William Regal - Audience With A Wrestling Villain.

Chris Brooker

Great show, really enjoyed the whole evening, Regal was great to listen to and the acts in the first half were lots of fun as well. The bizarre collective moment of realisation that everyone seemed to have when JR, Brisco and Norman Smiley had just walked into the room was brilliant. Good to see Dart, Rob and a number of others who I haven't seen in ages as well.

Any idea when/where the pictures with Regal will be uploaded?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great night, really enjoyed all the acts, including Robbie Brookside's Brian Dixon impression.

Have to say it was the most surreal thing in the world when we realised that JR, Briscoe and Smiley sat behind us. Hearing JR's voice behind you is like your own personal RAW. Very strange.

Needless to say, I'm now shattered as we only got home at 2am driving back to Wigan.

Great show...

I was gutted when people wanted to meet Regal.. I would of loved to of sat there for another hour and listened to Regals stories... Amazing storyteller who I feel we only really scratched the surface on his knowledge and understanding...

Well done Chris you booked a great show the opening acts were seriously funny too!!

declining to mention Russo by name but instead referring to 'one of the writers at the time' and a subtle wanker hand gesture whenever he needed to refer to him.

To quote a lot of the fine folks on here that attend TNA and indie shows, THIS is awesome.

Had a brilliant time last night! Chris, Jim and Billy were all great, not too often you get the chance to hear mostly wrestling comedy and it was all great stuff. The main event of Regal was just superb, like many I thought the time flew by and could have listened for hours, but I did want to meet him. He tells a great story and there were some great ones in there and it felt like we only scratched the surafce. I'd love Regal and other wrestlers to do more things like this, it's a great medium and environment to hear their stories and it's not very often you get the chance in this country, outside of watching shoot interviews.

Was surreal but great when JR, Brisco and Smiley walked in. Regal was a real gent when I met him, as he seemed to be with everyone, very humble and thankful. Thanks to all involved for a memorable night.

• Paid Members
Because Russo, of course, played no part at all in the beloved Attitude era!

His context was "one of the writers who was around at the time and who took credit and continues to do so for things that he wasn't actually involved in, making it seem as though everything golden was his idea when in fact it came from a variety of people, including Mr Ross over there ..." Why shouldn't he think him a wanker, especially when part of Russo's genius was the Oklahoma character?

He did reveal an interesting something about Russo's mindset actually when discussing his original WWF character:

"And so this writer (does wanker gesture again) came up to me and explained what I would be doing. We were going to build on my Englishness, as he explained: 'See, you English men are different to us. You're like Elton John or George Michael.' And so that was his plan - he was going to make me into a bisexual lumberjack. Well, I said 'great', you know - I can work with anything, make an idea work. Or so I thought."

He was brilliant with the dead-panning!

Because Russo, of course, played no part at all in the beloved Attitude era!

Why shouldn't he think him a wanker, especially when part of Russo's genius was the Oklahoma character?

That character was an abomination. One of many. But the pace of the content and the period where just about everyone had a meaningful feud or angle - that was Russo, was it not? Because these aspects of the TV show were certainly de-emphasised after he left. Obviously none of us were there, but I think the man gets a bad rap because of his WCW and TNA stints.

• Paid Members
One of many. But the pace of the content and the period where just about everyone had a meaningful feud or angle - that was Russo, was it not?

That's true and many people have acknowledged it since then, including on this board. Russo wouldn't be thought of as a wanker for that though. His downfall was crowing continuously "I'm responsible for the success of the WWF in the late 90s; I created Rock and Austin", when he was one of a team contributing and when supposedly Vince McMahon threw a dozen Russovian ideas away for every one he kept. That particular attitude of his when he was actually fairly diabolical (as evidenced when he no longer went through the McMahon filter) as well as nastiness like the Oklahoma character lend to people thinking him a wanker. Were it not for the bullshit he espouses I think he'd probably be held in high esteem with Chris Kreski, as one of the leading writers during a period of success.

One of many. But the pace of the content and the period where just about everyone had a meaningful feud or angle - that was Russo, was it not?

That's true and many people have acknowledged it since then, including on this board. Russo wouldn't be thought of as a wanker for that though. His downfall was crowing continuously "I'm responsible for the success of the WWF in the late 90s; I created Rock and Austin", when he was one of a team contributing and when supposedly Vince McMahon threw a dozen Russovian ideas away for every one he kept. That particular attitude of his when he was actually fairly diabolical (as evidenced when he no longer went through the McMahon filter) as well as nastiness like the Oklahoma character lend to people thinking him a wanker. Were it not for the bullshit he espouses I think he'd probably be held in high esteem with Chris Kreski, as one of the leading writers during a period of success.

Fair points all.

I could have listened to Mr Regal for hours... An hour and a quarter absolutely blasted past. An amazing mix of stories that never ceased to be less than fascinating and were frequently downright hilarious. His ability to bring a story to life through his expression and mannerisms is absolutely world class. Really enjoyed hearing a new side to some fairly familiar tales and rumours. Even ended on a gag.

If you enjoyed the support acts they're both on Twitter, follow them and go see them if they're gigging near you. @JimSmallman and @BillyKirkwood.

We'll hopefully have the photos from the meet & greet uploaded to our Flickr account tonight or tomorrow. If you follow @ErosComedy we'll put the link there as soon as we have it. Will post it here and I'm sure @TheGleeClub and @RealKingRegal will pass it on too.

Thank you to anyone from here that came along. I could play gigs like that every night.

There's definite interest in a tour. Hopefully we can work out the logistics.

• Paid Members
I loved his story about Big Daddy 'tip-toeing' downstairs to scoff his wife's strawberry flan

Robbie Brookside used to tell that story when I trained with him, but it was a trifle. Actually, it was probably a different incident.

I really wish I'd been able to go to this. It sounds incredible. Don't suppose it was filmed at all?

Archived