Tony "Banger" Walsh's 1985 Expose?

nfc90210

• Paid Members

How did Tony "Banger" Walsh's 1985 expose of the British wrestling as a work go down within the industry at the time? Did it have any effect on business?

There are scans of the issue of The Sun, which the story ran in, on Banger's website.

http://www.bangerwalsh.co.uk/hold.html#

He said in that roundtable thing that he only did it because he was very angry at a certain promoter at that time, I think he meant Max Crabtree, he emphasized that he didn't do it to hurt the wrestling business or anything, still, it was a very unpopular decision, although Rocco did vehemently defend him on Sky Sports.

What was the name of that program? Looking for a download :p

"The Time of Our Lives" from Sky Sports.

I was around when the story broke, it was a big deal at the time although it was incorrect when stating that the plug was pulled on TV soon after, as i recall it hung on for a few more years.

This was not the first time anything like this happened, but to say it was unpopular within the industry was a massive understatement. Rocco appeared on Breakfast TV to defend wrestling against Miriam Stoppard, Of all people.

Walsh always blames the Crabtree"s greed & lack of sympathy towards his sisters death as the reason he exposed the business. He was paid a decent chunk of money by The Sun, Something he never seems to mention :rolleyes: .

Walsh is quite a character & does seem a bit obsessed with the Celebrity side of the entertainment industry? Although i do believe that if he could, He would turn back the clock & keep his mouth shut. Then again, He no longer needs the money.

This artical, Along with a few more proved that promoters & workers alike were over protective of the industry. People believe what they want to & those like me who love wrestling knew all along & did not care.

• Paid Members
I was around when the story broke, it was a big deal at the time although it was incorrect when stating that the plug was pulled on TV soon after, as i recall it hung on for a few more years.

Was it not shortly after this that Joint Promotions lost its exclusive coverage on ITV, with footage being show from All Star and WWF as well?

This artical, Along with a few more proved that promoters & workers alike were over protective of the industry. People believe what they want to & those like me who love wrestling knew all along & did not care.

Were they really over protective though? I mean if you look at the industry over here now and see the lack of care so many take in protecting it maybe the old boys had the better attitude?

• Paid Members
Was it not shortly after this that Joint Promotions lost its exclusive coverage on ITV, with footage being show from All Star and WWF as well?

That was the start of 87, which was when the previous Joint-exclusive contract came up for renewal.

What JP wrestlers jumped to All-Star?

I'm unsure of the timing but over subsequent years the likes of Dave Finlay, Danny Collins, Marty Jones and Giant Haystacks were probably the main headliners who went on to work for Dixon.

There appeared to be less exclusivity when Joint Promotions started to decline anyway as all the above worked for Orig Williams and, i'm sure, other companies as years went on anyway.

Did the live shows attract smaller crowds right after than right before the exposure? That will be an indication of the exposure's impact but I do not believe attendance figures from this period are available.

What was exposed that was not already known to most people? Most people knew that wrestling was fixed, or didn't they?

@Tommy: I would believe they worked for either office (Dixon or Crabtree), not both. At least the big names.

He was paid a decent chunk of money by The Sun, Something he never seems to mention rolleyes.gif .

So basically, Tony Walsh chose an option where he could get a big pay-off instead of many lousy pay-offs from Crabtree.

A couple of related questions:

-Did Tony Walsh retire from the ring at the time of the exposure (or had he already retired), or did promoters blacklist him?

-How long did Max Crabtree continue promoting?

Were they really over protective though? I mean if you look at the industry over here now and see the lack of care so many take in protecting it maybe the old boys had the better attitude?

It was quite a while before they lost the exclusive rights & then a good while longer before they binned British Wrestling all together.

What i meant by "Over protective" was that the beakdown of Kayfabe did not effect the popularity of the industry they defended? Removing it from TV was the true killer blow. I do understand where you are coming from though, I still protect wrestling, but only if i feel it would hinder someones enjoyment if i were indiscreet with certain information?

What JP wrestlers jumped to All-Star? Was there a massive exodus once Dixon got TV or had many left even before that?

Did any wrestlers work dates for both offices?

Wrestlers were jumping before & during Dixon"s TV deal. Almost all the top names worked for both promotions after the TV was dropped. St. Clair & Rocco stuck with AS, Big Daddy stayed with his brother ( Think he did one Reslo TV?) But on the whole the workers took any bookings they could as the promoters had lost the leverage that TV brought.

Archived