UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Not live chat because it's pre-recorded...

Is anyone watching the Countdown now on BT? Fucking GAD's on there. In a leopard print scarf Pat Butcher would be iffy about wearing.

Click the Countdown video above and have a look at the tosser for yourself.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers, think I will stay up for this one. MMA on a Friday feels weird though. Just seen GAD's attire, yeah lived up to your description, outdone himself again. "Pat Butcher would find it iffy" summed it up nicely

Someone made a valid point about GAD on here lately, as much as his erm attire stands out , he is a right boring git. He rarely says anything interesting or insightful. he just describes what's going on.

Which is why it stands out when does say something of note ("proper bloke" or threatening to punch Helwani). 

Maybe that's why he's wearing that scarf. Law of inverse proportions - the more you put into presentation, the less you have to put into content.

Makes sense 

Not sure your cardio will hold up, Jim.

3am, and still awake ready for the show

don't doubt my cardio son  ;)

• Paid Members

Another fun show.

Jacare fucking schooled Mousasi as expected on the ground. And cracked him a few times standing. I thought it would be a close fight but it really wasn't. Jacare is a machine. I'd still favour Weidman because I can see Jacare struggling to take him down and on the feet, while Jacare certainly has power, he gets very wild at times. Could pay off or be his downfall against someone like Weidman. Really want to see that fight though. And I still wouldn't be surprised if it happens next. I've just got a feeling something is going to fuck up Weidman vs Belfort. I could Belfort being taken out, either by injury or another drug controversy.

Overeem is a bust. His UFC run has almost been a complete washout. I don't even know what to say anymore. Now we know why he wasn't keen on fighting JDS. Ben Rothwell just wiped him the fuck out. Imagine the mess JDS would've made of him? Forget about Cain. He'd be mincemeat, never mind horsemeat. What do they do with Overeem now? They still won't want him going to Bellator. But they'll be wanting him to take a hefty paycut now, surely. I was going to say the division just got less interesting but if Rothwell can do that to him, then how interesting would he be against Cain or JDS? Rothwell vs the Bigfoot/Arlovski winner would make sense, I guess.

Meathead winning disappointed me. Makes me laugh how he bangs on about disrespect after standing over his knocked out opponent taunting him. So what Lewis called him out? I don't remember Lewis' callout even being disrespectful either. Meathead is a prick. Him and his 100mph talking can piss off.

Oh and Meathead was on about being classy after the fight. Helwani retweeted this...

I'm glad my guys can pay their mortgages and his guys lost their rent money - @mattmitrione tells @arielhelwani on @FOXSportsLive

Lauzon vs Chiesa was tremendous while it lasted. Still my FOTN despite the unfortunate ending. Pleased for Lauzon though. What a heartwarming story with his son beating cancer. Hopefully we get Lauzon vs Chiesa 2 set up soon.

The Justin Scoggins hype train got derailed by Dustin Ortiz. It's crashed now. Scoggins is clearly very skilled but Moraga just got him perfectly and there was no escape. Very impressive.

Iaquinta looked good against Damm. Really entertaining last couple of minutes and a nice finish.

This Chas Skelly guy, I like him. Gassed badly but given that it was his second fight in a fortnight I think he gets some slack. I liked his constant effort to finish the fight.

Good set of fights, I thought.

Oh and the TUF 20 preview was pretty fucking great! As was Rashad's impression of Overeem on the FOX panel.

Really good show.

Jacare has really come of age, evolved into one of the most well-rounded fighters in the sport. A credible challenger for Weidman

Reem is a bit of a knob, and his career has gone to the dogs the past few years, but I still wished he won last night. Rothwell might have some entertaining brawls with the likes of JDS and Browne, but he doesn't have the talent to be a serious threat to Cain. Overeem appeared at one time that he might be able to trouble the top contenders. I have never seen that in Rothwell.

Meathead is such a plank, I cannot take him seriously. Whether he plays up to a character or not.

• Paid Members

Rothwell might have some entertaining brawls with the likes of JDS and Browne, but he does have the talent to be a serious threat to Cain.

I assume you meant doesn't there, right Jim?

Rothwell is mediocre but he had two things going for him that always made me question picking Overeem last night. Durability and heavy hands. Overeem looked sharp in the first couple of minutes but once again, it seems like whenever he comes up against someone who won't go away and who he can't just walk down, he fucking wilts. And he's always been the same. You can go back to the Liddell fight in 2003, the two Shogun fights, the second Kharitonov fight, the Little Nog fights, Bigfoot. If the other guy can withstand his early attack, he's basically shot his load and goes flaccid.

Rothwell couldn't have done that to Cain or JDS. We saw what a much less experienced Cain did to him five years ago. Completely mauled him. I think JDS would ruin him as well. Rothwell would probably be tough enough to hang in for a bit but I think it'd look like JDS vs Nelson. Just a slow, savage beating.

Overeem's done for now at the top level. And I'm not sure how he even gets back there now. How many guys in the division could you stick him in with and be confident he wins? It's a short list. At this point I'd even give Meathead or fucking Soa Palelei a decent shot at cracking him one. Miocic might beat him. I think Barnett and Werdum beat him. Hunt might catch him now as well. There's no-one really who I'd say is a comfortable win for Overeem. Except for Big Nog :( or if you want to really scrape the barrel, I think he decimates Ruan Potts.

He has all the skills required to be a terror in the heavyweight division. But his chin, cardio and lack of durability fuck him. He's probably the biggest frontrunner in the history of the sport. If shit starts going wrong he can't steer it back on track. He never has and it seems he never will.

Overeem is such a disappointment. He looks the part maybe more than anyone else in the sport. He's like a Christmas present you've been waiting for all year, you get it, it looks awesome, then you find out it's faulty.

Meathead is such a plank, I cannot take him seriously. Whether he plays up to a character or not.

I don't think he plays up to a character. I just think he's a fucking arsehole. People can say 'well you don't know him, you're just judging by what you see on TV', but that's him on TV. He looked a fucking twat back on TUF 10 but I suppose he could use the old 'they edited me to look a cunt' get-out clause. No-one's editing him in the cage though or in his live interviews. Or when he's saying really hateful nasty shit to Fallon Fox.

It's like he can't help himself. He starts off an interview like last night's with Anik, and he's being all nice and talking about becoming more mature and being "a grown-ass man with three kids". He's talking about being respectful and all that. Then he's saying that shit to Helwani about mortgages and rent or whatever. He can't turn his cunt meter off. Every time he tries to put on the nice humble guy act, his dickheadedness spews forth from his stupid big face.

I assume you meant doesn't there, right Jim?

Late night catching up to me. I pretty much agree with what you wrote there.

When I say "entertaining brawls", I mean he could take quite a few shots off JDS, before he would be finished. I would expect JDS to beat him handily. 

The only thing I will say about Meathead is, that I do not think he is the sharpest knife in the draw. He is a wanker, but I think it is down to him being a oaf than any venom. 

• Paid Members

The only thing I will say about Meathead is, that I do not think he is the sharpest knife in the draw. He is a wanker, but I think it is down to him being a oaf than any venom.

He's definitely a leopard print scarf short of a GAD.

As a great man once said about Meathead;

"That boy's cheese fell of its cracker."

rashad-evans-shocked.JPG

Archived