2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

Celtic looked back to the team I thought they would be today. Really good performance. I've been calling for Mulgrew and Wilson at the back since the start of the season and they both looked calm and composed. El Khadouri looks as if he could be a good signing and although he wasn't on for long, Bangura looked good as well. Hopefully we can carry that performance into the Atletico game and Old Firm game.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If me being a dick results in Levein losing his job, then I'm happy enough with that.

Wanting Levein out isn't dickish. Wanting Souness in, though, is pure mental. If you want someone to shake things up then Strachan would be a better bet - if you wanted someone with experience then Walter Smith, who supposedly has 'unfinished business' with Scotland, would be far superior also.

Domestically Rangers, despite many of our fans being morons with ideas beyond our station wanting Ally out, are still undefeated and haven't yet conceded a league goal since opening day - one goal passed in six games is pretty damn good opening form. I'm worried about the tax situation I'll admit, but there's nothing the playing staff can do about it and all we can do is just keep it up.

I think it'd be good for Walter Smith to be the manager with this current crop. Their major problem seems to be in defence and I think that Smith could at least tighten that up. Sure, they'd still be a mediocre back line, but they'd be well organized and difficult to break down which would kinda be the point. I think that Scotland are decent going forward and can cause most defences problems.

Wanting Levein out isn't dickish. Wanting Souness in, though, is pure mental. If you want someone to shake things up then Strachan would be a better bet - if you wanted someone with experience then Walter Smith, who supposedly has 'unfinished business' with Scotland, would be far superior also.

You know for sure that Souness couldn't do the job? I remember hearing that Liverpool bringing back Dalglish in January was a mental move and would result in disaster.

Someone like Souness is perfect for the job. He's at that age where he's not looking to use the Scotland job to launch his club career, which is something that Levein most defintaely would be doing. If Rangers came for him he'd be off like a shot.

• Paid Members
No, I've mentioned on here before that I attend neither Ibrox nor Parkhead. I'll catch the highlights at some point this week though I'm sure.

That's what I meant, did you get to see the highlights or see the game on TV etc.

You know for sure that Souness couldn't do the job? I remember hearing that Liverpool bringing back Dalglish in January was a mental move and would result in disaster.

Someone like Souness is perfect for the job. He's at that age where he's not looking to use the Scotland job to launch his club career, which is something that Levein most defintaely would be doing. If Rangers came for him he'd be off like a shot.

I always saw Levein as more of a Celtic manager type actually. In fact, aren't you due to eat a hat for Levein not yet being in an Old Firm job? I seem to recall that. At least

Souness may be 'perfect' for the job by your odd estimation but then surely so was Burley, and he couldn't do it. He's not really a man manager and he's not a master tactician. He can't sign anyone. He'd be absolutely terrible, and that's from a Rangers fan whose club whose success and notoriety was essentially reinstated by the man.

• Paid Members

Still could at this point.

Why was Burley perfect for the job?

Not really what my post was about (quel surprise) but anyway...

He had experience at making teams greater than the sum of their parts - he got Ipswich into Europe, set up Billy Davies to return Derby County to the Premier League, was doing a great job with Hearts before Romanov pulled the rug from under him and managed to take Southampton up to the playoffs from very little. Plus, he was the best available Scottish manager at the time that wanted the job, even despite the SFA kidding themselves into thinking Sir Alex might consider doing it on a part time basis.

Not really what my post was about (quel surprise) but anyway...

He had experience at making teams greater than the sum of their parts - he got Ipswich into Europe, set up Billy Davies to return Derby County to the Premier League, was doing a great job with Hearts before Romanov pulled the rug from under him and managed to take Southampton up to the playoffs from very little. Plus, he was the best available Scottish manager at the time that wanted the job, even despite the SFA kidding themselves into thinking Sir Alex might consider doing it on a part time basis.

Plus he was a Iwelumo sitter away from being in the playoffs for the World Cup.

Archived