UKFF FIFA 12 PS3 League

TUFCfan

Lille, Dortmund, PSG and Sevilla - Fiorentina wil be about tomorrow....any good times for you guys to play our fixtures? (Apart from PSG the other three are next weeks fixtures but seeing as I've got a free Sunday we may as well see if we can box em off.)

Anyone about?

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malaga 1 - 5 Valencia

Valencia exposed Malaga's defensive frailties as they romped to a convincing victory over their fellow Spaniards. Valencia opened the scoring early after Malaga lost possession soon after kickoff and the ball was squared to Tino Costa on the edge of the box, whose powerful shot was out of the reach of Willy Caballero in the Malaga goal. Valencia could have been two up soon after when Roberto Soldado's one-on-one effort was saved by Caballero. Pablo Hernandez had another decent chance to put Valencia two up, but his shot was saved by the impressive Caballero. Malaga took some control of the game midway through the first half and could/should have scored an equaliser and taken the lead. Julio Baptista had Malaga's first decent effort when his turn and shot on the edge of the box was well saved by Diego Alves. Soon after came Malaga's best two chances of the game up to that point. Some neat passing created an opening for Diego Buonanotte who curled his shot wide when through on goal. Malaga's top scorer Santi Cazorla wasted Malaga's second best chance to score as he cut into the box from the wing and lost his man, but panicked and blasted a shot straight at Diego Alves when a finesse shot would have surely found the corner of the net. Not for the first time this season Malaga were made to pay for their missed chances as Valencia countered after the Santi Cazorla chance and Roberto Soldado scored Valencia's second.

Valencia put the game beyond doubt in the first twenty minutes or so of the second half. Firstly, a shot from the edge of the box was well saved by Willy Cabellero, but the ball fell to Pablo Piatti whose shot was again saved by Cabellero but the ball fell back to Piatti who made no mistake at the second time of asking and scored from close range. Just over ten minutes later Roberto Soldado was put through on goal for Valencia's fourth. For the second game in a row Malaga decided to call on Ruud Van Nistelrooy to try and restore some pride and once again he delivered. In the 78th minute Buonanotte's floated cross found Van Nistelrooy in the centre of the box between the penalty spot and the edge of the area, and the Dutchman scored with a fantastic overhead kick into the corner of the net. It was a goal worthy of winning any game, it was just a shame that it was actually just a consolation goal for a team already four down. Malaga were soon four goals behind again when Soldado took advantage of some poor defending to waltz through the Malaga defence and scored with a neat finish to complete his hat-trick.

Overall a good game, Malaga weren't always as bad as the scoreline suggests but Valencia were much the better side. Van Nistelrooy may earn a recall to the starting XI after two goals in two games from the bench, including an super goal tonight, and his link up play with the two wingers created a couple of decent chances. At the moment though I think I'm suffering from 'Stunstone Syndrome', i.e. for the most part I can't wait to get rid of Malaga and be another team.

Malaga goal: Van Nistelrooy (78')

Valencia goals: T. Costa (3'), Soldado (43', 67', 83'), Piatti (54')

Highlights:

Van Nistelrooy's overhead kick goal

Lille, Dortmund, PSG and Sevilla - Fiorentina wil be about tomorrow....any good times for you guys to play our fixtures? (Apart from PSG the other three are next weeks fixtures but seeing as I've got a free Sunday we may as well see if we can box em off.)

Anyone about?
Will be about in an hour if you are still up?

Week 10 (Monday 12th December -> Sunday 18th December)

Atletico Madrid v Napoli

Borussia Dortmund v Lyon

CSKA v Villarreal

Lazio v Benfica

Lille v Roma

PSG v Porto

Sevilla v Fiorentina

Sporting v Malaga

Valencia v Bayer Leverkusen

Zenit v Marseille

Bayer Leverkusen v Sevilla

Benfica v Zenit

Fiorentina v Borussia Dortmund

Lyon v Lille

Malaga v Valencia

Marseille v CSKA

Napoli v Lazio

Porto v Sporting

Roma v Juventus

Villarreal v PSG

Borussia Dortmund v Bayer Leverkusen

CSKA v Benfica

Juventus v Lyon

Lazio v Atletico Madrid

Lille v Fiorentina

PSG v Marseille

Sevilla v Malaga

Sporting v Villarreal

Valencia v Porto

Zenit v Napoli

Week 9 remainders:

Bayer Leverkusen v CSKA

Fiorentina v PSG

Juventus v Sevilla

Lille v Borussia Dortmund

Malaga v Zenit

Porto v Lazio

Villarreal v Atletico Madrid

Bayer Leverkusen v Sporting

Benfica v Atletico Madrid

Juventus v Lille

Lyon v Sevilla

Malaga v PSG

Marseille v Lazio

Porto v CSKA

Villarreal v Zenit

Week 8 remainders (last week for these):

Atletico Madrid v Porto

Benfica v Marseille

Napoli v Villarreal

PSG v Lyon

Sevilla v Lille

CSKA v Malaga

Lazio v Villarreal

Napoli v Benfica

PSG v Bayer Leverkusen

Notes:

The updated table is up and is on the first post.

As we enter the last set of fixtures, Marseille are still top but on goal difference over Valencia, who have now completed all of their games. Roma drop to third but can still finish above Valencia, and although they can also finish above Marseille it does seem unlikely. PSG remain fourth and the seemingly inactive Benfica remain fifth. The bottom two stay the same and Sporting have continued their decent end of season run by climbing further away from some of the teams near the bottom.

There are three sets of games in this final week due to the end of next week being Christmas, so I wanted to keep it away from then to avoid people having to play a scheduled round of fixtures on Christmas week. Because of the extra fixtures I've decided just to be strict on the three week rule to prevent major fixture pile up that was starting to happen. As far as a deadline for week ten fixtures to be played, I know it's a day early but midnight on 31st Dec/1st Jan seems like a good natural end point for this season. Hopefully we'll be finished before then.

The big match in this final week is the fixture between defending champion wmxxx's PSG and favourite for the current title Marseille. PSG will have to take Marseille's unbeaten record away from them to give themselves a great chance of retaining their title. Near the bottom of the table, Leverkusen face Sevilla in a battle to avoid last place, and Porto face former strugglers Sporting in their bid to get out of the bottom two.

Villarreal are now no longer part of the league. Anyone want to take them over? I'll check with Benfica to see if they're still around. Doesn't look likely though.

Archived