UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Anyone got any info on stuff happening (or not happening?) in London this week? Shit-all on the UFC site or Twitter feed that I can find other than that weigh ins are open from 1pm on the Friday and that ticket freebies won't be happening because it's sold out. I was expecting a few public appearences and things like that.

On the subject of weigh-ins: has anyone been before? Apparently it opens at 1pm and starts at 4pm. I've got the day off on Friday and don't have a ticket for Saturday, so quite fancy a stroll over there to check it out. Is it a case of getting there super early or risk getting turned away at the door? Am I being naive to assume I can rock up at 3.30pm and stroll straight in?

I've never been to the weigh ins but this should help on that and the first bit of your post;

It

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So when I was in Manchester they had the same set up - autographs, Q&A then weigh ins. I arrived about 12, and there was already a decent queue.

One tip: if you're looking for free tickets, best to run outside as soon as the weigh in is over - they handed them out to the people who got turned away from the weigh ins just outside the venue in Manchester.

• Paid Members
Anyone got any info on stuff happening (or not happening?) in London this week? Shit-all on the UFC site or Twitter feed that I can find other than that weigh ins are open from 1pm on the Friday and that ticket freebies won't be happening because it's sold out. I was expecting a few public appearences and things like that.

On the subject of weigh-ins: has anyone been before? Apparently it opens at 1pm and starts at 4pm. I've got the day off on Friday and don't have a ticket for Saturday, so quite fancy a stroll over there to check it out. Is it a case of getting there super early or risk getting turned away at the door? Am I being naive to assume I can rock up at 3.30pm and stroll straight in?

saw the weigh ins at UFC 120. It was expo weekend though so the format might have been different. Highly recommmed it though, the Q&A's and all that stuff is great.

• Paid Members

Melvin Guillard on his former team mate Michael Johnson;

"Let's get this straight. Me and Michael Johnson were never really friends. We were just training partners. Let's straighten that out right there. We never hung out, we never shot marbles together, we didn't go out and eat dinner or nothing like that. I only saw him at the gym, and after that, I went my way and he went his way. I never really cared for him as a person. I think he's a good fighter, but as a person, when you move your friend out here and then throw your friend under the bus and get him kicked off the team. I think that's [expletive] as a friend. How could you call yourself a friend? I think he's just one of those guys who grew up scared of people and then learned how to fight somewhere along the way. I can look right through that kid. He ain't no gangster, that's for sure."

He ain't no real motherfuckin' G. I can't wait for this fight. I'm looking forward to this as much as the main event, to be honest.

Did anyone watch Beyond the Octagon this week? Still not great but I liked the Gustafsson vs Manuwa bits. Manuwa seems very confident. Not over-confident or cocky but there's a quiet coolness about him which I like. I still fancy Gustafsson to submit him but Manuwa is coming across very calm and confident considering it's the biggest fight of his career by far.

I thought Forrest Griffin came off pretty well. And the more I see of Joanne Calderwood the more I hope she goes all the way and wins this next womens TUF. Comes off as very likeable and the contrast of her personality outside the cage and then how vicious she is during fights, I think she'll gain a lot of fans on TUF.

I'm really not a fan of Christian O'Connell though. He's so fucking smug and constantly trying to shoehorn his shit jokes in. He's so pre-occupied with trying to cram his hilarious wisecracks in there that he routinely flubs his lines and fucks up. I hear he's a longtime MMA fan so I was sort of hopeful when he was announced as the new presenter but I just find him annoying. It was bad enough with GAD, now they've got two smug twats. If it wasn't for Dan Hardy it'd have been a non-stop circle jerk of COC (how apt) with his shite jokes and GAD with his bumbling, MMA version of Boris Johnson schtick.

• Paid Members

yeh i found O'Connell a twat as well, seems like a guy hired to host rather than being someone whos genuinely passionate about the sport and wants to be there. I dont mind the show though, its a decent watch and its getting better.

...as for Saturday, im fancying Manuwa. If i had money if be putting a few quid on him for the upset.

• Paid Members

I cant wait for Saturday's fight. I'm so pumped up for the main event. There's so much riding on this fight, but regardless of the outcome its a win win.

Gus wins we perhaps get the Jones rematch, Manuwa wins we get a Brit launched into the title picture and creates possibly the biggest moment in British mma history. If the later happens we more than likely get that Jones/Cormier fight which for me will be truly special.

Thanks for that Guillard quote above Wand. Thats made me excited about that fight. On top of that we have the return of Gunnar Nelson.

Plus, watching a card at a decent time with a stack of beers. Bring on Saturday!

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm really excited to see Gunnar Nelson back in there. My only worry is he's coming off a long layoff. But I think he should beat Akhmedov. Could be a fun one though.

Eddie Alvarez is going to be there as well, he's cornering Michael Johnson. Between him, Forrest, McGregor, Pearson, Calderwood, there's a fair few well known fighters knocking about London who aren't fighting on the card. Is Chael here with Barnatt? I'm guessing not or we'd have heard about it and they'd have had him doing appearances.

• Paid Members

So weigh ins have just finished and a couple of things I picked up on. Firstly the massive difference in some fucker after a training camp. The guy is built like a brick shit house. Brad Pickett looked ridiculously skinny at 125, and Manuwa looked incredible on the scales.

• Paid Members

Some Fucker's on a mission!

Alexander Gustafsson (204) vs. Jimi Manuwa (205)

Melvin Guillard (156) vs. Michael Johnson (155)

Brad Pickett (125) vs. Neil Seery (125)

Gunnar Nelson (170) vs. Omari Akhmedov (170)

Cyrille Diabate (205) vs. Some Fucker (205)

Luke Barnatt (186) vs. Mats Nilsson (184)

Brad Scott (186) vs. Claudio Henrique da Silva (185)

Roland Delorme (134) vs. Davey Grant (136)

Igor Araujo (171) vs. Danny Mitchell (170)

Louis Gaudinot (126) vs. Phil Harris (125)

• Paid Members

Grant vs Delorme has been scrapped at the eleventh hour. Grant has a knee injury but was fighting to stay on the card. But after an MRI he's been pulled from the show. Shame. Both are getting their show and win money.

I've been following Joanne Calderwood's day through twitter and she seems absolutely delightful. I've not seen any of her fights at all and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for her?

Her last Cage Warriors fight against Sally Krumdiack is a quick one if you like brutal knockouts.

• Paid Members

sucks about Davey Grant, he must be gutted.

Echo you on Gunnar Nelson wand. hopefully the guy stays healthy and starts fighting on a more regular basis, guys legit.

• Paid Members
I've been following Joanne Calderwood's day through twitter and she seems absolutely delightful. I've not seen any of her fights at all and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for her?

If you can find it watch the Ashley Cummins fight from Invicta 3. And the Krumdiack fight mentioned above. Her last two fights against Norma Rueda Center and Katja Kankaanpaa, both in Invicta, she got to show more. She's got some pretty solid takedown defence and submission defence. And they're both meant to be pretty good grapplers. She showed she's more than just a straight up Thai fighter. She's improving everywhere.

Check out the elbow from her fight with Livia Von Plettenberg as well;

Joanne_Calderwood_def._Livia_von_Plettenberg_by_unanimous_decision__30-27__30-27__30-26__Elbow_medium.gif

I really like her. She's impossible not to like really. Outside the cage she's lovely, inside the cage she's a beast. Unless there's the female version of JDS on TUF 20, I'll almost certainly be rooting for Calderwood to win TUF. I'd say she's got a decent shot but it's going to be a really tough tournament. I could see any of Calderwood, Esparza or Gadelha winning. Tecia Torres is my darkhorse. I love Rose Namajunas as well but I can't see her going too far sadly. Might be just a bit too early for her. But fuck knows.

Archived