Players who people think are shit but were actually quite good.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

There isnt much more to say than what is in the title of this thread. I'll start with this man:

manchester-united-david-may-287-promatch-1997-series-2-trading-card-3802-p.jpg

When I was at school, I had a messy basin haircut and played centre half, and had all the pace of an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping. I was one of those "I thought you were shit, mate" players as well. So I was drawn to Maysie straight away. I remember he was famous for being an abysmal replacement for an injured Paul Parker at right back in the 94-95 season and getting lol'd at from the lads in our school because he'd said "I want to join United to win things", only for his former club Blackburn to pip United to the title the very season he'd left them. The season after, though, he played a big part in the title coming back to Old Trafford. Steve Bruce went down with an injury and Gary Pallister's back was playing up, so May got a good run in the team late on in the season and even ended up in the FA Cup final team. The following season, he played 40-odd games and ended up in Glenn Hoddles England squad. After that, he was pretty much injured for the next 6 years before leaving to join Burnley. Although he did have a run of half a dozen games at the end of the 98-99 season, which saw him pick up FA Cup and Champions League medals. These days, though his good few seasons seem forgotten. He's constantly in the "Top 10 Reasons Fergie Is Actually A Shit Manager" lists or "Unless Cunt XI" dream teams. I'll next forget that 24 month spell, where David May gave me hope I could become a footballer.

I pretty much was David May during my school days. Its why I loved him. And its why I'll defend him in pub conversations and footy talk to this day. Its still real to me.

Stone scored in each of his first 4 or 5 England games didn't he? I think they were all relatively meaningless friendlies, but the 9 year-old me still thought he was great because of it.

I remember writing a letter to Everton FC around the same time recommending that they sign Ian Woan and Pierre Van Hooijdonk. Had a thing for Nottm Forest players in the mid-90s, me.

• Paid Members

Does anyone actually think that Steve Stone was shit? Steve Stone was a fucking hero, he was.

I never understood the issue that Chelsea seemed to have with playing David Lee. I thought he was a cracker, like a bigger Roy McFarland without the dirty sheep taint on his record.

Archived