Might have been just me but he looked a bit flabbier than he did in his last couple of fights in Strikeforce. He never looks ripped though. Barnett never looks in really great shape so I'm not reading much into it.

*Benson Henderson has a weirdly long torso. He's like a fucking Daschund.

Oh and Tim Elliott

tumblr_msdbfeeL3U1s5o68mo1_500.jpg

For once, Louis Gaudinot and his green hair won't be the weirdest looking thing in the cage. That fight is going to look like a couple of midget trolls having a ruck.

*I completely forgot Ryan Couture was on this card. Unsurprisingly Randy wasn't at the weigh in. He most likely won't be at the fight either.

He's in Bulgaria filiming Expendables 3, so he won't be there - probably be too busy sticking to Dana by sticking it to Rousey.

• Paid Members

Twenty years younger and blonde, that's randy Randy's type alright. Dana will probably have a contract put out poor Ryan's life if Randy rams Ronda.

Seriously, I think Randy is banned from cornering Ryan now isn't he? Didn't Ryan get talked into agreeing not to bring Daddy with him? Randy wasn't in Sweden either, due to filming commitments. Funny how Ryan's fights always coincide with Randy being busy these days.

• Paid Members
That beard is awesome

Why?

What is it lately with people getting hard-ons for "epic" beards? Beards & zombies seem to be the 2 newest lame fads ever since Chuck Norris facts declined.

That beard is awesome

Why?

What is it lately with people getting hard-ons for "epic" beards? Beards & zombies seem to be the 2 newest lame fads ever since Chuck Norris facts declined.

Pretty sure I didn't use the word epic. And when did Chuck Norris facts ever decline?

Archived