Golf Thread

Vipes

• Paid Members

With the Open coming up next week and the Scottish Open taking place at the moment I thought it would be a good idea to have somewhere for the golf talk on the board.

Westwood is looking good at the Scottish open at the moment tying for first with -7 after the first round and surprisingly Colin Montgomery is in contention on -5.

On another note I'm quite looking forward to the Open next week as I've got tickets for Thursday and Saturday, just hope the weather is OK.

• Paid Members
Doesn't old Colin need to finish in the top 5 or something to get in The Open, I bet that's motivating him.

Yeah, he played in an Open qualifier a few weeks back and finished dead last so he really needs to do well this weekend.

He's still a miserable bastard though. He bogeyed the last today, so didn't give any interviews. Donald is thereabouts too on 5 under (I think), he tends to do well in these types of events. Its the majors where he's shyte.

• Paid Members

After yesterdays washout the Scottish Open has been reduced to 54 holes with the last of yesterdays holes being played today before they go again for another 18.

Montgomery is hanging in there currently 1 shot off the lead on -10 while 6 players tie for the lead at -11, good stuff.

if anyone wants to watch it, it's currently on at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14065827.stm

Should be a good finish for the people trying to fight for an Open place next week.

Always surprised me on here given the diversity of the punters that the golf threads before, like this one a bit, have never really generated a whole lot of interest. Even the way Wimbledon gets the casual punters interested for a while and raises discussion on here i can never remember much, aside from the betting topic, having much golf chat.

Looking forward to the Open tomorrow even though it's one of my least favourite Open venue. It's a total lottery trying to pick a winner given the nature of the course and the impact weather has on the players probably more than any other event in the professional golfing calendar. I've put up a few outsiders on the betting topic who i've plumped for but it's long odds (Bo Van Pelt, Ryan Palmer & Brandt Snedeker) and more to keep it interesting than anything else. Think Kaymer might do some damage but all the usual suspects from Europe are too short odds to have a tickle.

• Paid Members

Well the Open is almost at hand and I'm getting ready for an early start tomorrow, which will be my first Open I've been to.

As people have said, it's going to be incredibly hard to pick a winner and with the wind looking likely to be blowing around 30-40MPH on Thursday and Friday it's going to a lottery out there.

Anyone who can keep par over the next couple of days should be in good nick going into the weekend, but it's anybody's to take.

Let's just hope it's 4 good days of golf and go from there.

• Paid Members
a lad i went to school with managed to make it to the open, he tees off at 15:38 tomorrow, Adam Wootton, he's shit hot locally but i know naff all about golf or how people qualify etc

You should stick a quid on him he's got odds of 1000/1 on PaddyPower :)

I've been trying to get into Golf for a while (purely because of playing lots of Tiger Woods on the Xbox) and for the last year or two I've really enjoyed watching the Masters and a few other Majors and the Big time feel of it makes it great viewing. I'm gonna try and watch as much of this as I can. I took a few suggestions from the betting thread and put a few small bets on to make it a little more interesting.

Looking forward to it.

Man I've got another 2 and a half hours or so till Rors, Fowler and Els tee off and it's already 9pm here!

Stayed up till 2am last night to watch the opening day so I'll try and hang in as long as possible again this evening. Tom Lewis still hanging in there despite dropping a few shots on the front 9. Clarkey playing well today. Depending on this afternoon's weather I can probably see a few birdies from Bjorn to maintain his position on the leaderboard. Fingers crossed the McIlroy group and Donald group shoot around 67/68.

Archived