WWE NXT

Cobra1000

as the title says, is NXT a success or is it a failure? One year after the debut of NXT, I was reading thisand it got me thinking....

For me I would have to say its been a success in producing talent, and its a different way of getting guys on our screens. Obviously it wasn't quite a success in terms of programming as its now a wwe.com thing only. It provided some great storylines as well, such as the debut of the Nexus, Michael Cole becoming a heel and Daniel Bryan vs The Miz, not to mention some other things.

So Wade Barrett, Daniel Bryan, Alex Riley, Brodus Clay, Justin Gabriel and Heath Slater are just some of the talent that came through the shows. Not to mention the other guys like Otunga etc who all have pretty decent roles on Smackdown/Raw and Kaval won got released.

...and with Johnny Curtis set to debut on Smackdown soonish after his excellent milk promo, there isn't a better time to discuss the pros and cons of NXT.

• Paid Members

I still think it's far too early to judge the success of NXT- time will tell over the years if/when we see the contestants develop. I think going by what we've seen so far it has definitely been a success.

The amount of guys added to the roster that came via NXT is pretty impressive. I know they were under development and therefore would move onto the WWE roster at some point anyway, but I think NXT has been a great way of showcasing the talent and introducing them to the WWE UNIVERSE (I'm so sorry) first. There are so many guys that have potential and guys that to a degree are already there or thereabouts. Wade, Bryan & A-Ri in particular.

The first 3 series were all very good and the 4th wasn't too bad either. Series 5 has been an awful lame duck, you get the feeling it is pure filler whilst they pace themselves and bring in a much better 6th series, rather than sticking all of their top development guys on TV so soon. In addition to having the dregs of the previous series' rookies on the show, the pros appear to be a who's who of a future endeavour list in the not too distant future.

• Paid Members

While the show itself may not be too enthralling to watch at times, it is successful in producing at least one potential star per season, even if that person didn't win (see Brodus Clay, Alex Riley and almost everyone whose been in Nexus). I do think whoever wins the current season should eventually appear on main TV, or at least be given a medal or therapy for having to go through it again.

I'm very much thumbs in the middle on NXT. On the plus side it was the proving ground for Cole's heel character which I was loving until they tried to drag it out way past its sell-by date. He single-handedly made series 3 compulsive viewing.

On the flip side - I dont know what it's acheieved. The likes of Bryan, Barrett and A-Ri would probably have made it without NXT and most of the other contestants were buried beyond belief to the point that it'll be very hard to take them seriously if they ever get called up in the future.

Series 5 has been absolute dross too.

Also - I never understood the voting bollocks. Instead of a show full of meaningless matches why not do something like TUF and have the bottom two wrestle to decide who is eliminated and likewise to decide the winner.

I have only been into wrestling for 6 months but I have to give It a big thumbs down. Imho it's falling ratings and eventual cancellation from US TV proves this.However I have only seen season 4 and most of Season 1.

Apart from the Nexus I believe most of these guys would have got over anyway.

The concept was fine but like most reality TV shows the votes by fans should have actually decided who won. Also the title match should have actually happened the next week on either RAW or Smackdown so it would add continuity between NXT and the other brands.

I understand it is a great testing ground to calculate how over a character can be but maybe they could do it in another way. Suchas there actually being a titlte to fight for and if you defend it x many times you get called up to the main roster?

The most recent one is the only one I've struggled to get through.

No matter how stupid some of the challenges were in the other series, at least there was some decent talent in them, or in the case of S3 some ridiculously over the top and hilarious commentary. Cole and Punk were stars on that show.

But there was genuine talent in at least the first two series, while this latest one not only has the stupidest prize (a spot on the next NXT? Fuck off.) but is made up of people that didn't make it for mostly very good reasons. So what's the point? No one cares about the majority, and the pros have gotten worse too.

• Paid Members
...and with Johnny Curtis set to debut on Smackdown soonish after his excellent milk promo, there isn't a better time to discuss the pros and cons of NXT.

Excellent?! I thought it was pretty stupid.

Initially NXT was really good, and the way it was initially formatted was a great way to help someone find their own characters and maybe run with them. It would have been really good for someone like Colt Cabana, and it could even be a good place to throw some "on the cusp" roster members to see what they can do - people like Curt Hawkins, The Usos, JTG, David Hart Smith and even Zack Ryder could either sink or swim on the show.

With a bit of tweaking NXT could be a really entertaining show. As it stands it's pretty unwatchable.

With a bit of tweaking NXT could be a really entertaining show. As it stands it's pretty unwatchable.

Agreed. It had so much potential. It sort of needed to be a mixture of a Kayfabe Tough Enough and a regular WWE TV taping.

The voting should have been from the fans to decide a bottom 2. They could either "wrestle" to stay on or the loser would be chosen by the pros,

• Paid Members

Agreed. It had so much potential. It sort of needed to be a mixture of a Kayfabe Tough Enough and a regular WWE TV taping.

The voting should have been from the fans to decide a bottom 2. They could either "wrestle" to stay on or the loser would be chosen by the pros,

Listen to Low-Ki's interview with Dave Lagana. It's pretty surprising just how legitimate the contest actually was. There really was a "pros poll", and there was very little guidance to the competing wrestlers. It's a really interesting interview.

Archived