Next number 1 babyface

Checkmate

I don't think Brock would have been the bigger star in WWE if he stayed on to be honest. I don't think he was ever able to cut a promo, or connect with the fans like Batista did. I don't think many at all have connected like Batista over the past decade. It's rare you see a shitload of the crowd crying because someone's vacating the title.

It was also very rare to see a promo like this one before No Way Out 2004 and the heat he got doing it. Batista while a very good heel never did anything I enjoyed like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDmdf46JZZ0

It took Brock under two years to reach this level of cutting a promo. I cant say wheather or not Brock would have become as beloved a face as Batista at certain points (there was the odd occasion that both got booes as a face or a heel was cheered loudly against them) but from connecting on a heel level and getting heat, Brock was a little bit better than Batista at that in my opinion, but both were exceptional as heels.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always found Brock to be far, far more entertaining in all ways than Batista.

They did a genuinely amazing job in the build-up to the Wrestlemania where he faced and defeated Trips, but other than that, I can't really say I've ever enjoyed him. That one program was superb and completely established Batista as a total badass and a nice bloke, really getting his character over with the fans (me included, at the time). But after that, without the shit-hot writing, i just found him to be a total bore. Both his matches and his promos were completely dull. He improved ten-fold during his brief heel run at the end, but that was too late to pull me back in.

Lesnar on the other hand was shit-hot from the moment he debuted and (for me) stayed that way throughout his tenure as he tore through the Hardys, RVD, Hogan, Taker, Rock etc... I found his in-ring action to be far more diverse and exciting than Batista, and while his mic-skills were untested for ages, it was completely irrelevant as he had the best mouthpiece in wrestling talking for him.

I was genuinely pissed off when Brock left. I was quite chuffed when Big Dave left.

Dave clearly had the longer run with the bigger impact, but I found Lesnar to be a much more entertaining pro wrestler.

• Paid Members
He left our great sport too early to be remembered as much more than an extraordinary flash in the pan.

Capitalise it, for fuck's sake. You want the UKFF to get sued again?

In retrospect he could have done 2 or 3 more years and STILL got into UFC at about the same time he did.

I see what you mean, though I think there are other factors to consider - I think the schedule (which is what he quit over, IIRC) would have taken too much of a toll on him over that length of time to make him the out-and-out threat he was in UFC. Plus, the sheer impact of him leaving when he hadn't even hit his full peak yet meant that a load of fans jumped at the chance to see him in the Octagon - I don't think those numbers would've translated as well (though they still would've been great) had he jumped after a long run, during which time we'd have had plenty of time to get sick of him.

I don't think Brock would have been the bigger star in WWE if he stayed on to be honest. I don't think he was ever able to cut a promo, or connect with the fans like Batista did. I don't think many at all have connected like Batista over the past decade. It's rare you see a shitload of the crowd crying because someone's vacating the title.

Strongly disagree. Brock's promo abilities got better as they went on - they visibly and audibly improved with time (although I find it odd nobody seems to remember he was exactly like Lashley when he started, he had a really ridiculously high-pitched voice for such a big fucker).

I think, given enough time, Brock could've gotten a similar reaction to having to vacate the title. But even if he didn't, it was clear to me at least that he could connect with the fans: they pretty much clamoured for him to turn face during his first championship run.

Archived