Style of film poster/DVD/book cover

King Pitcos

I'm after some examples of a certain kind of artwork I've seen on either posters, DVD covers or book covers for old films. I find it pretty hard to describe and can't think of where I've actually seen it -- I want to say on DVDs of Hitchcock films in a boxset, but Google's brought me no joy, so it might have been on old foreign films.

It's essentially a still from the film done in one colour plus black, and has what strikes me as a bit of a dot matrix effect on it.

Any ideas? Failing that, any simplistic film poster designs you like?

They are very cool looking. Done a little bit of searching and found out the Psycho cover was made for a boxset called the 'Hitchcock Collection' (bit of a clue on the cover lol) released by Universal over here. Heres a page about the boxset with a gallery of the other covers in the set. If you don't mind me asking, how comes your looking for these? :sneaky:

• Paid Members
Thanks for that link! I knew I'd seen a fair few of this style of cover before. I'm looking for them because I'm going to have a go at imitating the style.

If you want to try that style its very easy to do on Photoshop, just desaturate the image, turn the contrast up and use the effect filter 'Stamp' they just replace the white with whatever colour you want. I used to use it a lot for title sequences

• Paid Members
Thanks for that link! I knew I'd seen a fair few of this style of cover before. I'm looking for them because I'm going to have a go at imitating the style.

If you want to try that style its very easy to do on Photoshop, just desaturate the image, turn the contrast up and use the effect filter 'Stamp' they just replace the white with whatever colour you want. I used to use it a lot for title sequences

Or if you want the "dot matrix" effect, just increase the contrast and then hit it with the "halftone" filter, set to black and whatever you want the other colour to be.

Archived