Austin

Vice

I watched WWE's Monday Night War documentary last night. It really reminded me how white-hot and incredible Austin was at his peak. Yes, he's been oversaturated in the last few years with his many guest appearances, but there's no doubt that (even a short) full capacity feud now would still be immense. I thought his mini match demo after last year's Wrestlemania was a wonderful sight:

If Austin is indeed physically up to it, could deliver and wanted to do one more match, as he occasionally hints at in interviews, who would you put him against? Austin vs. Cena, to me, sounds a lot better than Rock vs. Cena, even as far as mic work goes because Austin and Cena are more different in that respect. Cena doesn't need the rub, especially since he's most likely going over The Rock at Mania, but it's a dream match for sure.

Austin vs. Punk could be awesome too. But there's obviously a lot of bad booking Punk would have to recover from. And, although it is logical and practically writes itself, I fear it'd be too much of a step back for Punk's character, going down the 'straight edge vs. beer-swiller' route.

• Paid Members

Austin vs Hogan would have been ace. I was convinced they were going to do it that year when Hogan called him out on Raw (2006?)Now? I don't know, I'd be lying if I said I'm frothing at the mouth at the thought of a return, it'd do huge business though, for sure. Put him against Cena or Orton.

They won't do Austin/Brock as if they both come in it will be for a few TV appearances leading up to Wrestlemania next year, so they are more likely to do one or both of them vs someone full time.They've already planted seeds for Austin/Punk.Taker is Brock's most likely Wrestlemania opponent.

• Paid Members

They've planted seeds for Austin and Brock, you mean. Austin and Punk (when he was a heel) had less words on screen than Santino and Austin have had. Also, who actually remembers it? Brock and Austin was the main promotional tool behind the new WWE 12 game. Austin also did a worked tweet where he was "shocked by the things Brock said in his book" or something. Alos, Austin walked out on a match years ago. Austin vs Brock would do huge business and have enough previous history and huge star power to warrent such a bout. Punk vs Austin wont happen for the same reason they didnt do Rock vs Flair on a PPV. Because the interest wouldnt be there on a grand scale.If Austin comes back, he isnt giving away his return to a CM Punk or a Dolph Ziggler or The Miz or someone who the people who turned wrestling off wont know or care about. You want Austin to bring back the old fans, like the Rock will do this year when they triple their usual PPV audience. Thats why they never have done The Miz and R-Truth vs Cena and Rock. Nobody give a fuck about the other team.And if Brock does come back next year, will Undertaker be still around? This year might be his swan song.

If they want Austin to look good and help make a current roster member a major star, it has to be Orton. Orton has all the talent to be at Cena's star level, he just hasn't been given that consistant push. Orton has everything it takes to make Austin look good in the ring, and could be made with a Wrestlemania victory, or even a competitive loss.Physically, Austin could do the match, he's bumped enough over the years and rolled with the TE kids (and Miz), he definitely has the marquee match in the tank. It's gotta be either WM29 or 30 though, ol' Steve ain't getting any younger.

Austin/Punk have had several vignettes on TV, around the time Austin was on a few times with the Tough Enough stuff. Also back and forth on Twitter. Natural character conflict straight edge vs beer drinker. Granted Brock vs Austin would be a big match but who gets anything from it. Both would be back for a few TV's and gone after Wrestlemania. Having them in seperate matches (Austin/Punk, Brock/Taker) would do the same amount of buys as Austin/Brock IMO.

• Paid Members

Austin had a few potential big money bouts on the cards over the years. They should have done Austin vs Hogan in 2006. They should have done Orton vs Austin in 2009. Even if they went 8 minutes and did fuck all, They should have had Austin vs Goldberg sometime in 2004. I mean, Austin was negotiating with Hustle to get him and Goldberg to wrestle when he walked out on them again. If he was willing to do it in 2004, he could have surely wrestled Goldberg at WrestleMania 20.

Natural character conflict straight edge vs beer drinker.

CM Punk hasnt done the straight edge gimmick in about 18 months. Turning him heel would be far worse. At least the audience in the arenas are buying his stuff. Turning him and taking his ability to sell merch would be a bad idea for me.

Granted Brock vs Austin would be a big match but who gets anything from it.

Well ... the fans? The hundreds of thousands/million that would pay to see it? What does CM Punk get out of Austin coming in and beating him, then leaving? If Brock loses to Austin, that isnt chopping the legs off a regular.

Another point on Austin vs. Brock. 8 years since Brock wrestled, 9 since Austin has. That's a lot of ring rust to shake, I think it wouldn't do justice to Austin's big return match.

People pay to see two stars do battle. Austin and Brock being in the ring together is enough. Also its only 5 years since Brock wrestled. And they'd rehearse the match for a good 2 months before the match itself. There's no such thing as ring rust in 2012, when you are stars of that size.

Another point on Austin vs. Brock. 8 years since Brock wrestled, 9 since Austin has. That's a lot of ring rust to shake, I think it wouldn't do justice to Austin's big return match.

People pay to see two stars do battle. Austin and Brock being in the ring together is enough. Also its only 5 years since Brock wrestled.
I forgot about New Japan, fair play.As much as I'd love to see Brock back, I'm also really worried for his health. He really looked like a shell of himself following the diverticulitis, can his body handle bumping around the ring for Austin?

Im sure wrestling one more match would be nothing compared to an MMA match, i think Brock would be fine. I'd prefer to see him vs Austin as the last time Brock was in a ring was being Stunnered at the end of his mania match (i think). Would be so awesome if Heyman came back with him.

He went out with a nice match in 2003 with Rocky which to me was the best match they had so he ended his career at a nice run. Now I'd like to see him have another match but the best person would be Orton. Punk isn't really doing great at the moment and his character may suffer in the long term because of this, especially with the ratings slightly down I bet management aren't too pleased. Lesnar/Austin is way too ambitious and seen as Cena got Rocky it'd be fair if Orton got Austin.Also It'd be really fresh to see Austin take this option as he has overdone the whole special referee or special guest for far too long.

Archived