Who is you're favourite fat guy?

DJ Kris

• Paid Members

Looking at the other thread about whether there's a place for fat wrestlers got me wondering who the UKFF's favourite it. If there's interest I may compile the nominee's into a second stage thread till we establish a top 10 or something. Se how it goes anyway.

I'm gonna put forward a couple of guys who have really stuck in my head for specific things they did.

BAM BAM BIGALOW

bam-bam-bigelow-dvd-comp-set-wwe-wwf-nwa-ecw-japan-634ef.jpg

Definately one of the top big men, when I think of him I tend to think back to when he had his "Main squeeze" Luna Vachon with him or back to King of the Ring '93 where he made the final. He was certainly a fairly agile man for his size.

BIG BOSS MAN

mountie_bbm.jpg

I wasn't really into his attitude era come back, but the earlier days I was definately a fan. His Jailhouse match with The Mountie sticks in my memory as does the fued with Nailz, which at the time I found to be gripping! What I couldn't get my head around in that fued though was why it was so hard to believe the Boss Man was a cunt to Nailz when only a couple of years earlier he was a cunt to everyone along with his friend Akeem!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

22.jpg

The Mastadon has to be in this. I was shit scared of him as a kid. He looked like a killer with his attire and mask and his theme music set it all off. The image of Vader smashing huge forearms into a trapped opponent's skull will always remain. Plus I was in awe when they showed the vignettes of him moonsaulting. That always impressed me as a kid.

It is indeed time.

• Paid Members

See, as I said in the other thread, I don't really count them as "fat guys" in the wrestling sense, along with Vader, simply because they didn't move like fatties - they were mobile, fast, behaved more like an unstoppable force as opposed to an immovable object.

My favourite fat monster of all time is:

EARTHQUAKE

earthquake.jpg

Fucking great fat man. Never had a five-star classic, but who cares? He was solid, never botched, always looked like a threat, made a dropkick look like a big deal, and, more importantly, had some good stories - he had people believing that he'd really put Hogan out (yes, a lot of that was Hogan as well, but 'Quake held up his side of things easily).

Here's a rare pic of him when he was a bit younger, doing sumo:

sumotori.png

See, as I said in the other thread, I don't really count them as "fat guys" in the wrestling sense, along with Vader, simply because they didn't move like fatties - they were mobile, fast, behaved more like an unstoppable force as opposed to an immovable object.

EARTHQUAKE

earthquake.jpg

Mental to think he was still in his 20s there.

• Paid Members

ef2c096654a93d4d.jpg

Maxx Payne before WWE messed his character up with Man Mountain Rock. THe Payne Killer was one of the simplest but most effective finishers. His tandem with Mick Foley was one of the highlights of WCW pre nWo. The match at SPring Stampede vs. The Nasty Boys was excellent for it's time.

tumblr_lel3nc3Hgq1qzcnrn.jpg

Matt Hardy.

Hardy, who according to the all-knowing internet is a fat-assed fuck, has always been my favourite. You can't much argue with most of the facts either: Half of one of the most popular and successful tag teams in the history of our great sport; Former ECW World Heavyweight Champion; former World tag, WWE tag, WCW tag, Harcore, European and United States Champion; possibly (despite his size) the most entertaining Cruiserweight champion of his time; helped innovate tables matches and ladder matches; the best top-rope legdrop in the business; and the main man in one of the top WWE storylines in the last decade, featuring his firing and one-man invasion of WWE. The fans loved him and demanded him and that is something that can't be denied.

A top big man.

• Paid Members

EARTHQUAKE

earthquake.jpg

Fucking great fat man. Never had a five-star classic, but who cares? He was solid, never botched, always looked like a threat, made a dropkick look like a big deal, and, more importantly, had some good stories - he had people believing that he'd really put Hogan out (yes, a lot of that was Hogan as well, but 'Quake held up his side of things easily).

Here's a rare pic of him when he was a bit younger, doing sumo:

sumotori.png

I agree.

Any chance to post this Dark Match from 2001 is greatly appreciated!

All the best ones have already been taken.

Yoko,

Vader,

Bigelow,

Tenta,

Although I never enjoyed his matches that much, I think honourable mention goes to Abby the Butcher, purely for contributing to the rise of the violent blood soaked weapon matches that I am oh so fond of.

If we

king%20mabel_53775.jpg

It can only be one. In every guise as well, Mabel, King Mabel, Viscera, Big Daddy V (perhaps discounting the awaful phase in the pyjamas). Can't believe how many times WWF/E dropped the ball with him.

Every move he hit looked like it could kill you & he wasn't afraid of taking it to the high rent district + his spin wheel kick is one of the most beautiful moves in the sport.

MOM should have been a killer heel tandem instead of the rapping goofs. Once they went heel it turned up a notch though.

People point to KOTR 95 being a low point but Mabel was the obvious winner. Did anyone really believe that skinny streak of piss Shawn Michaels could win the thing?

What they did wrong was the booking. Mabel should have gone over Taker clean as a whistle in the First Round & then demolished HBK in a glorified squash in the Final before cashing in his title shot in an impromptu match with Diesel and going over in about 7 seconds.

He was criminally pushed down the card, despite nearly ending the career of Taker on RAW - he should have been pushed to the moon.

When he came back in the summer of 98 for the match with Shamrock they had the perfect way to build a massive summer-long storyline out of it. He should have taken Shamrock out then gone through Owen & HHH, winning Euro & IC gold along the way before a SummerSlam showdown with Austin where he wins his 2nd WWF title in NYC.

Being stripped of the belt shortly after because there's no one on the roster who can beat him, he returns at the Rumble to begin a feud with Taker over the Ministry, ending the streak at Mania, putting UT out like he'd done countless times before and being declared the one, true Phenom before squashing Austin for his 3rd WWF Title.

They also had countless chances to push Big Daddy V. In fact, the more I think about the logical conclusion to MITB is for him to do a run-in on one of the ladder matches, squash everyone, claim the briefcase & then cash it at the end of the night to reclaim his rightful place as champion before devouring the former champion in the first sacrificial act of cannibalism on WWE PPV.

This is also not to mention that he's the only guy in WWF history to slam Yokozuna (not hiptoss him like Luger and Ahmed) and also he's had a movie career that outstrips Rock and Hogan's combined.

• Paid Members

The Big Boss Man at the almost 400 mark was the best big man. His match with Hogan in 1989 in the cage was Hogan's best ever match, for me. The bump he takes off the top of the cage is up there with any stunt the Hardy Boyz ever tried. Its basically a somersault off the top of the cage on a ring 10 times harder than what it is today. Its a full on solid canvas. He was a bad, bad man. Pure rotten heel. They dont get more intimidating that the former prison guard from Cobb County, Georgia. He just got what a big man should be. In the Survivor Series main event in 88, he gets the tag and Hogan gets the hot tag and Hogan is smacking him about and Boss Man is selling big, but not going down. He's bouncing all over the place. He was just brilliant. If it wasnt the era of the babyface, Boss Man could have held that belt and went around the country working on top with it. I loved the guy.

• Paid Members
Andre The Giant

Bastion Booger

Mantaur

The Big Show

Yokozuna

These are some the best fat guys ever.

Andre wasn't a "fat guy", he was a giant, same with Big Show. Mantaur was shite. Booger was fun, but he was hardly great.

I appreciate carbomb's take on things, looking at the big, immovable types rather than the Monsters, but frankly I can't look past Bossman, Bam Bam then Vader, in that order as the best Big Men.

I see them as the guys who raised the bar for big dudes. I understand it's a different type of worker to a Bundy/Earthquake type, but honestly I'd rather watch a Bam Bam or Vader match over anything the Bundys of this world have ever done.

Vader was all about using his mass, anyway. Half of his offense was about just running guys down with his bulk, avalanches in the corner or splashes from the second rope.

Archived