Camera recommendations?

John Matrix

• Paid Members

All,

Since im no longer involved with sports, i'm interested in trying my hand at photography to keep busy and am looking at cheap and cheerful cameras to get started with without blowing a fortune on something i may have no natural aptitude for.

Unfortunately, as a complete novice, the technology and terminology is completely foreign to me. My only knowledge of cameras is that 8mp on a phone is pretty good.

I like working in photoshop with images, so looking for something where preferably the noise of the image is kept to a minimum when working at size, but apart from that, the biggest stumbling block to getting started is not even knowing what it is i'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend a camera in the

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All,

Since im no longer involved with sports, i'm interested in trying my hand at photography to keep busy and am looking at cheap and cheerful cameras to get started with without blowing a fortune on something i may have no natural aptitude for.

Unfortunately, as a complete novice, the technology and terminology is completely foreign to me. My only knowledge of cameras is that 8mp on a phone is pretty good.

I like working in photoshop with images, so looking for something where preferably the noise of the image is kept to a minimum when working at size, but apart from that, the biggest stumbling block to getting started is not even knowing what it is i'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend a camera in the

• Paid Members

Christmas is coming, so now is the time for SLR bargains as the people with more money than sense dump the last generation so that they can buy the newer models.

The Nikon D40/D40x/D60 generation of cameras have dropped massively in value this year and can often be picked up for under

I always shoot canon. I started with digital (400D) so pretty basic, and upgraded recently to a 450D. I have a tight budget but the change was worth it.

It was too easy for me to use auto settings so in the interim i switched to a canon 35mm film camera (3000 i believe) So that i'd have to actually time time to do the boring stuff like take lighting levels etc. You definitely pay more attention when you have to remember that every picture costs you to develop.

All 3 of my cameras - the two SLRs and the 35mm were purchased on Ebay, 2nd hand from other photographers and do the job required of them.

Unfortunately i just sold my 400D on ebay as part of a bundle - loads of batteries, memory cards a lens, reflector etc etc.

Anyways - my preference is always for Canon. I've tried Nikon but i dont like it. Both my Canon SLRs were 10mp.

• Paid Members

I use a Canon 7D for stills and for video work. I actually shoot TV commercials on the 7D in full HD - it's amazing- the shallow depth of field is incredible.

Shot these for Smyths Toys - all done on the 7D:

http://vimeo.com/16958769

http://vimeo.com/17289498

http://vimeo.com/20646777

http://vimeo.com/16960040

I use a Canon 7D for stills and for video work. I actually shoot TV commercials on the 7D in full HD - it's amazing- the shallow depth of field is incredible.

Shot these for Smyths Toys - all done on the 7D:

http://vimeo.com/16958769

http://vimeo.com/17289498

http://vimeo.com/20646777

http://vimeo.com/16960040

The 7D is lovely. We used a 550D and a 7D for both of our films for my Uni course last year. We will probably be doing so for our final degree film too. Brilliant cameras.

The 7D is lovely. We used a 550D and a 7D for both of our films for my Uni course last year. We will probably be doing so for our final degree film too. Brilliant cameras.

It depends on the kind of shoot, really. Great images from them but you have to be careful. They're really unsuitable for shooting documentary/mockumentary style because as soon as you zoom (at least with all the lenses I've used), the exposure goes fucking haywire. Makes me long for the Z1 sometimes, but if you're not zooming and fucking about and reframing within a shot as I am wont to do, the quality of the picture you get with the 550 and 7D is incredible. They're utterly irrelevant to this discussion, mind, as even the 550 is still about

• Paid Members

It depends on the kind of shoot, really. Great images from them but you have to be careful. They're really unsuitable for shooting documentary/mockumentary style because as soon as you zoom (at least with all the lenses I've used), the exposure goes fucking haywire. Makes me long for the Z1 sometimes, but if you're not zooming and fucking about and reframing within a shot as I am wont to do, the quality of the picture you get with the 550 and 7D is incredible. They're utterly irrelevant to this discussion, mind, as even the 550 is still about

Sazon, the MAIN benefit from your top pic compared to bottom pic, will be the Zoom

A little camera will only have 3/5 times soon compared to 18-30x zoom of that larger unit. The more you pay the quicker they get.

but as everyone else has said, sensor size is the key element.

Compact cameras, whether they have 20times zoom or 3 times zoom will have the samish size sensor.

An SLR will be bigger giving you better quality.

You can get a used D40 nikon or Canon 400D for around the 199 mark.

You need to nest in lenses to get the most out of them, and they definitely won't be point and squirt like a compact.

If you not interested in using manual modes, id say stick to a GOOD bridge or compact.

Panasonics are always a good shout.

TZ18 or TZ20 for a pocket job, or an FZ range camera if you want something meatier.

As there seem to be a fair few knowledgeable types in here, I'd like to pose acouple of q's. I'm in the market for a new camera myself, would like to take it up as a hobby too. Always had decentish compact cameras in the past, but want to have the freedom of manual controls to really explore photography as a hobby. At first I was set on a full DSLR, but I'm reading more about 'compact system' type cameras (is this what 'bridge' type means?), which still have interchangeable lenses and manual controls, but closer in size and easier to use than SLRs.. I like the idea of these as I'll be wanting to keep the camera on me so something small and handy will be good, plus I'll be wanting to take it to the sort of events where smaller cameras are allowed but full professional looking setups are frowned upon. I guess the main question is would one of these be a good starting point for a hobby photographer or should I forget about it and get an SLR?

Edit: I'm thinking about cameras like the new nikon v and j1 types, essentially look like a compact but with interchangeable lenses.

As there seem to be a fair few knowledgeable types in here, I'd like to pose acouple of q's. I'm in the market for a new camera myself, would like to take it up as a hobby too. Always had decentish compact cameras in the past, but want to have the freedom of manual controls to really explore photography as a hobby. At first I was set on a full DSLR, but I'm reading more about 'compact system' type cameras (is this what 'bridge' type means?), which still have interchangeable lenses and manual controls, but closer in size and easier to use than SLRs.. I like the idea of these as I'll be wanting to keep the camera on me so something small and handy will be good, plus I'll be wanting to take it to the sort of events where smaller cameras are allowed but full professional looking setups are frowned upon. I guess the main question is would one of these be a good starting point for a hobby photographer or should I forget about it and get an SLR?

Edit: I'm thinking about cameras like the new nikon v and j1 types, essentially look like a compact but with interchangeable lenses.

A bridge camera is a point and shoot , with a few manual functions and looks like an slr.

They were around before the compact system cameras, which really, should be called the New Bridge.

If your doing it as a hobby, the CSC are a good range. Better depth than a compact, and a nice set of lenses. Easy to pick up and get started, but enough depth that if you want to learn you can.... HOWEVER.

The lens range is low, and to get like for like lenses will cost you a little bit more on the whole.

It all comes down to what you want to take snaps of.

Theres years and years worth of used canon and nikon lenses, pick up a macro lens for 150 instead of the 499 on a CSC, you won't find those bargains with a compact system camera.

The Sony Nex cameras have been the only ones in my eye to keep the quality of an SLR (due to them having the same size sensor) but they are a pain in the arse to use, and theres only a small range of lenses available.

If your looking to go full manual. get an SLR and put up with the size, if not you will always be one step behind the quality others can get.

Think about the kind of photos you want to take though... this is somewhat decided by the lens. No point buying a bunch of kit and finding out the lens you need to get the type of shot you want is unavailable!

Archived