2012/2013 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Paid Members

Pollok would lose money by entering into the SFL3. You can basically guarantee a good crowd when other Junior Premier Division (can't remember the actual name of the league now) teams come to town. Could you guarantee that if Montrose, East Stirling, etc turned up?

EDIT: Pollok have a nice set-up too. I'd say it's a Scottish Division 1-esq stadium. In a decent part of Glasgow too, so their stadium isn't going to get wrecked like other junior stadiums.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's also a fesability stufy going on at the minute out at Strling Uni, concernign all non-professional football's caledar. One of the options is for the non-professional season to run from February/March to October/November. How would a junior club then be able to make the transition to senior level if their seasons run at different times?

There's also a fesability stufy going on at the minute out at Strling Uni, concernign all non-professional football's caledar. One of the options is for the non-professional season to run from February/March to October/November. How would a junior club then be able to make the transition to senior level if their seasons run at different times?

Well I believe the Russian league recently managed it. You just have a season that lasts 18 months. Or 6 months.

The idea of a juniors league is fairly silly given that there isn't an age cap or anything like that. Just bundle everyone together into regional leagues and let the cream rise to the top of the pyramid.

• Paid Members

Probably a good idea to end the Junior season in November. Junior football basically shuts down (tons of postponements) from then until the middle of February due to how bad some of the pitches get over the winter.

I used to be into it a few months ago, but the amount of absolute fuckwit fans that want to have a "scrap" with you is unbelievable. Found Clydebank pretty bad for it, IMO. Much worse than the pros.

I really enjoy following Banks O Dee. I'm considering following them full time next season opposed to Aberdeen FC. It's getting harder and harder to justify the price I pay for the football on show.

Something that the majority of fans of SPL clubs will agree on I think. All of this talk of ridiculous reconstruction isn't helping either.

Agreed. All this talk about needing change. We need the correct change. You don't see other countries continually chopping and changing with the league set up. Find the correct one and stick with it.

I was at Stranraer v Arbroath on Tuesday night. A crowd of 169 on a freezing night on the same night as Champions League football with four fans from the opposition team. Something needs to change, let's get it right.

• Paid Members
Agreed. All this talk about needing change. We need the correct change. You don't see other countries continually chopping and changing with the league set up. Find the correct one and stick with it.

I was at Stranraer v Arbroath on Tuesday night. A crowd of 169 on a freezing night on the same night as Champions League football with four fans from the opposition team. Something needs to change, let's get it right.

Getting rid of clubs like Stranraer and Arbroath that contribute very little/nothing to Scottish football would be a start.

Getting rid of clubs like Stranraer and Arbroath that contribute very little/nothing to Scottish football would be a start.

When was the last time your lot contributed anything to the game? Apart from guaranteed points in the SPL for us, of course ;)

• Paid Members

When was the last time your lot contributed anything to the game? Apart from guaranteed points in the SPL for us, of course ;)

I think you'll find we provide hilarity for football fans all over the country every season. :thumbsup:

I think you'll find we provide hilarity for football fans all over the country every season. :thumbsup:

I think we all do that on occasion to be fair.

• Paid Members

I think we all do that on occasion to be fair.

To be fair, if we hadn't taken the GWT then you wouldn't have McCall.

I posted a blog a while back with an idea for reconstruction. I think it's reasonably well-researched and well-argued, though my views have softened in certain ways since writing it. The crux is that based on the opinions of smart people involved in managing clubs, you can't sustain professionalism outside the SPL on crowds of less than 2,000 and that semi-professionalism should be regionalised as much as possible. Once you look at Scottish Divisions 2 and 3 for what they are, semi-pro leagues, then you start to wonder why all semi-professional clubs aren't created equal. It's a mess in the East of Scotland, where there should be essentially one system with a premier league made up of both top junior and top senior clubs.

With different licensing levels (pro, senior, junior), you could ensure you never move up if you don't want to. Some clubs in England are happy to be at Step 5, know they can't afford any more and thus don't make the improvements which could see them promoted.

Archived