Filesharing between Mac and Windows

King Pitcos

There's some work I've been putting off, and I have to do it by tomorrow really. I've been putting it off because it's a ballache. The problem is I've got about 100GB of footage on a Windows XP netbook and 400GB on an external hard drive formatted for Macs. I need to get the netbook footage on the external drive. But of course, the netbook doesn't recognise that drive beacuse it's formatted for Macs. So the standard process for me would be copying the files onto an NTFS/FAT32 external drive, then connecting that to the Mac and copying them over onto the Mac external drive. But the only NTFS/FAT32 drives I've got haven't got 100GB of space free on them. So, short of transferring 20GB at a time or something, how do I get the netbook files onto the Mac external drive? Is there an easy way to do it over wireless (or if need be, ethernet) on my home network?

I'm using OS X 10.6.7, if that makes a difference.

First of all, do you not have a Mac? Because if you do, you just need to network the Mac and PC together with a crossover cable, then you should be able to see the Mac drive, if it's plugged into the Mac, over a standard network.

If you can't do that, then there IS one solution I know of, but would also require a Mac.

I had a similar issue, when I was building my Mac for the studio - I had a drive with 400Gb of audio data on that was in the MacPartition format, but because Pro Tools needed a NTFS drive to read/write to, this was a problem.

I found a piece of software called iPartition.

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php

This allows you to completely change the underlying drive/partition type without affecting the data. It takes a LONG time to do so (overnight basically) but worked for me.

First of all, do you not have a Mac? Because if you do, you just need to network the Mac and PC together with a crossover cable, then you should be able to see the Mac drive, if it's plugged into the Mac, over a standard network.

Run a cable straight from the Mac to the PC? Or both into the router? They're both on the same network now, but they can't communicate with each other. Is there not some sort of tedious process where I have to set up folders for sharing and type in network addresses of each computer and the like?

• Paid Members

Setup a share on the XP device with the data you want to copy from.

Put both the mac and PC in the same workgroup.

On the mac, right click on finder, choose connect to server, type SMB://WINDOWSPC NAME or IP Address. It should authenticate you, enter windows credentials and you should be able to see the files on XP, copy them to the external drive you have plugged into the Mac.

Well, if they're both plugged into the same router then it should be even easier. I have a PC and a Mac here, and swop files between them all the time; the Mac sees a shared folder on the PC as another network drive. PCs are a bit shitter at this than Macs but it's still possible.

In the Mac's Sharing setup, make sure file sharing is turned on, and click the Options button, then make sure "Share files using SMB" is on and one of your Mac's accounts is also ticked.

Now go back to your PC and in an explorer window look at your network and you should see a device named the same as your Mac. Inside that you'll see any folders that are "Shared" on your Mac (initially probably only each account's public folder). I haven't tried it, but if you "share" the external drive, then you should be able to see that from the PC also....

EDIT: Si, I think he's trying to get files FROM the Mac to the PC. PCs aren't as good at picking up non-PC network devices as Macs are about finding non-Mac ones...

Setup a share on the XP device with the data you want to copy from.

Put both the mac and PC in the same workgroup.

On the mac, right click on finder, choose connect to server, type SMB://WINDOWSPC NAME or IP Address. It should authenticate you, enter windows credentials and you should be able to see the files on XP, copy them to the external drive you have plugged into the Mac.

Cheers Si, that was relatively painless! Now I just have to hope nothing fucks up during the transfer. I should've connected the Mac by cable before I started the transfer, really.

Edit: Thanks, Loki. I'm only needing to see the PC files from the Mac at the moment, but at some point I'm sure I'll have to transfer files the other way as well.

Rats, got the wrong end of the stick there PITCOS.

Yeah, outside of the Mac's boot drive, there's not really much point in having drives formatted in their proprietary form. I've got a home server, standard PC formatting, and keep most of my shit on there and the Macs are fine with it, even to the extent of doing TimeMachine backup over wireless onto it.

I don't think I've got anything that allows formatting in an NTFS 3G format, how do I go about doing that? The Mac offers me formatting stuff in HFS (which Windows won't even spit on) and FAT (which works for both but has a 4GB file size limit). Windows offers me NTFS (which the Mac will read but not write to) or FAT.

Archived