'Insane Icon' Sting & 'crazy' Ric Flair

Arthur B. Funky

It's been a case of me watching more iMPACT than WWE TV lately, & I have to say I'm loving 'Insane Icon' Sting & equally the all-new 'crazy' Ric Flair. The promos, the banter, the whole schtick. It's making me laugh out loud in parts. Maybe it's because I know deep down that Flair *is* in fact a crazy legend & is only now getting to release the pent up tomfoolery he's been hiding ... maybe it's because Sting is quite a serious Christian lay-preacher outside of the ring, & has this TNA character to vent with after a hard day bashing the bible (no offence to anyone intended, BTW) ... I dunno?!

Anyhoo, the Sting/Flair match is going to happen, which will lead to Sting/Hogan, of course, but will Sting/Flair end up being teamed as crazy WCW legends & fade away eventually? Or do you think there are bigger, more substantial things down the road for this storyline?

Personally ... it's all about Hogan having 'one last match with Sting' & then 'one last match with Flair' & then 'one last match'. It could all be done & dusted by Christmas, or sooner if Hogan fucks up & injures himself (highly likely). Let's see ... but I'm going to continue to love Sting being all 'bat-shit crazy'.

I too really thought that Hogan was never going to be able to match again, but then he's of that old school mentality of "I'm tough as nails and can + will work through any injury..or age". Didn't he badmouth Edge during his retirement..yet I can't help imagine parallels between Edge's situation and Hogan's, except without the Dr saying "We won't clear you to wrestle ever again"

Its late 2011, and they are still pushing Flair vs Sting vs Hogan as exciting main event matches....it was old 10 years ago FFS!

*Pulls Cornette Face*

The sooner TNA dies, and someone with balls and decent vision for the future picks up the pieces the better.

But on the other hand, people like what they know ... people like the nostalgia ... there are some out there who still mark like hell for Hogan & Flair! Sting is still young enough to make it work, too.

If TNA dies, is ROH *really* ready to step in? No. Who else then? It's not Roland Alexander, Bonzo Bitch-tits from that Slammed! documentary ... all that's left is the globalist McMahon ... then the spirit of wrestling will truly die.

But on the other hand, people like what they know ... people like the nostalgia ... there are some out there who still mark like hell for Hogan & Flair! Sting is still young enough to make it work, too.

If TNA dies, is ROH *really* ready to step in? No. Who else then? It's not Roland Alexander, Bonzo Bitch-tits from that Slammed! documentary ... all that's left is the globalist McMahon ... then the spirit of wrestling will truly die.

Fucking rights. And, let's face it, this feud is a side attraction on Impact. It's a cool nostalgia trip that's a bit of fun for the older fans, while in the meantime they're putting real effort into pushing younger wrestlers like Bobby Roode, Crimson and Gunner and giving people who've been around forever (but can still work) like Bully Ray and Jeff Jarrett a new lease of life. For anyone who pays consistent attention to TNA and isn't just surfing the spoilers for things to make smarky comments about, it's nothing like the Attitude-era tribute show it was when Bischoff and Hogan first arrived and people like the nWo, RVD, the Nasty Boys and Val Venis were dominating the show. It now has a good mix of youth and experience, with one generally complementing the other.

It's like the WWE - the most entertaining thing there at the minute is the CM Punk storyline, but it's a damn sight more interesting with Triple H and Kevin Nash, who've been around for 15-20 years, involved than it would be with only someone like Ziggler or Miz for Punk to play off.

Gotta agree - Sting/Flair segments have been very entertaining and their match will be good fun too. As mentioned above - it's a side attraction on top of the younger guys they're pushing - and it's great fun.

As much as I am enjoying Sting and Flairs fresh slant on their characters, we first saw Sting vs Flair back in 88. It was also the main event on the last Ntro, and seen as a tired nostalgia trip back then.

TNA (and WWE in fact) dips too much into nostalgia, and each dip erodes the memory of their fine body of work back when they were younger.

They are veterans that would serve their industry much better by working with the younger talent to bring them on (which was why Flair originally worked with Sting in '88).

i do enjoy the vignettes , dont get me wrong. But I think the emphasis is skewed, and undermines the future of the company.

CM Punk vs HHH/Nash could either be the greatest thing in recent memory , if they continue to pull the trigger on Punk, or the worst kind of undermining, since the invasion angle...

• Moderators
It was also the main event on the last Ntro, and seen as a tired nostalgia trip back then.

I don't remember many, if any, people thinking that. I remember it being seen as a fitting way to close the book on Turner's WCW with the two people most synonymous with the company over the years going at it one last time, and a way to bring Nitro full circle as they wrestled on the very first episode. As I recall it was seen as the very best way and apt to finish off, not as a "tired nostalgia trip".

• Paid Members
CM Punk vs HHH/Nash could either be the greatest thing in recent memory , if they continue to pull the trigger on Punk, or the worst kind of undermining, since the invasion angle...

Undermining? Undermining who? If the buyrates and ratings arent coming in, then its a failed experiment. Was Punk replacing Alberto Del Rio as the top heel on Raw in June seen as "underming" Del Rio?

• Moderators
Yes, Flair was even starting to get past his prime by the time his feud with Sting started.

Not having that. He certainly wasn't past his prime feuding with Ricky Steamboat which occured about year after the Sting/Flair stuff started.

Not having that. He certainly wasn't past his prime feuding with Ricky Steamboat which occured about year after the Sting/Flair stuff started.

Fair enough, but his days of one hour draws were over. I think his best era for me were the Starrcade years with the likes of Harley Race and Dusty Rhodes, the early to mid 80s.

Archived