How do you collect ?

wrestlemaniacx

Hey guys,

This being a lazy day off from work and having nothing better to do i decided to start some random topic here :laugh:

i'm sure there's quite a bit of collectors on here, me being one myself, and i always find it intresting to see how others go about it. do you collect everything, or mostly figures, or mostly other stuff , or belts or..?

I have been going through phases, i started off collecting everything i could find related to wrestling and build up a massive collection, tons of moc figures and whatnot but over the years i sorta lost intrest in figures and sold them off, then started focusing on more specialty items, for example, i have a few wcw porcelain statues,a royal rumble ringside chair, a few wrestlemania plaques...more "fancy" stuff and not toys altho i don't want that to come off as disrespectfull, cause i admire anybody that builds a action figure collection.

Then i started getting into masks...i have always been a massive lucha libre fanand through my fandom i was able to get in contact with a few important people over in mexico including some mask makers and as i gained their trust/friendship i was able to buy quite a few ring worn/signed masks which i'm very proud of, when i look back at the few cheesy replica masks i used to have years ago i can't believe i ever thought they were nice looking....it's like comparing a toy belt to a real belt, there really is that much diffrence in quality.

Now, as proud as i am of the masks, they have cost me a fortune already and atm i still have suite a few offers for even more real masks and this got me thinking, maybe it would be wise to really focus on them and make them my specialty ? the thing is, i have a hard time letting go off my non mask collectables but financially i feel like i have to choose cause otherwise i'll keep spedning my money on diffrent things and never get a decent bankaccount build up for my future, i don't want to be that guy who's 40 or 50 and still only has a few hundred dollars cause i blew everything y'know.

i know there are folks who make replica belts their specialty and at one point i was contemplating going that route cause i am a big belt mark too but that hobby would be even more expensive than my masks.

then there are a lot of folks who are really into the figures, specialy the old hasbros and ljn's and stuff, i'm a member on wfigs.com and i've seen tons of massive collection on there, it's really fascinating to look at for sure.

so basiclly, do you think it would be wise to make 1 particular focus point, or do you rather have a bit of everything ?

if anyone cares to show his or hers collection, feel free to do so.

Twinn, well that's actually not too bad mate, i consider my wrestling dvd's to be the epicentre of everything anyway and honestly, i've been thinking a lot about just limiting myself down to dvd's and books about pro wrestling,i would have a lot more room in my home and save tons and tons of money which i would be able to use to go to more live events, specially expensive trips to something like wrestlemania, when i look back at how muh money i dumped into my collection i could've been to multiple ppv's....it's just that i never bothered to look at things that way because i enjoyed being a collector and displaying collectables, it becomes more than a hobby it becomes a way of life.

But if i had to choose,i'd hold onto my dvd's and books because at the end of the day, watching wrestling and reading about wrestling are the 2 most imporant aspects of the hobby to me, that's what got me into it in the first place and that's how i contineu to be into it...all the rest is basiclly just filler,seeing the guys do what they do is what matters so so dvd's above all :laugh:

I think wrestling masks are one of the coolest things you can collect as a wrestling fan, they look great on display and always get people talking when they see them.

The only downside is they are addictive, started collecting at the beginning of the year and already have 50 in the collection.

I mainly collect WWF/WWE DVDs. I seem to go through spells though and haven't really bought anything for the last few months. I'd say that I own 90% of events available from 1999 to 2010, my oldest being Summerslam 1999 and my most modern being Survivor Series 2009. Also got loads of personality and review DVDs as well.

Used to have a ton of videos but a lot of them got sold. Wish I never did though. I owned most events from 1995 to 2001 on video at one point, littered with a few older classics along with about 5 WCW videos and a couple of ECW ones.

I think wrestling masks are one of the coolest things you can collect as a wrestling fan, they look great on display and always get people talking when they see them.

The only downside is they are addictive, started collecting at the beginning of the year and already have 50 in the collection.

Where are you getting your masks from?

Dang captain, 50 masks already huh ? i've only got around 20 and already spedn a fortune on them, some have gone as much as 300-400 dollars cause as i said most of them are either worn,signed, or both and are genuine masks, no replicas.

are you also in touch with mask makers then, or did you mean 50 replicas but no real masks ? if so no offence mate i've seen some beautiful replicas out there but most are low quality, 20 dollar things,ebays full of those but i refuse to buy them, why bother when you can get the real deal even if they cost 10 times as much lol.

anyway,nice to see i'm not the only one into masks around here :laugh:

Dang captain, 50 masks already huh ? i've only got around 20 and already spedn a fortune on them, some have gone as much as 300-400 dollars cause as i said most of them are either worn,signed, or both and are genuine masks, no replicas.

are you also in touch with mask makers then, or did you mean 50 replicas but no real masks ? if so no offence mate i've seen some beautiful replicas out there but most are low quality, 20 dollar things,ebays full of those but i refuse to buy them, why bother when you can get the real deal even if they cost 10 times as much lol.

anyway,nice to see i'm not the only one into masks around here :laugh:

I'm sad to say most are replica's mate but like you said there is a big difference between the cheap ones and the higher quality ones.

I've bought some truly terrible ones of eBay and learnt my lesson, tend to purchase mine direct from Mexico now as the replicas are a lot better (if you know the right people) and the dollar against the pound isn't too shabby.

Just the videos and DVD's for me. It isin't the biggest collection ever and I mainly just concentrate on WWE stuff with the odd bit of ECW and WCW tapes. I have most of the PPV's from Wrestlemania I on and that's my bread and butter really. Couldn't give a sugar about anything else except discs that contain documentaries.

First purchase was the Capital Carnage/King Of The Ring 2000 double set for my 10th birthday in 2000. Last purchase was Bad Blood 2003. I need the source material with me to properly make a defence case for the wonderful Redneck Triathlon and decent Nash/Triple H brawl that seemed to center almost entirely around a toolbox.

I'd only be into the figure collecting if they were cheaper and if I trusted myself to keep them boxed. I hate to admit it at twenty years of age but if I had any they'd be out of their plastic doing moonsaults off the wardrobe courtesy of my fingers.

Archived