What can TNA realistically do to improve their rating ?

RancidPunx

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get some Chinese and Russian wrestlers and promote in those areas

China and Russia are massive untapped markets salivating for the chance to view sweaty behemoths tombstoning each other on concrete floors

Sounds massively expensive, when do they make money? Assuming the answer isn't 'never'.

How did Ring Ka King workout btw coz I don't know...

Get some Chinese and Russian wrestlers and promote in those areas

China and Russia are massive untapped markets salivating for the chance to view sweaty behemoths tombstoning each other on concrete floors

Sounds massively expensive, when do they make money? Assuming the answer isn't 'never'.

How did Ring Ka King workout btw coz I don't know...

Most likely, TNA didn't make any money from Ring Ka King but they didn't lose any money either. Endemol handled the production side of the show, the network (which was/is one of the biggest networks in India) handled the advertising (and there was plenty of it), they also had a big sponsor in Tata Motors and a big local celebrity endorsing the show/being part of the show. All TNA had to do is book the talent and write the shows, and I'm not sure if the talent were being paid by TNA or their Indian partners. Pretty sweet deal, if you can get it. They might've been able to make some money from it (or lose some) if the promotion had done live event touring but things never went that far.

TNA's biggest chance was in 2006. They signed Kurt Angle who was still a giant name, Samoa Joe was super hot coming off his feud with Scott Steiner.

While I agree with that, what about in 2011 when they gave Robert Roode that mega babyface push? I still think that promo video is one of the best they've done. Plus with the whole BFG series, I think TNA really had something there. I remember many people who usually don't care about TNA wanting to watch that PPV. It was a great PPV with the Hogan and Sting match being awesome and then we get to the main event, not only did Roode lose, but they ran out of time, so had to rush the match, so it was really awful. Then the next Impact his best mate wins the belt. Just a slap in the face for months and months of building a guy. Yes, I know Roode went on to play a good heel. However, I still think they missed the boat on that one again. The end of BFG was the last time I was really invested in TNA. It's no wonder people stop buying their PPV's. 2006 and 2011, these moments don't come along often in wrestling, not saying it would mean a massive spike in ratings, but it would help getting other guys over, which in the long term can only help TNA.

As for improving their ratings, more money and bigger budgets to match WWE. Which pretty much ain't going to happen, and even if they do that, as said in here already, the fan base for wrestling is so low, the rating wouldn't shift that much anyway. In the end, if you find enjoyment in watching it, then the rating shouldn't matter anyway.

I don't think there's any one thing TNA can do to improve their rating. I just think some of the reasons their ratings aren't increasing significantly have already been covered by others (eg smaller pool of overall wrestling fans, lack of interest in wrestling compared to the last boom period etc) Then there's stuff TNA have brought on themselves ie inconsistent storylines, non-sensical booking decisions which have caused alot of ill feeling from fans previously willing to give TNA a chance.

Having said all this, TNA imo have begun making steps in the right direction. The move out of the impact zone, putting on what I believe to be good, consistent impact wrestling episodes. However, TNA need to be seriously advertising their product more. Being on the road will help but they need to be going on radio shows people actually listen to and advertise their product to tv stations people actually watch, for example. They also need to be creating new stars (ideally homegrown), whose characters have purpose, that people can relate to and thus want to see and pay to see in arenas and on PPV's (easier said than done I realise). Sting, Hogan, Bully Ray, Hardy & Angle can't be expected to be the cornerstone of the company forever.

Archived